• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors if you where going to hand a knife to your son?

tao_m

Private
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2007
north aurora il
hey guys, i have been looking for a good blade, one of those that you can use and hand to your son when is time, and some one told me about busse knives.
are this guys worth the money? if you where going to hand a knife to your son what would that be?

Re: busse knives feedback?

strider? i will have to look those up, i just not that knowledgeable about knives.

if you where going to hand a knife to your son what knife would that be?

I'd get him a good folding knife that he can actually use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd get him a good folding knife that he can actually use. </div></div>

Yup get him a Strider SMF or SNG his great grandkids will get it.

that is a good idea! why i did not think about that, i guess i was just exited about a knife, we will be going camping a lot this next few years now that money is tight, and i mean tent camping deep in the woods the way it should be.

busse has a knife to fit most needs, the problem is actually finding the model u want, then finding someone willing to sell at a price that you are willing to pay for it. join bladeforums.com and browse the busse subforum, they also have their for sale forums, busse knives are great, and while most are just way too big and thick, they do have some anorexic models that have perfect balance and feel.

however... have you checked out rat cutlery?? an even better warranty than busse, much more affordable, and those knives are built to last.
smile.gif
fwiw, i sold my only busse to buy a rat rc4 recently.

Busse has great steel. I think most of their blades are overbuilt - too thick and too long. Their active duty knives are relatively small but weighted perfectly. I have a BATAC that was reground by Tom Krein and it is the most useful general purpose knife I own.

Busse is a great knife, but I'll be giving my son a Randall made knife when the time comes.

16 years old, and yes i'm looking for a small to medium size for him, i will check rat models, i just figure i wanted to give him something usefull and symbolic you get what i mean?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Busse is a great knife, but I'll be giving my son a Randall made knife when the time comes. </div></div>

Are you looking to adopt a son? I know the first thought that came to my mind was how to get a model 1 or model 14 when I thought I was going to Iraq...

Lol! I have been a big Randall fan since I was a kid. An old friend of the family carried one in Vietnam and still uses it elk hunting to this day. I don't know that my kids will ever appreciate the quality of a good knife, but it means a lot to me.

For a 16 year old? No doubt, the very best bang for your buck and a great knife for him would be a folding razel. For $35 bucks you get a knife that is worth $100. This knife is so ridiculously over made for $35 that when you get it you won't want to give it to him, you will want it for yourself. They spend more time fitting the micarta scales on this knife than most of the knives talked about thus far spend in total assembly time.

Simply outstanding in all regards and is the right knife for a 16 year old. Your kid gets pulled over with the ones above and he is going to be in deep shit. If he doesn't loose it in a year, then go more expensive. By then, it will already be a favorite.

I know this knife. Complete and utter technical tour de force....$35 bucks? C-R-A-Z-Y value.

2010-01-30093903.jpg

2010-01-30094236.jpg

2010-01-30094206.jpg

2010-01-30094212.jpg

Go here:

http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-River-4035-Combined-Razor-Sharp/dp/B001QFF5KI

Nice to see this, as my father handed me a Randall when I was 16. I still have and treasuer it. I would guess I have 75 other Randalls but I still use this one some. That may be the downside, creating a Randall collector. Could be worse I guess.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Busse is a great knife, but I'll be giving my son a Randall made knife when the time comes. </div></div>

My thoughts, exactly!!

I think more busse knives are collection items in safes than used knives

I would recommend a RAT cutlery knife.They do not cost that much and they have a great warranty. I have a Izula and it is a great little knife. I am 16 years old and I love this little knife.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Babo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't forget the Hide Fighter! </div></div>

It is a great knife...just not a every day knife

I actually just bought my 6 year old a knife he will get in a couple/few years. My goal is to keep it on my hip for a while until he is old enough, and by then it may mean something to him. It's a buck 110 - nothing fancy, nothing custom, just a good sharp stout every day knife. My daily carry is a CRKT carson tactical that is a few years old, or a fairbairn tactical folder from gerber. the gerber see's more pocket time and still looks, feels new. the CRKT developed a nasty habit of opening in my pocket until I sent it back to them and they replaced it with a stronger liner lock with a functional closed detent.

The buck is a timeless hunting knife, and the one i have now has a couple deer and a few squirrels on it so far.

my next knife is going to be a SG4 kit with custom cherry handles from the cherry trees i dropped in my back yard.

I know when I was a kid, I always wanted a swiss army knife with everything except the kitchen sink. Now days a quality multi tool seems to be a better option. The genuine swiss knives are good but I prefer the multi tool. Gerber is a quality brand and Leatherman has improved their quality since their first multi tool. I still have my Gerber but I purchased one of the newer Leathermans and I'm never without it.

Guess it all depends on the intended use of the knife. When my sons turned 18 they both received a Gene Ingram knife. We are a family of hunters and the blades get used in the field.

With wait times of up to two years or more-planning ahead is a good thing.

If you going to give him a folder there are 3 great choices, surefire EW-08, any strider, or any chris reeve all great blades

fixed blade

just add busse and swamprat(cheap version of a busse) to the list above

You need to check out the Bark River Bravo1. If I could own but one knife it would be my trusty bravo 1.
wink.gif

Re: if you where going to hand a knife to your son?

I dont know bout yall but i was born with a yellow handle
CASE XX. if i have my pants on i have my first knife that was ever given to me.other than that i am fond of benchmade or sog desently priced with a desent blade. I carry sog on duty i trust it.

Check out www.knifeforums.com Great knife forums site.

I'm going to give my son a Randal and a Leatherman.

Id' also check out the custom manufactures on bladeforums.com (site seems to be having trouble at the moment).

You can get a custom knife for a great price that should last a lifetime. It won't have the fancy name or collectors appeal but you also won't feel bad for using it.
smile.gif

Try to make your own knive for your son.
Knivemaking is a hobby for me, maybe I will go semiprofessional sometime.
Just now I have six blades out for hardening. Two blades are for my little girls, they are 4 and 6 years old, the girls, not the ... ;o)
They will get their knives made of 420 steel cryo treated (then comparable to average treated 440C), stabilised oak handles from my own trees, handmade leather sheath. First I give them the knives with dull edges. Later I will sharpen the edge till short of the tip. Sometime the knives will be altered from drop point to (little) bowie profile. Cute little knives for my beloved ones.

Try it, it is fun and gives a lot of satisfaction.

I agree. When I redeploy from Iraq I plan on making a knife with my son. It will be something simple since I am a novice at knife making.
3119395812_2a6b261a95_b.jpg

Thats me working on forge welding some cable for a blade.

Jesus Christo Stefan -- if San Diegans saw you doing that near all those dry leaves there would probably be a lynch-mob!
shocked.gif

Thats how I clean my driveway!!!!
laugh.gif

Fire!!

The burner for my forge is a modified weed burner using a shop vac for the forced air.