• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Illuminated Reticle Yes or No???

RAVEN3613

Private
Minuteman
Hi All, Newbie and was curious about some glass for a DPMS SASS. I was curious if it is worth getting a scope with an IR??? Any opinions or suggestions??? Thanks in advance, Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

-RAVEN12-

Re: Illuminated Reticle Yes or No???

Predator hunting they come in handy, never needed to use one on big game even
though they were at the ready.

Get it. As my grandpa always said " U never really need it until u realize u don't have it." and as a lot of guys on here would say. Buy once cry once.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RAVEN12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was curious if it is worth getting a scope with an IR???</div></div>For what purpose?

Although most never use the ones they have. It is REAL handy to have one if you do wind up needing it.

I actually have used mine more to contract a dark target than I have for low light shooting.

They are handy.

Do you have issued night-vision equipment? Because I've not yet gotten around to 'seeing' how the introduction of a light source so close to the eye improves night vision.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have issued night-vision equipment? Because I've not yet gotten around to 'seeing' how the introduction of a light source so close to the eye improves night vision. </div></div>

No night-vision equipment issued. We're a small department and get hosed with our budget, because of our Commissioners!!! They question everything we request and their answer for everything is usually "NO".

Matter of fact the rifle mentioned was bought personally. It was approved by my Under Sheriff. We have a bolt action Remington model 700 w/Leupold Scope (no mil dots though???), but I like the SASS better. I want to put glass to it, but was curious about IR. If that's not a good idea, then I was thinking the SWFA SS, WoTac, or Falcon Menace. I've asked other sources, and just trying to narrow down a decision from folks that have the expertise
wink.gif

-RAVEN12-

Mini cyalume stick, taped to the barrel a few inches in front of the objective, with a light baffle to block any shine forward.

Light discipline violation? Maybe, but all those illuminated reticles aren't all that perfect that way either. Even ARD's aren't perfect at night, took a few friends of mine less than 5 minutes to prove that one night, busted one with just a flashlight. Imagine what an I/R source could do without your even knowing it. LL was there, he can confirm. 2002, SOA, Whittington.

Greg

I have had illuminated reticles on a couple of rifles and I think they were great. There was one deer that I shot on the move on a very hazy snowy day if it had not been forthe illun=minated reticle I would have lost the crosshairs in the brush while I was swinging

Buy the best scope that you can. Chances are, if it's premium glass, it will have that feature available for use. You don't have to put the battery in. In fact, I have several NF's that I have never cracked the battery cover on.

Better to have and not need than need and not have.

I'd be worried about getting a scope that tracks repeatably and reliably first and foremost, esp if its a duty rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Better to have and not need than need and not have.

I'd be worried about getting a scope that tracks repeatably and reliably first and foremost, esp if its a duty rifle. </div></div>
+1
I cant imagine there are many duty rifles out there with the glass you listed. SWFA SS, WoTac, or Falcon Menace.

I ordered the IR on my new SN-3. I have seen where an illuminated reticle would be handy especially on a FFP scope.

HOWEVER as an active duty Sniper, you know you can only shoot what you can ID. So if you can convince someone to shell out the cash, then night vision is where it's at.

For me it's a "better to have and not need, then to need and not have."

On the "duty rifle optics". I will say that my current duty rig is sporting a Falcon Menace 4-14x44FFP. It's not optimal and if someone was handing me cash, then I would have started out with a Mk4 at a minimum. Before I allowed the current rig to be used it went through two schools, one competition and a good deal of shooting and turret cranking. It works. If you decide to go the same route it is YOUR responsibility to do the QC and make sure it will stand up to your use. Remember, the "mid-level" scopes we have today are still miles above what was available in ages past, but that won't save your butt in the courtroom.

Our new "department purchased" rifles will most likely be equipped with Mk4's because I don't think I am going to be able to convince them to go with Nightforce or USO.

Reactions: aku

Hey Gents, Thank You for all the info thus far ... very much appreciated. I guess my biggest problem right now, is that I'm buying the scope on my own and can't afford something real expensive just yet. I know for a fact that my department won't be shelling out any cash for a high dollar scope. I can afford between $300 and $400 right now, until I can save up for something better ...that's why I mentioned the other scopes in that price range. Again, Thanks Much Guys.

-RAVEN12-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RAVEN12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm buying the scope on my own and can't afford something real expensive just yet. I know for a fact that my department won't be shelling out any cash for a high dollar scope. I can afford between $300 and $400 right now...</div></div>Then forget about illumination, save your money, use what they give you, and leave your personal rifle at home. Or, get a credit card and carry a balance for a few months until you can pay off at least a NF and good set of rings.

If I had to trust one as an interim scope I'd go with the Super Sniper 10X 0r 16X. They are reliable and repeatable and have the longest quality "bargain scope" reputation.
However, Law enforcement sometimes needs the wider field of veiw a variable will offer over the fixed mag.
For a duty gun, you may be able to find a a Leupold VariXIII or MK4 PR in 3.5-10 or 4-14 magnification range with a duplex reticle. As long as you have resettable target turrets you're fine. You can live without a ranging reticle for LE engagement ranges.

We just received two of the Burris 3-12 Illuminated XTR scopes and they have been pretty damn good for the money. These are on department duty rifles as well. I think we paid around $650 each...

Since it will be a "working gun", I guess if it were me I'd be letting the mission drive the gear. I am in a similar situation right now where I'm rethinking much of our gear and its applicability to possible scenario's we will have to address.

Look back at previous callouts...how many have been at night? What about potential scenarios...will they be in areas where ambient illumination will suffice with unlit reticles?

If your analysis indicates a low/no liklihood of needing an illuminated reticle, then don't wast the money(especially since you seem to be on a tight budget). If however you find that most of your work will be after dark, then it might merit spending the $.

I have a relatively cheap CenterPoint 4-16x40 AO (like $70), it has the illumination red/green on the left turrent. For the price its very clear from 50 yards up to 400 (haven't shot farther yet).

I've never had to use the IR but I'm sure it'll come in handy on those early morning/late evening hunts when I can't see the tiny black reticle on dark trees or animals.