• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I'm a member of the.....

Sharpsman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2010
Rayville, La.
old school of thinking and I'm training my 7 year old grandson as to how to shoot with iron/aperture sights! Bought him a .22 Chipmunk rifle which is made by the Rogue Rifle Company of Lewiston, Idaho and he's doing quite well with it after about 6 training sessions. It has a quite well built receiver sight with a hooded front globe and I have him at present shooting a post front sight. Have him shooting on a Ram silhouette metal target and at 50 yards he's now getting 95% hits. Over many years I've trained hundreds of shooters in marksmanship dating back to my military days and as I have 7 grandchildren...I have instructed all of them in this same manner....irons first, scope later if desired but I'm a firm believer that all kids need to be trained FIRST shooting irons! Brett is a good listener, receives instruction very good and when we first started I used images of correct sight picture and 'hold' to get him oriented as to how things should look. It's imperative when teaching youngsters marksmanship to get down on their level somewhat as most times normal vocabulary won't transfer meaning to them. I explained to Brett that shooting is somewhat akin to playing a computer game.....and that was all the basic training he needed! He's learning now about correct trigger control and follow through and soon...we'll be getting 100% hits!

Marksmanship Training by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

Last edited:
I agree 100% about learning on irons. I started that way also. Some rifles I still prefer iron sights.

Learning to drive should also be done with a stick shift. Guys who can't drive a stick should have their man card revoked.

I learned on irons and love shooting with irons. I started shooting when I was 3. My dad has this cool training rifle and its a 22 and has a peep sight and I love just setting clay pigeons at 100 and picking them off. Now I do not like shooting my dads 405win sharps lol.

Yep Irons first, I had to retrofit a few rifles with irons just to teach the kids to shoot with different types in progressivly larger calibers, from pellet gun to 30-06, bolt and semi auto.

Irons first, irons second, irons always.

Thats a Chipmunk rifle?!

I'm gonna start the same thing, have a Savage Rascal waiting for when I get home so I can start teaching my boys.