• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Illustrations of proper shooting positions ?

NativeCraft

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2006
Wilson, NC
Can anyone provide me with a link to anything on-line that shows proper shooting positions (video, photos, or drawings), particularly as it pertains to the AR15 Service Rifle comps.?
My Army Marksmanship book from CMP has not been delivered yet and it's going to be a few days until I can get with my coach again....and I really, really want to do some snapping in and dry firing.

I'm really having trouble with my sitting position, so any specific help with that would be a bonus.

Re: Illustrations of proper shooting positions ?

Thanks for the link - I've got it bookmarked. Though I can't tell for sure, but it looks to me like that first guy is shooting right leg over left in sitting...that ain't right, is it?

I would advise you to wait for the USAMU manual. While the sitting position in the pics looks good, neither the standing nor the prone positions pictured are very good at all. In fact they both have some very fundamental flaws in them. While the international shooters have much more variation in their positions, I wouldn't really say any are a "normal" position other than the girl w/ the pink/multicolor stock in stand and kneel and the guy shooting the Anschutz in prone (both of the prone shots don't show the most important view. That being from directly behind the rifle.) Will try to link pics of better positions later, but have to get to class.

Yes - Steve Smith's sitting position in those pics is great if you want to shoot the dirt about 30 feet in front of you. He was a Sharpshooter at the time those pics were taken. Now he's out of the sport altogether. Jose Rossy started that site when he got run off from Nationalmatch. Take it FWIW.

Use the AMU guide when it arrives for Service Rifle positions. For the real technical explanations of the international positions, nothing beats "The Ways of the Rifle". gunsmithing inc. stocks it; not sure if Champion's Choice does or not, but worth a look to see. It makes a nice compliment to the AMU book if you want to get real technical.

NineHotel-

You want I should forward your comments on Steve?

I don't recall him shooting the dirt in front of himself at the matches around the time those pics were taken.

smile.gif