• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Illuminated reticle for PRS style matches?

Ranger Bob

SFC, USA, Ret.
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2011
Sanger, Texas
rangermadeknives.com
I've been away from any kind of precision shooting for several years and have just been getting some time to start back up over the last couple months. I have a Tikka CTR in 6.5CM that is a good shooter and I'm thinking about signing up for a league at my local range. Currently I'm shooting with a Bushnell XRS that I borrowed off of my .300WM but, I'm looking for a dedicated optic for the Tikka now. The only illuminated reticle I have any experience with is the ACOG on my AR which I like but, that's a different kind of shooting.

I know I want a 56mm objective, HD glass and a 34mm tube. I am also really liking the idea of the reticles with the center point dot. My question is, do I need an illuminated reticle? Is the illuminated reticle useful in matches?

ETA- I would also be interested in recommendations. I prefer MILs and my max budget is $2k.

Bob

I've never felt like I needed an illuminated reticle in the 20+ PRS matches I have shot.

It doesn't have a 56mm front lens, but I'd suggest taking a good hard look at the XRS2. I think you'll be quite pleased with the price you can get through their MIL discount program, too.

Reactions: Ranger Bob
With the GAP free kestrel deal, the scope is cheaper than the MIL/LEO prices.

I have an XRS2 on my gun and I've never felt the need for illumination. Granted, I live in a desert, so usually I'm not shooting in low light conditions, but I have shot on rainy days and cloudy/overcast days. Would have been nice, but it wasnt an issue honestly.

With the GAP free kestrel deal, the scope is cheaper than the MIL/LEO prices.

I have an XRS2 on my gun and I've never felt the need for illumination. Granted, I live in a desert, so usually I'm not shooting in low light conditions, but I have shot on rainy days and cloudy/overcast days. Would have been nice, but it wasnt an issue honestly.

Last I'd looked, GAP hadn't updated the site to match the change in MAP from a while back, but that's changed. Yeah, if you don't already have a Kestrel, their combo deal is a screaming deal.

Only needed illumination for evening/night matches. These are usually one day and not the norm.

If your area/club doesn’t do any of that, you won’t need illumination.

Not going to touch if you need illumination or not, because depending on the weather conditions, range environment, target condition, and your eyes, you may or may not need it (at least on a low setting for contrast).

If you’re LE/Mil, which I’m assuming you are based on name/tag, there are quite a few manufacturers with awesome discount programs. Will definitely help you getting a nice setup for at your budget or take you to the next level just over that budget.

If you don’t mind used, there are always some S&B PMII’s popping up for $2k in the PX. I can’t remember seeing an ATACR going for $2k in there, but I already have two so I just scroll past.

Best of luck! ?

Illumination is nice to have and IMHO any scope over $1000 should have it. I use it when shooting into darker areas or on darker shot up targets as it allows a better aiming point. Not all the time but nice to have if needed.

Sounds like the Vortex Razor Gen II HD 4-5-27x56 with the EBR-7C (MRAD) would meet your req’s, saving you a little for perishables. IMO when an illuminated reticle is needed, these work well as the entire reticle is lit vs others out there.

There’s better out there but for the money these are hard to beat...

Last edited:
Sounds like the Vortex Razor Gen II HD 4-5-27x56 with the EBR-7C (MRAD) would meet your req’s, saving you a little for perishables. IMO when an illuminated reticle is needed, these work well as the entire reticle is lit vs others out there.

There’s better out there but for the money these are hard to beat...

I've been watching some NRL videos on YouTube and the Vortex Razor II's seem to be very popular.

Bob

Reactions: TACC and Rob01
It is definitely not required for your average match. Illumination is usually NOT daytime bright in this style of scope, so only becomes useful at night/lowlight or in rare cases against very dark targets/backgrounds on a less bright day.

I like to have illumination on my FFP scopes, but I use mine at night/low light on some of my rifles.

Reactions: TACC
I have decided to save myself some money and give this a try. No illumination.

Athlon Midas TAC 5-25x56 APRS3 FFP MIL HD

Brownells had it in stock and they were offering a 10% off code today so this may just be a excellent score for the money. Of course money was not the only factor; I was willing to spend more but, after scrutinizing the specs and checking out dozens of reviews, both on the Hide and YouTube...well, it seemed to be the sleeper deal of the year. Honestly, I think I bought it out of curiosity more than anything.

Bob

I run non illuminated on my match rifles. I’ve yet to encounter a stage where it was needed during daytime matches. You can sometimes find non illuminated ATACR 5-25x56s on the optics classifieds for between $2k-$2400

If you’re going to spend time dicking around on a stage it would be put to much better use building a more solid position, adjusting parralax, or reading mirage than messing with illumination.

I seriously can’t think of a single occurance during daylight hours that I have ever even though about turning the illumination on for a bolt gun. Illumination is for low light conditions, on most good long range scopes the illumination doesn’t even get bright enough to see it during the day since it’s useless.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
You turn it on before the stage. Simple. No dicking around. ;)

Reactions: camocorvette
I haven't used my illumination in a match, but could totally see where it could be useful shooting some field matches shooting into darker background (trees etc) and shot up steel.

Most of my scopes have illumination and I've never put the batteries in any of them. I could see where illumination would be handy but I've never run into those situations at a match.

Apologies for the slight threadromancy, but I just wanted to keep everyone's thoughts all in one place ...

A year and a half on, with a range of new optics in the market, and new styles of matches being strongly discussed, what are everyone's thoughts on illuminated vs non?

My specific interest is not so much in PRS-style comps, but more of the 'find it, range it, engage it' style field comps that Lowlight has been exploring ...

Definitely get an illuminated reticle. No reason not to get one and they will help at times.

Definitely get an illuminated reticle. No reason not to get one and they will help at times.
Biggest thing that I am considering right now is the quality of the optic and being able to keep it below the production class limits. Starting to look into the Leupold Mark5 HD (My razor HD doesn't qualify). I can get this without illumination, but adding it breaks the limit

Biggest thing that I am considering right now is the quality of the optic and being able to keep it below the production class limits. Starting to look into the Leupold Mark5 HD (My razor HD doesn't qualify). I can get this without illumination, but adding it breaks the limit

Well if you have your heart set on Production then you have to make the choice. Personally I think production is a joke of a division now with the crazy prices limits but get what keeps you in.

I haven’t shot that much prs, and the matches I have shot I used it once for an offhand shot, ffp scopes on low mag equal very fine crosshairs - it was nice but not critical

I also just shot a night match, 2nd place of 50 shooters didn’t have illumination, he probably would have Won if he did, it cost him Time, but he beat my ass with my illumination because he executed on the clock better

Well if you have your heart set on Production then you have to make the choice. Personally I think production is a joke of a division now with the crazy prices limits but get what keeps you in.
Haha. I think the joke is on me then. Going to shoot PRS for the first time this year. I was going to build out my dream rifle, but didn't want to be the newbie with a $10k setup who poops the cradle.
Out of curiosity, why do you think the production division is a joke? Maybe I should just pull the tigger on the PMII that I want and call it a day

Haha. I think the joke is on me then. Going to shoot PRS for the first time this year. I was going to build out my dream rifle, but didn't want to be the newbie with a $10k setup who poops the cradle.
Out of curiosity, why do you think the production division is a joke? Maybe I should just pull the tigger on the PMII that I want and call it a day

Production used to be good as it had sane cost limits and most coming in were newer shooters shooting their rifles they had or putting something together to get them in the sport. Now with limits at $2500 and multiple companies basically building custom rifles for production and experienced shooters dropping to production to get trophies and pushing out the spirit of the division it is a joke to me. So I would say buy what you want and go shoot. Just my opinion though.

Production used to be good as it had sane cost limits and most coming in were newer shooters shooting their rifles they had or putting something together to get them in the sport. Now with limits at $2500 and multiple companies basically building custom rifles for production and experienced shooters dropping to production to get trophies and pushing out the spirit of the division it is a joke to me. So I would say buy what you want and go shoot. Just my opinion though.

...which is why the rifle I ordered from Masterpiece Arms sucked me in. $0.01 below the threshold. I guess I'm another victim of marketing. Thanks for your thoughtful response. Totally makes sense.
Cheers

...which is why the rifle I ordered from Masterpiece Arms sucked me in. $0.01 below the threshold. I guess I'm another victim of marketing. Thanks for your thoughtful response. Totally makes sense.
Cheers

You aren’t a victim. You got a really good rifle. Actually people buying the “production” rifles like that are actually getting a great deal and much better rifle than most of us got years back on custom rifles but it’s just the idea of “production” division that’s flawed now. You can get a scope that keeps you under and shoot it but know you will be shooting against top shooters and not just new shooters and at that point might as well buy what you want and shoot open. Either way have fun.