• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

If you had to pick one

Jmanwit

Private
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2010
So if you had to pick one, and have potentially "lesser" versions of other items, what direction would you go for something with Applied Ballistics? The Kestrel 5700, Garmin Foretrex 701, one of the LRF's? I'm trying to minimize needing too many tools, and DEFINITELY avoid needing a phone. I generally use a Dumbphone flip-phone, so if I can avoid that, I'd prefer it. But as I'm an active soldier with 3 kids and other responsibilities, budget is a principle factor. So I can only try to justify one "Pricey" tool. Thoughts?

So if you had to pick one, and have potentially "lesser" versions of other items, what direction would you go for something with Applied Ballistics? The Kestrel 5700, Garmin Foretrex 701, one of the LRF's? I'm trying to minimize needing too many tools, and DEFINITELY avoid needing a phone. I generally use a Dumbphone flip-phone, so if I can avoid that, I'd prefer it. But as I'm an active soldier with 3 kids and other responsibilities, budget is a principle factor. So I can only try to justify one "Pricey" tool. Thoughts?
I would pick the kestrel. And a lesser expensive rangefinder then save up for the terrapin.

Reactions: Jmanwit
With any of them you will want a smart phone for setting profiles. Or have you kids do it on there phone :)
It would be the Kestrel or on of of the RF's for me

I would pick the kestrel. And a lesser expensive rangefinder then save up for the terrapin.
If I went this direction, what is the best budget LRF out there? ELR isn't too big of a consideration, where I am able to shoot 1k meters is max range.

With any of them you will want a smart phone for setting profiles. Or have you kids do it on there phone :)
It would be the Kestrel or on of of the RF's for me
LOL Could I use the computer? I honestly hate smartphones, tbh. But that seems to be another vote for the Kestrel

LOL Could I use the computer? I honestly hate smartphones, tbh. But that seems to be another vote for the Kestrel
It can be done on a PC using the optional Kestrel USB to optical cable and the AB Loader software.

Reactions: 338dude
If I went this direction, what is the best budget LRF out there? ELR isn't too big of a consideration, where I am able to shoot 1k meters is max range.
There are a bunch in the 350 range. Sig kilo 1k. A used bushnell CONX

No complaints on my Nikon 4K black for a good basic rangefinder

I was looking at some Bushnell as well
I’ve personally only had Nikon and Leupold. I wouldn’t recommend Leupold on my experience. Lots of friends have sigs and vortex. Don’t know anything about bushnell, but they are making some good products compared to 15-20 years ago