• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

If you see that MFN Irish SOB shot that bastige

packratt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2005
VA
Murphy was working major overtime today.

Had about 5 acres of hay I ran out of light last night to bale and another 10 to cut today.

Got the first bale made ant the linear actuator for the netwrap died. Managed to get the old twine I had to work to get hat bale tied. Looked online at the local Deere dealer and according to the website they had the part. Drove up there and they didn't have the part in stock.. Turns out someone came in at 8 this morning and bought the one they had. Ordered one and bought fresh twine.

Got home and changed over to the mower, planning to bale the dry hay this evening and cutting to let the new cut have longer to dry. Move the mower about 300 ft and find out I've got a flat tire. Go home get jack, pull tire , go to shop for repair replace and start cutting. Make about 1/2 of the first loop and suffer a sidewall failure on one of the rear tractor tires (should have replaced last year but had the baler burn up). Borrow a neighbors tractor to finish baling the hay that was dry and the rake breaks while my brother is raking.

Reactions: Nik H
That's just farming. I feel every moment of that story. Thanks for telling, it makes me feel at home and not alone!

Reactions: oneshot86
I was waiting for “and that’s when it started pouring down rain”.

Reactions: oneshot86
I feel your pain. Where I live, one guy has a baler, side-bar cutter and rake, He bales for everybody and at a very reasonable price. He also round-bales for himself and one other guy and then tubes it. I happen to have an old JD that has a lot of horsepower for a utility tractor. It takes some horsepower at the PTO to run a round-baler so he has used my tractor for years. He and his son just brought my rotivator back after his son used it to till his gardens. Sharing equipment and work is just part of small plot farming.

The great thing about older stuff is that it's repairable unlike the current tractors.

Reactions: ArmyJerry
Usually it is one or 2 problems for the season. This time a couple years worth of problems occurred on the same day. Plus this year it's been hard to get 3 sunny days in a row. We keep getting constant downpours. You'd almost think I' m up with 1J04 instead of VA

I have days like that on the farm too. Some days I tell the guys I shoulda just stayed home. But by the time I realize it’s one of those days I’ve got hours of work fixing the random stupid stuff that broke.

I lived on a ranch when I was 14-16 and yeah, shit always broke down. BUT if you had baling wire and duct tape and the occasional weld, you were golden! Hats off to you guys that like that shit, because I was there long enough to know I liked the wide open but did NOT like the work associated with it. Just wasn't my thing.

The only constant in farming is that stuff breaks at the most inconvenient times.

I grew up farming, I still live on 15 acres have haven't totally shaken the bug. I plant about an acre of corn each year as deer bait. I have a circa 1974 IH674. All I had to do was brush hog the 1 acre and a couple more acres of cutting, disc the acre of corn, replant it with a two row planter.

I got half the cutting done, dropped the mower to put on the disc and focus on getting the corn in as it's already June. While hooking up the disc I ran out of diesel....trip to the gas station and 15min to bleed the line and get it going again.

Got two of three needed rounds of discing done. Steering felt loose, stopped, sure enough the whole front steering had come apart and I lost a bolt. Lost a week before I could get a new one and find time to get it fixed.

Finished discing and planted. Lost a cover off the planter, half an hour to locate the missing cover and get it back together.

Another weekend later, finished the cutting. As I finished realized I lost a pin holding the top arm of the three point hitch. No idea how that could have come out but it's gone. Can't do anything with the 3-pt until I find time to get to the dealer during banker's hours which is near impossible with my job.

Farming.....

You guys are nuts
Ain’t that the truth. I’ve sprayed all the ground once so far and have 10,883 acres on the sprayer in less than 200 engine hrs. Which includes drive time and fill time at 66-80 acres a load.

Last edited: