• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Illuminated vs non-illuminated, SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 advice

Shadows5

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2013
Michigan
I am trying to determine if I should spend the extra $$ to get illuminated version of the SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 MRAD scope,
verses just the standard non-illuminated version.
I will be shooting in Michigan at varying ranges, and possibly shadowed by trees.

Can anyone offer advice?
Is it worth extra $$?

Thanks in advance.

:confused:

Depends when in the day you plan on shooting. If just during prime daylight hours no, otherwise if you want it go for it. If you watch the FS section you can pick up an illum model for the same price of a new non-illm model. Keep in mind the 5-20 illumination is not exactly stellar in its implementation. If done correctly it would be just a small dot in the center cross hair, however it actually bleeds to the rest of the reticle and can/will blur some of the reticle. Where in Michigan are you located?

I owned both. I never used the illumination, not once. In low light conditions, the scope performed well enough to not need it. The glass clarity and brightness are outstanding on those HD's. Unless you are truly going to use it, I'd go with the non-illuminated.

I decided to go with the non-illuminated, since it really doesnt sound like much of an advantage. thanks for the advice! And as my luck would have it I have seen any used SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 listed in the last week or so, and had to buy direct from SWFA.

Congrats on your purchase! I too am in the same predicament with the same scope. After reading a bunch of reviews I think I'm going to save my money and go with the non-illuminated because I'm a bit of a perfectionist and if the illumination bleeds or is not stellar it would bother me every time I looked through the scope. Let me know how you like the scope once you've used it a bit. I will be ordering one in a few weeks. Thanks.

I have the illuminated version ill be buying the non-illuminated for my next optic unless I go with a different brand. It's not worth the extra money in my mind for how poorly the illumination works.

It's really too bad that the illumination is what it is on this scope because SWFA typically makes some pretty good stuff. I wish they'd figure this out because I'd like to get an illuminated model but for the extra money and the sub par performance I have no interest.

I was you several weeks ago, but after posting virtually the same question here, I got the same response - the illumination is not worth the extra coin.

So, I ordered the non-illuminated model a month ago and couldn't be happier:

SWFA 5-20 SS HD non-illuminated - mounted on an FN SPR A5M w/ 20 MOA base:

P1010437-1_zps7ade5c42.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DangerRanger
I own both...trust me, you can absolutely get away with the non-illuminated. The illuminated is good, but not especially great. I use it sometimes (I think, just to 'use' it)

I also had the opportunity to try an illuminated version at a recent match.... All I can say was turning that illumination dial was a BITCH! Don't know if others were as hard to turn....

I'd opt for the illuminated if I wasn't stretching the budget already. If you need nothing else for your rifle and have the cash why not splurge for one extra feature. If you need funds for other accessories or projects then go non-illumniated.

I just got my 5-20 I ordered in Dec. The scope is awesome, but the illumination sucks. With a new battery, I can only see the mli dots lit on high power and if you turn the dial down I can't see anything below #8. I called SWFA and they said that's all there is. It's useless as far as I'm concerned unless I got a bad scope.

Yes, the illumination is bad. It is so bad they should be embarrassed. The only other gripe........... side focus and magnification adjustment are really stiff and hard to get a grip on. Otherwise a pretty good scope....... really like mine.

Yes, the illumination is bad. It is so bad they should be embarrassed. The only other gripe........... side focus and magnification adjustment are really stiff and hard to get a grip on. Otherwise a pretty good scope....... really like mine.

I own two of the non-illuminated models, and i am going to agree with the stiffness of the side focus knob, the one is almost so hard to that you can hardly turn it with 3 fingers on it, the other scope is much smoother, but i would still consider it quite stiff. For my 2 cents, i've never looked through an illuminated model, but i've never wished for it. At 5x the scopes are nice and bright with good contrast, even shooting in lower light situations.

I like the illumination on my 1-6x, which I really only use on 1x. There is no SF so it might be a little better. When I get the 5-20x it will be non- illuminated.

I just got my 5-20 I ordered in Dec. The scope is awesome, but the illumination sucks. With a new battery, I can only see the mli dots lit on high power and if you turn the dial down I can't see anything below #8. I called SWFA and they said that's all there is. It's useless as far as I'm concerned unless I got a bad scope.
Have you guys used the scope to actually shoot something at long range, 20 or more minutes after sundown? That's what the illumination is for in this scope. While it may look ugly in the daylight, if you actually ever use it in the field for its intended purpose, you'll find it works quite well. If you never do that then you don't need the illumination.

I have had it out a dusk and I see your point, It does work well without the chance of destroying your night vision, but optimally with 11 settings they could have brightened it up a bit and let the shooter choose the setting. My question I guess was is this the norm, or is mine not working proper.

For the small premium it fetches ($200) I would opt for the illumination.
While it is possible that you will never need it, if you ever do, you will kick yourself for opting not to get it.

Joe

After owning the illuminated version (i got it during the first FB deal for $999) i would not buy it if i had to pay for it. Super stiff knob to turn, could only see on the upper setting, and it bled over on the highest two settings making it blurry. The parallax knob was comical in how difficult it was to turn, sitting behind the illum knob. The glass was good enough at dusk that i never used it anyway. Spend the xtra $200 on ammo.

I'll buy more SS 5-20 but they will all be non-ill. I have an illuminated model, it is useless plus I don't need it anyway and other than that this scope is outstanding.

Strange, as a police SWAT sniper I use the SS 5-20 on my back up rifle and have deployed it in various conditions where I needed the illuminated reticle and it has been great for my application. I do not need the entire cross hair screaming at me like on my NF scopes, just a non bleeding reference point. The slightly illuminated dot in the center is perfect and when we do our night shoots I always take the SS and not the NF for that reason. When ever the message goes out after dark that is the scope I grab. I understand my application is different then some but for police use its great. I also run the SS 1-4 on my M4 and the illumination is totally different and very good for both CQB and short distance applications.

Sully

My question I guess was is this the norm, or is mine not working proper.
It's working. It's intended for precision shots in the dark. Like this:

PICT0296.JPG

If it's light enough you can see your reticle, you don't really need it.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't complain if they improved the illumination on this scope to give it a wider range of brightness with less bleed. But when people say it doesn't work or is useless, that's just not right. If you actually try and shoot something in the dark with it, it really works quite well. A really pretty reticle all lit up does you little good when you can no longer see the target, as is the case with many scopes.

I will be shooting in Michigan at varying ranges, and possibly shadowed by trees.

Good to see another Michigan resident!

I have two 5-20's, both are illuminated, got them as soon as they came out and I also have some other brands that have the feature.

I hunt coyote and ground hogs in SW Michigan wood lots and a few open fields, also deer, coyote and p-dogs in Montana which is mostly wide open spaces. I shoot steel on a 1000 yard range regularly. My hunting has put me in some dim areas or times of day but I have yet to ever need the illumination in the field or on the range. But it is nice to know it is there should the need arise. That said, about the time I cant see the reticle anymore, hunting hours are over and I really doubt I will ever need it unless I shoot a comp requiring low light shots.

It just depends on what, where and when your shooting.

I like the scope enough to say I see one or two more in my future and when that time comes they wont have illumination .

edited to add, I now see you made your choice back in march... how do you like the optic?

Last edited:
What scopes would you compare the low light ability of these?

I had to decide also. I finally chose to "buy once - cry once" and got a NF w/illumination. Couldn't be happier. And I don't have to send it in for repair.

Don't see any need in illumination except for rare hunting situations near dawn and dusk. Have never needed illumination on any of my scopes and most who have it never use it! Big waste of money to me.

My 1-6 illumination is useless in the day time.

srt-4 not to sound like I am busting you but why would you need to use the illumination on the 1-4 or 1-6 in the day time? The entire reticle is designed to not need to be on for day/bright light. I never use my illumination on for day entry work unless we are hitting the target at night. That is what makes it different then the Aimpoint Comp 3 and E-Tec type scopes. I don't even use my BUIS and shooting day time with the 1-4 CQB and shoot house work I find the lack of illumination to be a positive factor.

Sully

srt-4 not to sound like I am busting you but why would you need to use the illumination on the 1-4 or 1-6 in the day time? The entire reticle is designed to not need to be on for day/bright light. I never use my illumination on for day entry work unless we are hitting the target at night. That is what makes it different then the Aimpoint Comp 3 and E-Tec type scopes. I don't even use my BUIS and shooting day time with the 1-4 CQB and shoot house work I find the lack of illumination to be a positive factor.

Sully

Last 3 gun match I was at, It took longer to pick up the reticle on a black target at longer distances.

I owned both. I never used the illumination, not once. In low light conditions, the scope performed well enough to not need it. The glass clarity and brightness are outstanding on those HD's. Unless you are truly going to use it, I'd go with the non-illuminated.

+1 to this and congrats to the op on the purchase!