• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Illuminated or not...

CoCaDoRi

revived old guy
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2001
South Central North Dakota
What is the "need" or not for an illuminated reticle for matches... I get there's a "cool" factor to have it but is it a necessary thing and/or requirement for any stages in any of the matches...?

Reactions: TACC
The only matches I have seen where it would be useful are the handful of night time/suppressed only matches. Outside of that, in the 5 years I have been shooting precision rifle matches, I can think of maybe 1-2 targets I've looked at and kinda wished for an illuminated reticle.

I used it on very grey days when the steel is grey/unpainted and I feel like it helps.

I use it on shot up steel, on steel set into darker areas etc. it helps draw the eye faster. Today in the scope business no reason not to have a scope with an illuminated reticle for the times it may be needed.

Reactions: Diver160651
Rob01, while I agree; I like keeping things simplest, and will not put my trust in batteries. Call me a Neanderthal...

Greg

That's why you carry extra batteries because they are cheap and even if it dies then you are no worse off than if you didn't have illumination.

I’ve shot 95% of matches without an illuminated reticle and never thought about needing one.

I just recently added a scope that has one, and can now see a couple situations where it could be worth turning on. Like Rob pointed out, there’s really no downside to having it, but don’t feel like you’re at a disadvantage without one.

That's why you carry extra batteries because they are cheap and even if it dies then you are no worse off than if you didn't have illumination.

Dang, and why didn't I think of that? Second thought, don't reply, I already know I'm hopeless...

Greg

Lol hardly hopeless Greg.

So of the field matches where the set targets behind loops and purposely in the shadows in the trees it is nice. It is especially nice if the targets are black.

Also on the NRL22 matches in the winter, while we have a light on the range, without the illumination it is REALLY hard to index on the plates in the shadows.

Not exactly on topic but when hunting I still use a PR match style FFP, I turn it way down if I think I might run up on an animal at closer range so I get a large 40’ FOV (at 100). I then I crank the illumination- what I get is basically a great duplex at let’s say 3x where I would not need subtentions anyway. I do this even in the full sunlight. It really makes all those SFP arguments null and I get the consistency by using the same type of scope I run thousands of rounds a year through.

I am with @Rob01 - just no need not to have daylite illumination available today.

Reactions: PAYDIRT
Agreed with posts above.

Especially if your reticle is dipping under .035. The illumination helps when it starts blending in with bare steel.

Good glass gives you approx 1.5 hrs of daylight. Illuminated reticle.....what for?....it doesn’t help at night for coyote sniping.
Not sure how many dogs you have killed, but for me, hunting at night from jan - march, and dawn and dusk the rest of the year, a luminated reticacle makes a huge difference. I also use a illuminated reticle on my deer gun and muzzleloader

The older I get the more beneficial an illuminated reticle becomes. As stated above there really isn't any down side to having that function on board.