• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

If you use Mil/Mil scope, do it right!

Aannerud

Private
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2018
Hello
Im from Norway so sry for my bad writing!

@Lowlight you often talking about the pros with the mil system and you do prefer this system in your scope, so i wonder..? Why dont you use Metrical wind (meters per second ) and distances (Meters)? One of the pros you talk about with mil system is smaller numbers and then you talking wind in mph..? Big numbers and it don't talk to your mil scope? Zeroing at 100yards with a mil socope that is matching with 100 meters..?

If you are going for the metric system, do it right;)

Hello
Im from Norway so sry for my bad writing!

@Lowlight you often talking about the pros with the mil system and you do prefer this system in your scope, so i wonder..? Why dont you use Metrical wind (meters per second ) and distances (Meters)? One of the pros you talk about with mil system is smaller numbers and then you talking wind in mph..? Big numbers and it don't talk to your mil scope? Zeroing at 100yards with a mil socope that is matching with 100 meters..?

If you are going for the metric system, do it right;)
MILS works equally well with any linear measurement of distance, and kilometers is for countries that haven't been to the moon.

Im not trying to start a metric, imperial discussion. Ifm just wondering why go half way if choosing mil/mil that speaks to the metric system..

Btw. Russa use Metric and was the first country landing a spaceship on the moon;)

I do prefer to use meters/kilometers as most quadrangle maps in the US use UTM coordinates and I became used to it in the service.

Ranges in the US are set up in yards, and many people grew up estimating range in yards while hunting so it’s habit.

A ballistic app will calculate things for you given a zero and target distance once trued so it doesn’t really matter once the math is lined up as the computer does the unit conversion.

The big one is wind in English measurements is easy, a lot of us use the BC method for wind calls which is simple math and very quick.

That should sum it up reasonably well.

I can switch between meters and yards and will at times, but it serves no real purpose in our shooting.

There is no benefit to switching to meters for us here, everything, as noted in the US, is yards, so why convert or confirm a new range when the old one will do.

Saying I am using 2.2 mils to hit 400 yards is no different than saying I use 2.5 mils to hit 400m

Reactions: Rover31
G1 BC on my 190gr Nosler Custom Comp is .530. My wind call is therefore for 5mph, based off my G1 BC rounded down.

0.1mil wind hold for each 100y/m a 5mph wind. 0.2mil for each 100y/m for 10mph wind, etc. Its beer math.

I learned it here. Fast and spot on to 800m for my 308.

I dont see that as an argument, "no one" used mil/mil in US befor either.. And you do arguing for smaller numbers!

But i guess you will convert with time as you did with mil/mil scope? Conver to the metric system inch by inch;)

I dont us Km/h, just ms with the wind.. It problably work the same, its both wind. But the number is smaller so thats why i was wondering..

@TacticalDillhole Yes, is probably all because of the Metrical system... And all the shit happening in US is probably because of the Imperial system?

If you dont have somthing relevant to say then dont..

And you do arguing for smaller numbers!

With wind calls it's not necessary or really practical. There might be someone on the planet that can call less than half value wind, but I haven't met them yet. It is given though, that I haven't met most of the 7.6 billion on the planet.

I think it's also just a case of what you are used to.

I tend to follow a lot of what THLR/Norway/LRProf does - so hear a lot of things being worked with in m/s.

Some of the 'quick wind rules' also seem to be a bit simpler in m/s - but, again, that's more coincidence than by design.

Reactions: Aannerud
Our wind work is better suited to MPH

Nobody uses the metric system here for that it would be a big transition
I’ll even go a step further-

If we look at the wind and think in .1 per 100 for the conditions, ie that is a .2 wind; mph or M/S really is also irrelevant unless you brake out the Kestrel. :) In other words, I do NOT look at the wind and think, hum.. how many mph or M/S is that? I think, hum how many 1/10s is that.

Same as not looking at the impact and thinking that’s X cms or X inches from center.

Scope units for drops and wind speed sure make thing simple.

Last edited:
Reactions: demolitionman
I have never worked with mph. wind so i can’t really argue against, but it’s not intuitive for my head when i hear it i us in podcasts and movies. So for you @The Bloke saying m/s quick rules sound easier is interesting! Thomas Haugland have been a big inspiration for me starting with LH? Whe are lucky to have him here in Norway lik for you having @Lowlight in us!

The simplest answer is, I our brains are trained for those references. We think about things in feet, yards, miles, and MPH. Most of us don't use the metric system once we leave chemistry or physics class. It's just how we see the world. MIL vs. MOA is different because 'most' of us learn this later. Although some are trained in MOA and have difficulty translating to MIL for the same reason.

I'll concede that the metric system is "better" than the Imperial due to the obvious fact it uses a base of 10s. No getting around that. But my brain is stuck on the Imperial as that is what I was taught and have used my entire life.

?

Thank you?
When are you europeans gonna go all the way and ditch 360 degrees in a circle and 60 minutes in an hour? You are talking shit to us but haven't fully transitioned yourselves.

The other thing is this...what business is it of yours how we do what we do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, Guess the imperial system made you like that?

Just asked a simple shooting related question, thought that was what forum was ment for..

My bad!

No its not? 3m/s is 6.71mph.. But you still don’t need to care!
Yeah, I fat fingered the math on that, a perfect example of how bad meters suck...and you are right, I still don't have to care.:p

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, they both do good things for the LR shooting sport for the right reasons?

Conver to the metric system inch by inch;)
There are two types of countries in the world: those that use metric and those that have walked and driven on the moon.

Flag-J-Young-jumping-Apollo-16-Orion-1024x773.jpg

So my question is do you use decimals for m/s or round the numbers to the nearest whole? I’m guessing whole numbers but just wondering.