• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes If you're gonna be dumb- update- thanks Nightforce

wolfman

Sergeant
Minuteman
I thought you'd get a laugh out of this. We had a great weekend of team training and long range shooting this weekend. On Sunday the importance of having replacement parts really hit home. I had staged my gear behind the line while I RO'ed the first relay. Thanks to a brain fade, I put it in the shade- which just happened to be the shadow cast by a minivan. Yes, I'm a dumbass.
blush.gif

You know what's next. Buddy decided to move the van. Drove straight over the rifle. Knocked the rifle over, breaking a bolt on the bipod, flattening the rifle and driving the windage turret into the soft ground. The front posi-align ring was bent sideways, but the rear inserts swiveled like they're supossed to, so the scope tube was fine. I still don't know how the bell escaped getting crushed. I was able to swap rings, throw on a spare bipod and try a couple of rounds at 900- that's where we were, so that's what I had to work with. 4th round went in the 5. This was all before I'd fired a round in the match. I don't know who was happier- me or Buddy- when I was top score at the end of the day.

Spare parts, the right tools, and good notes of scope zeros are damn priceless. The recovery sure did wonders for the confidence.

Re: If you're gonna be dumb, your gear better be tough

Calling JV... Calling JV.....

If there is ANYONE who has experience with vehicles running over rifles... it's JV....
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strickland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Calling JV... Calling JV.....</div></div>

Yes!! Twice, IIRC!!

Yep,I wish i could say that hadn't happened to me!When was younger I had my 10-22 leaned on my friends tire temporarily.I forgot that I left it there because we set up camp on the other side of the truck.He moved the truck for some reason,which resulted in some irrational behavior on my part as I recognized what the crunching sound was. The cheap scope got ruined and stock got scratched.As you get older you learn not to take chances anymore!LOL

I'm glad it all turned out OK for you at the match!

Steve

Pretty good testament to how tough those NF's are!!!

I'm a bit concerned that the errector assembly could be weakend and fail later- like right in the middle of the world championships. I spoke w/ NF about sending the scope in for a mechanical check and they said turn around time is 6 weeks. Run a box test. They won't work since I leave in a month. It would suck to have to resort to a fixed Weaver or another lesser scope, since a new NF is most definatly not in the budget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strickland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Calling JV... Calling JV.....

If there is ANYONE who has experience with vehicles running over rifles... it's JV....
smile.gif

</div></div>

I remember those awhile back.
shocked.gif

Sounds like you were very lucky, or unlucky, depending on how you look at it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strickland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Calling JV... Calling JV.....

smile.gif

</div></div>

You just had to drag me into this, didn't ya!?!
blush.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfman1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I spoke w/ NF about sending the scope in for a mechanical check and they said turn around time is 6 weeks. Run a box test. They won't work since I leave in a month. </div></div>

PM sent with office number - call me in the morning and we'll get it turned around for you to have it back before you leave.

I did the same with my laptop...daughter thought it was going to be totalled but it is a Panasonic Toughbook - still works fine....not a scratch on it..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NF Optics-Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfman1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I spoke w/ NF about sending the scope in for a mechanical check and they said turn around time is 6 weeks. Run a box test. They won't work since I leave in a month. </div></div>

PM sent with office number - call me in the morning and we'll get it turned around for you to have it back before you leave. </div></div>

WOW! Makes me even happier that i own one!

Hey Wolfman

Could you give us an update.

Trevor

A huge thank you to NF-Optics Bill and the fine folks in Idaho. I recieved the scope back today w/ a clean bill of health. Now I can continue to compete w/ a clear mind. Thanks Bill and Ken!

Just a follow up to say that the scope performed extremly well during 2.5 weeks for shooting at the Imperial Meeting and F Class WC's. Lots of cranking up, down, and ton's of left wind when at the top of the availible travel, and no problems. Many, many thanks to Nightforce for their quick service and fantastic product.