• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Ignoring Extractor Marks on Rem700's?

punkwood2k

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2013
Green Valley Ranch, CO
When developing loads, it seems that most of you / us use ejector markings as an indicator of high pressures.. But I am starting to question it on my R700... My bolt face is textured as a factory finish.. The ejector button is polished.. So no matter what load I use, I ALWAYS get what looks like an ejector mark.. I polish my cases because I'm OCD, so with every shot, the case head gets roughed up by the textured bolt face, while the ejector button keeps its small portion shiny.. The result is it LOOKS like ejector marks, but in reality, it has nothing to do with high pressures at all.. I have to assume I'm not the only one with a textured R700 bolt face... what do you think about it?

Last edited:
Are you talking about EJECTOR marks? Small circles on the case head are indicative of ejector marks, usually signaling high pressure.

Are you talking about EJECTOR marks? Small circles on the case head are indicative of ejector marks, usually signaling high pressure.

dammit, yeah, I meant "Ejector" marks.. sorry, was in a hurry.. :)

Yeah, it USUALLY signals high pressure.. But at least as near as I can tell, it is leaving ejector marks, and I KNOW its nothing to do with high pressure, because it happens on EVERY shell, at EVERY charge, even some that are below published start loads.. No flattened primers, no sticky bolt, but ejector marks on every case.. And I think its because the textured face of the bolt is roughing up my polished case head everywhere except the ejector button.

If you have brass flowing into the ejector and it leaves a circular bulge sticking out from the base of the case it is a sign of high pressure. If you have ejector marks you will also have case expansion in the unsupported base of the case.

Below anything over .001 of an inch base expansion is considered a sign of excess pressure. BUT this is not written in stone because brass hardness plays a big part in reading this sign.

flow_zps2b838d87.gif

My scrap brass bucket below contains primarily factory loaded Federal .223 brass that the primer pockets stretches so badly they were not reloaded due to soft brass after the first firing.

193natorejects001_zps87560a0a.jpg

ARpressure_zps8e24342b.jpg

Case-Head Swipe | Shooting Illustrated

If you have brass flowing into the ejector and it leaves a circular bulge sticking out from the base of the case it is a sign of high pressure. If you have ejector marks you will also have case expansion in the unsupported base of the case.

Below anything over .001 of an inch base expansion is considered a sign of excess pressure. BUT this is not written in stone because brass hardness plays a big part in reading this sign.

Wait.. an ejector mark is a raised semi-circle BULGING from the case base? WTF? I've never heard it that way before.. Its always been just "ejector marks".. Like I said, almost ALL my cases have a shiny semi-circle from the ejector, but I've never encountered a RAISED ejector mark.. Could that mean that I've been reading the pressure signs wrong all this time? I've even tested up to 1.0gr above Max, and never seen a RAISED ejector mark.. Honestly, even my primers that I inquired about weren't "flattened" by most of your standards. Wow.. that one little extra tidbit of info just changed my whole game.. lol..