• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

If you were to buy a carbon fiber deer rifle...

My build for a lightweight deer gun.
Manners ultra classic 17oz + 3oz for Area419 arcalok rail
HS DBM
Defiance anTI 21oz
12.5” 300 BLK fluted sporter xcaliber prefit shouldered
VX6HD 1-6 with milrad turrets. 14oz
Hawkins hybrid scope mount 3oz
Should be below 6.5 lbs fully loaded.

Cool thing with the anTI is that I can swap barrel and bolt heads for say a 7mm SAUM and go from short range Bush/deer gun to elk/sheep/long range rig

Pics?

Those shitty low light cellphone pics don't do justice but here:

Hc8O8hw.jpg

JEFjXdF.jpg

DznsCg6.jpg

The short barrel chassis anTI sports the 12.5" bartlein 1:8 twist 300BLK. I originally planned to use my VX-6HD but once I started pushing this little rifle to 600+ yards with supersonic Speer 150 gdhp and 300 yards with 190 Sub-X it clearly wasn't enough scope so I put the Razor LHT HD 3-15x42. Fun fact, I had to hold 2 full mils of wind for 5 MPH crosswind at 600 yards

The Manners ultra classic one I went with the 204 Ruger in a Benchmark #1 taper barrel. I had to use the 20 moa rail because the Accupoint 3-9 has a huge eye piece do to the fiber optic and I couldn't get my medium talley rings to clear the bolt handle. I took that one to 700 yards this weekend with a Berger 40/27.0 gr XBR hand load but factory 40 gr vmax super performance does fine. It is a .75 moa rifle but the really lightweight barrel heats up fairly quick but it's a dedicated coyote rifle for 0-300 yards so it's perfect for what it is.

They're both below 7 lbs.

Still planning to get a 6.5 prc or 7 saum or similar prefit carbon fiber barrel next spring.

Last edited:
I have deer hunting property in TN but looking to purchase land in Wyoming or Montana in a few years...

So long as you vote correctly you'd be accepted.

Finding land that isn't already bought up by Calidiots is going to be a challenge.

Honestly, I'd just go buy a generic mountain rifle. The barrett fieldcraft was the lightest thing out there but it's out of production. For the 1-2 shots you need, a pencil barrel is still lighter than a carbon, the big weight is in the stock. A defiance an-ti in a carbon stock with a steel pencil barrel would be my default for hunting.
Chassis would be miserable. You don't need to hold a chunk of metal when it's -30*. They don't make good enough gloves for that. Plastic, carbon, wood, etc. is always better. It can vary between 80* and -40* during season.

MT is goofy though, as I have places I need a 1 day hike in, set up camp, and hunt for 3-4 days. I don't even gut, just skin and de-bone into meat bags on the spot, and pack out. Other times I just drive down the ranch road, walk a few yards, fill 2 tags, drive up and toss them in the back. Really depends on what you're after, and it's nothing like what the hunting shows would have you believe. I see more deer and elk on the private places where as long as you can shut a gate the rancher will let you drive all over. Public ground can be a nightmare, and you have to go farther than anyone else wants to walk in a day.
And unless you can afford a buy 20,000 acres, don't count on buying a "hunting place". The animals move, a lot. The best bet is to buy any small place and be neighborly, and be able to freely travel several ranches.

Last edited:
View attachment 7382592
Altus Shorty 18" in 6.5 that will get a Razor AMG.
Manners MC Compact stock allows you to save room.
I just did something similar to this with a 20" Proof. The CS2 carries a lot better than I thought it would. Rifle swings easy, little bit a rearward weight bias for sure. Super easy to carry if you don't put a monster optic on it.

Reactions: RC556
LP Ti mid action
22" Proof Carbon 6.5PRC
McMillian A3A Carbon
TT Special
Hawkins BDL BTM
TT 3-15M setting in Hawkins light Tactical rings
TBAC Ultra 7
Weights just over 10 Lbs

Attachments

• IMG_2406.jpg
    IMG_2406.jpg
    1,016 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2407.jpg
    IMG_2407.jpg
    826.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2408.jpg
    IMG_2408.jpg
    666.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2413.jpg
    IMG_2413.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 78
Reactions: deersniper
That's one good looking rifle. Where did you pick up that thumb wheel on that A3? I hate the round ones that come on them.