• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Ig'nant question fo' the day...

noahmercy

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 7, 2010
Sheridan, Wyoming
Why are most all of the rifles I've seen on this site wearing one-piece scope bases? Is there any inherent accuracy advantage to be had?

I have always proceeded from the assumption that there was less chance of putting stress on the receiver or scope with two-pices. And since my bolt guns are all top-load, I like the less restrictive access. My 70 HV shoots far batter than I am currently capable of, and it has always worn individual bases...first one inch Weaver-style, then 30mm double dovetails. I recently installed 20 MOA picatinny bases to facilitate shooting stuff in the next time zone, and groups are still gratifyingly small.

I'd sure appreciate any insight you folks could offer on the one versus two piece debate.

Re: Ig'nant question fo' the day...

It adds some structural rigidity to the action. But, the biggest advantage is that you can check the trueness of the action while installing a one piece and bed it if needed.