• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I'm a newb...

backroad

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2006
Arkansas
I know I should've searched, but I figured what the hell... I've always been interested in long range shooting, but haven't had the cash flow lately to get a good gun. Now I'm supposed to go varmint hunting with some buddies in a few weeks and I <span style="font-style: italic">need</span> a good gun, but I'm opting for a "most accurate out of the box" kind of deal instead of a custom gun because I don't have much time. I've been looking at the Remington 700 SPS Tactical, and the 700 VTR (Both in .223) What are your thoughts on these two rifles? The VTR is somewhat available, but I'm having a hard time finding an SPS, it seems the distributors are out of them (my dads a dealer. heh). Any of you guys know of a distributor that carrys them? Thanks.

Re: I'm a newb...

Check pawn shops for a used .223 if you're stuck on that caliber. What distances do you plan to shoot? If you plan to shoot much beyond 600yd, then you may want to think about something bigger like a 308.

Almost any used Remington 700 would be good to go. Then down the road, if you want, and have the budget, you can always send it to a gun-plumber to true up the action and hang a new barrel on it in your choice of calibers. If you go with .223, then you may need to open up the bolt face if you rebarrel in a different caliber.

I think you should look into an AR , great varmint rifle and very versatle.

If you are firm on the 223 caliber, then you should check into the Tikka T3 Lite in 223, or 308 for that matter. It doesn't have lots of after market parts to "pimp up" you stick. But it is extremely accurate out of the box. You just need a good glass on top and some good match ammo, or hunting ammo and you are GTG. There are shops that will custom the Tikka for you down the road if you are interested. I have the 223 caliber and am very pleased with its accuracy.

The other caliber that I would think of long before the 308 is the 243 with a faster twist barrel. This would allow you to shoot little bullets clear up to the bigger stuff with way less recoil than the 308 and easier to get shells for than the 223 and 308 at this point in time. Just my .02.
Best of luck, and GOD bless
Mac's

Backroad,
You mentioned varmint hunting, but what kind of hunting? I mean P' dog hunting, 'yote? Fill us in a little more. What distance do you think your gonna be shooting out to? Are you gonna be hiking around alot or stand shooting?

SOTA

+1 on the Tikka. I was a total Remington snob until my Father in Law picked one up. It is one of the slickest actions, out of the box, that I have ever worked. Its is a great rifle. It shoots lights out.

Otherwise, as noted above, hit the pawn shops hard. These are hard times, and there are a lot more guns in the pawn shops than ever before, and there are deals to be had with these pirates who take advantage of peoples hard times, giving them 1/3-1/4 what they are worth, so there is bargaining room.

The best out of the box rifle, quality and accuracy wise I've found are the Cooper firearms rifles. http://www.cooperfirearms.com/ They come with some ridiculously small test targets.Both mine and my friends shot 3/8 inch groups at 100Y in two different chamberings.I had a 204 Ruger that I sited in 1 inch high at 100Y and at 350Y you would still hit the PD when you aimed at the head.They are a bit pricey but well worth it at half the cost of custom.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sota</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Backroad,
You mentioned varmint hunting, but what kind of hunting? I mean P' dog hunting, 'yote? Fill us in a little more. What distance do you think your gonna be shooting out to? Are you gonna be hiking around alot or stand shooting?

SOTA </div></div>

Prairie dogs, from a bench, and from what I've been told, anywhere from 100 to 1000 yards. However, I doubt my abilities to shoot out that far. I'm pretty good out to about 400 with my 7mm, but from there on its gonna be tough I'm afraid.