• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Illuminated reticle in PRS

va_connoisseur

Private
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2018
I’m new to the PRS world, only competed in 3 matches so far. I just upped my rifle to a RPR and am looking to move up from the Athlon Argo 6-24. I like the Midas Tac but it does not have an illuminated reticle.

I did not see a reason to use it in any of my past matches. Is there something I am missing? I noticed most of the higher end optics have illuminated reticles, so what am I missing?

I could step up to an Ares BTR or PST Gen II, if it is something I need. Thanks in advance.

The only time an illuminated reticle might truly be useful is if you decide to shoot one of the (currently rare) night matches. I've never needed one, even in heavily overcast conditions with dark targets and backgrounds.

i've only ever used it once in a match, at Pigg River there was a target in a cut in the woods that was all shot up and in the shade of the trees.

even then i didn't NEED it, but it helped a little.

i wouldn't worry about it

i've only ever used it once in a match, at Pigg River there was a target in a cut in the woods that was all shot up and in the shade of the trees.

even then i didn't NEED it, but it helped a little.

i wouldn't worry about it

Thanks for the info. I plan on shooting Pigg River a couple times this year.

I’m seriously considering that Midas Tac. This may have tipped it.

I use illumination from time to time at matches on darker shot up steel, steel back into darker areas, and some other times when i need the reticle to stand out for me. I wouldn't use a scope without it but it's up to the end user. It's one of those things that you don't think you need it until you do.

Is your other option with illumination daylight visible?

If not, only time you’d use it is evening.

I have it in several and though I argue that it’s uslessness for huntjng I do find myself using it sometimes just because it’s cool to look at.

I do this .22 night match where the targets are at 100 in an illuminated bay, with the reticle lit up its like I’m shooting in tron or something.

But not necessary.