• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

If you were only going to have one caliber?

Lrdchaos

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2011
Oklahoma
If you could only have 1 caliber for target shooting, deer and antelope out to 500, and maybe the once every 10 years elk hunt, what would it be? Just curious on what everyone would pick, since I’m building a rifle for that exact scenario. I was stuck on the 6.5prc, but I don’t reload so I’m thinking either 6.5cm or 7mm rm.

If there could be only one...

E3C58CF0-AC00-4813-BA26-60EC2375321E.jpeg

Otherwise, I’d also want my ‘06. They’re really a family.

30-06 until it runs out, then make-my-own 260.

ETA:

30-06 for Garand (1000+ handloads in Enbloc clips) and deer rifle. 260 for reach out (129SST, 140SGD), etc., 22lr for basics training, 9mm for HD (Handgun and PC Carbine), 223/5.56 for close in (55-62gr), and MR reach out (75-77gr), 6.5 Grendel for Varmints (90gr) and back to the wall (100 Bernaul, SGD 120gr).

Last edited:
Reactions: BradP and DRAGON64
6.5 Creedmoor
Great selection of reasonably priced target ammo.
can shoot all day without torturing your shoulder.
Easy to spot your own shots more so than 308 or 06
plenty of OOMPH to drop a whitetail DRT at 500 yards.
dropped a large doe at 441 yards a few years ago. I’m a believer

If you reload: .260 Remington
If you don’t: 6.5 Creedmoor

Both of these are great target shooting rounds and both have enough energy to take a deer or antelope at 500 meters.

I’ve never been elk hunting but if I get the chance, I’m gonna take my 260.

Reactions: lash
My son's 6.5 Creedmoor is a great rifle, but that is with handloads. When I look at comfortable ranges that I'm willing to shoot to, www.ballisticstudies.com has some good rules of thumb for velocity floors. Folks will take longer shots and make kills, but the website has some good information based on hunting lots of critters in New Zealand. If I was looking at a hunting rifle and legitimately was looking to factory ammo for 500 yard shots a 7RM would be my choice. I used one for years and re-barrelled that rifle to 338WM, however I have an action that is going to get a Proof CF and be chambered in 7RM so I will have once again. Prone LR target shooting with a 7mm is fun because the high BC 7mm make things easier hence the popularity in F-open (other cartridges than a 7RM). The 7RM does eat barrels, but no worse than a 6.5x284, or 6mm Creedmoor.

Build the gun for 95% of the use. The once a decade maybe potential elk hunt shouldn’t factor at all.

Almost every center fire will kill deer and antelope to ~500 yards. There’s nothing special about the 6.5cm, but it’s popularity is self fulfilling- cheap, readily available, quality ammo with low recoil, etc.