• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I'll ask.. AR accuracy question

seanhagerty

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2010
Near Fort Leonard Wood
I was reading a thread here about a 223 barrel swap in the searchof accuracy. One of the posts mentioned working the AR over to improve accuracy.

I guess I am a newb, I think accuracy with an AR is determined by:

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]The Barrel/Bolt [*]The Trigger [*]The Optics [*]The Shooter[*]The Load [/list]

What else is there I could work on?

Sean

Re: I'll ask.. AR accuracy question

How about
- The assembly of parts - free float barrel, stock or receiver loosness

- environmental conditions - wind, mirage, temperature, pressure

The barrel and shooter to me are the most important, the rest can be minimal. With that said, you cant give a bad shooter a great barrel or a great shooter a bad barrel and expect good results. Remember that accuracy depends on repeatability and gas guns can be picky when trying to get everything just right since there are so many moving parts. The fundamentals of shooting stay the same but you better be on them since a gas gun will amplify any problem you have.

The best thing you can do to improve your accuracy is practice, practice, practice.

Free-float a good 8-twist or 7-twist barrel. That's it. That's all.

Free float handguard, I missed mentioning that. Practice is the big thing at this point.

OK, thanks for the help all. I was concerned I missed something.

Most important thing is an 8" or 7" twist in the 18-20" range with some good JHP ammo like the 62/62/75/77 grain in a free floated bbl. The upper/lower fit really dont have that much to do with it as the sight picture is stationary with the upper.

A good trigger is the best way to ensure you dont move the rifle much and there are so many optics choices it's really up to what you want to accomplish and what you want to spend.

I think the SWFA super-snipers and Leupold Mk AR scopes and Burris are excellent values in thier price range.

One of my most accurate AR's is a Mode1sales.com SS fluted 20" 8" twist with a .223 rem chamber. It is sub .5MOA capable, even w/wolf ammo.