• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater If you like WWII books

Toebuster

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2005
NY
Been reading "The Fall of Berlin 1945" by Antony Beevor.
Very well written, extremely well researched, historical account of the last months of the Reich, and what was going on behind the scenes between the U.S. the United Kingdom and Russia, as well as Germany.
Not a pretty hollywood type book, does not hold back on the real ugliness and brutality of war.

Highly recommended.

Re: If you like WWII books

Sounds interesting, might take a look when I'm done with a current read.

One I'd recommend is Ghost Soldiers by Hampton Sides. If anyone isn't familiar with it its about the 6th Ranger Battalion rescue mission of POWs in Cabanatuan prisoner of war camp. Very well written and a quick read.

Flyingbullseye

I believe I've read that one. Don't they spend a considerable amount of time describing the initial bombardment of Seelow heights?

my dad loves that stuff ill suggest it to him. im more of a 5min at a time reader
wink.gif

I was i Berlin a couple of weeks ago. I visited the museum island in the former east Berlin. In an unrestored doorframe made of stone in a museum I counted 157 bullet impacts. It must have been one hell of a combat zone.

Either History Channel or Military Channel have a documentary that parallels much of the Ghost Soldiers book.

The Airmen and the Headhunters: A True Story of Lost Soldiers, Heroic Tribesmen and the Unlikeliest Rescue of World War II
Judith M. Heimann

Green Cognac the Education of a Mountain Fighter
William L. Putnam

Always Faithful: A Memoir of the Marine Dogs of WWII
William W. Putney

Also highly recommended (and covering the same timeframe) Cornelius Ryan's "The Last Battle" which covers the Battle of Berlin.

Ryan's work was mostly written just 20 years after the events... and his access to first-person accounts is first rate.

Ghost Soldiers also excellent.

Another really neat read if you can find a copy: The War Magician (about Jasper Maskelyne). He was an amazing Psyops pioneer who used illusion to pull off some of the greatest deceptions of WWII. Incredible story.

Cheers,

Sirhr