• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I'm an Idiot, Remington 700 5r SS

0V3RC10CK3D

Private
Minuteman
So I bought a Remington 700 5r SS and a Badger Ordnance 20moa rail.

When I was putting the rail on I must have overtightened it, I rounded out the head of the torx screw and now it's forever stuck.

What should I do? Leave it as it is or get someone to drill it out?

Re: I'm an Idiot, Remington 700 5r SS

Take it to a smith, they will drill it out and re-tap the threads.

If you have no need to remove the rail- I'd just keep it in. If and when you have to remove it- have a GS drill it out/ tap for 8-40 screws.

Drill it out.

For me. I can't stand owning anything that is not fully functional and operate as designed.

I either fix it or f**K it up so bad I throw it away.

That is NOT cool...

I tell you what send it to me and I will repair it for Free
wink.gif

<span style="font-weight: bold">Mike
Tac Ops</span>

Phone 310-275-8797
On Coms from 10:30 am till 11:00 pm PST seven days a week
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black Ops</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That is NOT cool...

wink.gif

Tac Ops</span>

Phone 310-275-8797
wink.gif
</div></div>

Now that's a really generous offer!!! Not many guys in this world offer such help any more.

To get the rig fixed is what I recommend also....you never know what changes you might want to do in the future.

Wayne

From what you say, it should be an easy fix. Just take out all the other screws and drill the head off the stripped one (the stripped torx will serve as a pilot for your bit). Stop and check your progress frequently once you get going by trying to wiggle the base loose. You'll be able to pop it off without damage but don't try and wrestle it - if it doesn't come off easily, just drill the head a little more until it does. Once your very close or through the head, the base will lift off and, once you remove the base, there will be enough of the remaining screw sticking out from the receiver to unscrew it with pliers. It'll only take you a few minutes and you won't need a smith.......
cool.gif

If you just stripped out the drive surface, you may have enough material for a small EZ out to grip and back out the screw.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nebraska</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From what you say, it should be an easy fix. Just take out all the other screws and drill the head off the stripped one (the stripped torx will serve as a pilot for your bit). The base will lift off and, once you remove the base, there will be enough of the remaining screw sticking out from the receiver to unscrew it with pliers. It'll only take you a few minutes and you won't need a smith.......
cool.gif
</div></div>

Ingenious, Smart man! I'll do this technique if I ever have a reason to pull the rail back off. Thank you

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black Ops</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That is NOT cool...

wink.gif

Tac Ops</span>

Phone 310-275-8797
wink.gif
</div></div>

Thank you for the offer! Don't think I can let go of my new toy for more than a few hours at a time though. haha

That is NOT cool...

wink.gif

Tac Ops</span>

Phone 310-275-8797
wink.gif
</div></div>
Very COOL!!

Thats an amazing offer from Mike at Tac Ops!! I would take him up on it because you know it will be fixed correctly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottx88</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black Ops</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That is NOT cool...

wink.gif

Tac Ops</span>

Phone 310-275-8797
wink.gif
</div></div>
Very COOL!! </div></div>

Send it to Mike! He fixed my rifle a few years back for free when it was delivered with a damaged crown. This is when I got it back, nice looking recessed crown.

DSC01273.jpg

He is a great guy who has some amazing skills and will do right by you and the rifle. You wont regret it either.

This doesnt mean every knuckle head needs to be sending Mike tons of Emails and blowing up his phone expecting free work from him.

TJ

That is NOT cool...

wink.gif

Tac Ops</span>

Phone 310-275-8797
wink.gif
</div></div>

Classy gesture. I've never done business with Tac Ops but this makes me want to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC mustang</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black Ops</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That is NOT cool...

wink.gif

Tac Ops</span>

Phone 310-275-8797
wink.gif
</div></div>

Classy gesture. I've never done business with Tac Ops but this makes me want to. </div></div>

I bought a tac ops cheek pad for my rifle last week
smile.gif

You could try the JB weld trick, apply a small amount of JB into the stripped screw slot, insert disposable allen head screw, let it dry and pop it off. A heat gun will release any JB if you want to keep the wrench.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could try the JB weld trick, apply a small amount of JB into the stripped screw slot, insert disposable allen head screw, let it dry and pop it off. A heat gun will release any JB if you want to keep the wrench. </div></div>

2nd this, use the regular, not quik, and leave it set up for 16 hours, make sure the replacement screw is the perfect length

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 0V3RC10CK3D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks JWV and George, if i can find some replacement screws I'll just take care of it and fix it soon.

Any ideas where i can get replacement screws that are higher quality? </div></div>

the allen cap heads that are stocked in hardware stores, or auto parts are usually grade 5 or 8. anything better than grade 3 is fine, trim to the same length if you cannot buy it perfect

That is NOT cool...

wink.gif

Tac Ops</span>

Phone 310-275-8797
wink.gif
</div></div>

Do this ^ and don't worry about your toy for a few days. I'm pretty sure you won't regret it! I'd do it in a heart beat if I was in your shoes!

I would follow what Nebraska had to say. I've found it pretty easy, quick and relatively painless to remove capscrews this way. I've also found that once the head has been drilled off, the remainder can usually be screwed out using your fingers. Also unless you don't mind some down time, make sure to have the replacement screw handy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Engine22</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black Ops</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That is NOT cool...

wink.gif

Tac Ops</span>

Phone 310-275-8797
wink.gif
</div></div>

Do this ^ and don't worry about your toy for a few days. I'm pretty sure you won't regret it! I'd do it in a heart beat if I was in your shoes! </div></div>

shipping both ways is 40$, nothing to lose trying the JB weld

My point is that it isn't often you see a top-tier gunsmith offer services for free out in the open like this.

That is NOT cool...

wink.gif

Tac Ops</span>

Phone 310-275-8797
wink.gif
</div></div>

You are not going to get a better offer than that.

A trick that often works when a screw won't come out.Take a straight screw driver with the proper tip . With one hand hold the screw driver in the screw and twist .With the other hand take a small hammer and tap the back of the screw driver while twisting on the screw. A screw being a modified inclined plane, the tapping momentarily unloads the screw and may allow it to release.

Mike is one of the very best in the business. He is also one of the busiest, so when he makes an offer like that, you really ought to jump at it. I know it will suck giving up your rifle for a while, but you are getting some of the best to make it right, and for free. This is a BIG win. Go for it. And having dealt with Mike before, i cant resist a chance to give props. The guy is top notch, true class act.

-Paulus

Thanks everyone, I got lucky and was able to get the screw out using a flathead screwdriver, just managed to fit it perfectly inbetween the threads to be able to get it out.

Any idea where I can get some replacement screws that might be a bit tougher? I guess it's a size 6 diamenter, not sure on the thread count but probably in the 50's, and 1/4 tall.

I tried home depot, lowes and sears.

Just call or email the maker of the rail, Badger Ord. It'll probably cost next to nothing, or they'll just send you a few. That way you know you have the correct screw.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DerMeister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just call or email the maker of the rail, Badger Ord. It'll probably cost next to nothing, or they'll just send you a few. That way you know you have the correct screw.

</div></div> +1 The stock Remington receiver threads are 6-48. That's not a size that you'll likely find in your local hardware store.