• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Im gonna ask. Should i get an AK?

sable

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2010
Texas
I want an AK really bad, I've shot a few and really liked them. Problem is I keep reading bad things about them. The one I'm going to end up with is a Century built from the local gun shop. With my funds being saved for more precision parts, I've got about 400 to play with. Leaving me with few options besides the standard wood furniture Century stamped AK. Should I get it or will I most likely be dissapointed? Its just for SHTF and range fun

Re: Im gonna ask. Should i get an AK?

Its Century I've heard bad things about. Not the AK.

I would recommend an AK just because they are fun to bang around. However I don't think I would go with a Century, I have heard some not so good things. Look for a polish AK, or a Saiga.

All the polish tantals I've seen are century and the real polish are the same price as a MAK90

I like the look of the WASRs I've held. But they are CAI. That's all I can really afford pretty much

For an extra $200 for a Tax Stamp you could consider an AK SBR.
Just as useful/accurate as any other AK, and much more compact.
This M92 paired with a T-1 Aimpoint gives a good bit of muzzle blast, but has mild recoil allowing very fast follow up shots. Prone, on the rangebag, it's funny how absurdly easy it is to score multiple hits on targets 50-75 yards away.

T1.jpg

I won this M92 on the ar15.com member's raffle. Spent $20 on parts, $200 on a tax stamp, added the PRI/T-1 and refinished the blond wood.

Is there any other AK I can get for around 400 superior to century?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tyler Moore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I want an AK really bad, I've shot a few and really liked them.
Problem is I keep reading bad things about them.
Should i get an AK?</div></div>

Yes.

Can you spend a little more than $400?
What about a sizable amount above $400?

I own one AKM and purchased a bunch of accessories for it over the years.
I spent a little more up front purchasing a pre-ban Norinco... I have no regrets.

T56SHTF-SILE.NY.NY.jpg

I can spend a little more 400

Yes you should buy one if for no other reason that you want one. Maybe shop around though....

Are you that concerned with the caliber? Aim Surplus has the same rifle in 5.45 x 39 and the ammo is cheaper if you're on a budget. And yes, to answer your question I would buy one of those. The days of finding a parts kit and getting a decent receiver or bending your own seem to be over. I would NOT buy a Century.

Go ahead and buy an AK. I have a MAK90. My wife thinks it's a hoot to shoot!!! Also ammo is cheap if you buy in bulk. Throw it in the mud, kick it around then pick it up and shoot it.

Its not really the caliber. I heard the build quality on the century rifles suck. Are the 5.45 ones from Aim any good? Or do they have problems and keyhole?

im probably just gonna order a 7.62 10/63 from Aim. ive shot a MAK90, but i cant afford that till later on (i plan on getting another ak or two or ten later on down the road), ive also shot a 10/63, and ive handled the century romaks. Am i right in assuming the WASrs on Aim are not Century built? i think a 10/63 will be fine for SHTF and range blasting until i get a better quality AK or two later

No offense but seems like your a bit confused. If you plan on buying another AK(s) down the line i suggest you just patiently wait and save a few hundred more for something of better quality.

That being said, if all you really want is a range gun then I see no reason not to get the century. Most the problems notorious for century wasr's have been addressed in the past few years.(sloppy triggers/magwells and canted FSB)

i personally dont own an AK but have some buddies into them. ones got an arsenal converted saiga and a mak, the other a century wasr. Both have thousands of rnds thru them and notice almost no differences between the three other then finishing details.

if you can handle the century before you buy it just research some known problems and look it over. If not there are sone sites that offer "certified" centurys guaranteed to be free of the common problems. look into it.

either way its an ak, they are made to function.

What's a good place to get a MAK90 online? If any?

I had a newer century bought last year and it functioned flawlessly. I put two 1200 round cases of old Yugo ammo through it and never had any problems. A buddy of mine is still running it. I did baby it and clean it inside and out after every range session though.

I held another MAK the other day and I was impressed with the fit and finish. I've decided ill probably splurge on one if I can find a good deal. Does anyone sell them online?

Not sure of any online dealers. The friend I have with the mak actually got his on gunbroker and if I'm not mistaken only paid a little over 500 for it.

If you want an ultra reliable rifle that goes "bang" every time with a bare minimum of maintenance or spare parts needed the AK is very hard to beat.

It's possible to get a decent CAI built AK if you carefully check out the rifle for the defects mentioned. Especially the canted front sight and sloppy mag well fit. I found the Yugo builds to be less of a problem than the WASR's. I only had to go thru 4 @ J&G before I found a decent one. as opposed to 8 or 9 WASE's.

What other problems should I look for? Just canted sights and piss poor mag fit?

Im no expert but i almost bought a CAI wasr myself not long ago (decided to get 1000 rnds of 223 instead) Anyways, during my research it seemed those were the three main issues: trigger/magwell/FS.

From what i read all the centurys after 08 should have the tapco g2 trigger group so check to verify that. If im not mistaken it should be stamped on one side of the trigger blade. See if you can try a few different mags in it, its best if the well is too tight because u can alway alter tthe mags or the magwell if your careful.

Other than those 3 things the only thing ive read is tear it down and give it a good cleaning before you use it. I guess the romanians really caked the cosmoline on these things and after a short while it heats up and works its way around causing some failures.

Take it for what its worth these are things i just read, I have no first hand expierence

Good luck.

well thats more than i have. i cant seem to find good reading anywhere on what the real problems are. everyone is just saying "cai sucks, dont buy them"

I had a WASR-10, it worked well. Reliable, of course, and bore was good. The only bad thing would be the front sight wouldn't adjust quite enough to the right; about an 1.5 inches at 100 yards off.

I do not know about the rest of you, but for some reason the 7.62x39 rounds sucks as far as accuracy past 200 yards (coming from a Hungarian SA85 AK (2.5-4" at 100yrd scoped with a kalinka 10X), since you are more in precision, I would look at the 5.45x39 round, I think it does much better in accuracy.

Im just looking for a fun range gun and a zombie murderer for SHTF. Also, i cant buy 5.45 AK mags anywhere around me, and everyone has cheap 7.62 mags.

Crucial thing about buying AK: You must must must must must inspect it before taking delivery of it. This means that the standard method of buying off gunbroker, or whatever, is to be avoided.

There are a million threads about this on the interweb, but when buying any AK, esp a century, you want to visually inspect the following for cant/crookedness:
Front sight base
gas block
trunnion/rear sight.

Stick in a magazine--they all wobble a bit, but some are really terrible.

Terms of looking for cant/crookedness, make the gun your biatch, flip it around, look at the gun from the barrel end and the stock end (verify it's empty first, obviously). You don't need a measuring stick--your eye will be able to tell. You are making sure that the FSB and gas block are straight up and down, in line with each other and with the rest of the gun. Often times, they're not. Make sure the trunnion looks relatively straight, look down on the gun from the top.

Cycle the action--sometimes the bolt gets hung up to the rear--it's not the end of the world, but it's better if it doesn't.

Again, you can see why it's better to inspect a few of them side to side.

There are no AKs that I've heard of, with the exception of the MAK-90s and Norincos/Polytechs, that are free from potential assembly whack-ness. I've seen whacked out Arsenals, etc. Spending more will not necessarily get you a better gun, unless you're buying one of the Chinese ones--they are definitely the best in terms of build quality, which is odd, but, well that's how it is.

I have several good Century Aks. And I have one I am sending back. I finally figured out it really was better to spend $50 more and buy them in a gunshop, ie be able to inspect them carefully before I purchased them.

The WASRs are known as the cheapies of the AK world, but if you get a decent one, they run just like any other AK, ie indefinitely. Just make sure you look it over carefully--you might have to look at 2 or 3. Or 4. Or the first one might be great.

As for 7.62 accuracy, I've had a half-dozen AKs in total now and they've all been good for between 1.5" and 2" groups at 100 yards (off a sandbag). My experience, contrary to popular belief, is that they're plenty accurate mechanically, it's just the sights are so primitive so they're harder to shoot well.

I got my Yugo M70 from http://classicarms.us/ . Their website is pretty bad, but I haven't heard of anybody who has had a problem with them. The Yugo is $470 there now, the underfolder stock doesn't give you any cheekweld, but it fits in my truck a lot better and feels better put together than the WASR's.

well the big gun shop i go to alot has a MAK90 sitting on the shelf. i looked at it the other day. i didnt however, see the price. im gona call to day and see how much they want. if its a good price, im gonna go look at it again. i may just pick it up if they let it walk out the door for a good price.

are all MAK90s good? this one has wood furniture with the thumbhole stock. or are only the Nornincos good?

WASR 10 has worked good for me as well. Just remember you got mags and ammo to feed this.

Well they want 900 for the MAK so that's out of the running.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Arsenal SLG-21 Saiga $699</div></div>

+1...get it from KVAR, great rifle.

Also...if you have concerns regarding the CAI, contact Henderson Defense...they sell "certified" models where they check the build quality. HDI are great folks....I have one of their afghan models that they don't sell anymore, they did a great job on it.

You should be able to pick up a MAK for about $500 maybe even less. Take the time to beat the bushes and LOOK for them. I have 2 and would not trade eather one for an AR any day of the week.

Agreed on the $500 MAK price--you should be able to buy one off gunbroker and not worry about it. $900 is the price for a (pre-1990-Chinese AK specific-ban) Norinco 56, with a slant flash hider, bayo lug, no goofy ass thumbhole stock. Not that any of those things really matter.

You can replace the thumbhole stocks on MAK-90s, go to Ironwood designs and take your pick.

Basically the MAK-90's, from what I understand, are the post-ban Norincos, pretty sure they all take your standard AK mags, whether chinese, European, etc.

Also, lemme just reiterate that the Century built guns are fine guns, you just have to avoid the bad apples that came through with some regularity. I've owned four of them.

A century is probably gonna be what I end up with. I'm gonna go look at a bunch tomorrow and see if I can find one that dosnt show any of the signs mentioned

Good work.

If that doesn't work out, maybe check the Henderson Defense website as mentioned above. I've never used them but their site seems good and as mentioned above they have a good selection of various AKs that have already been vetted.

The MAK I looked at was milled. I liked how it felt, but for my purposes the WASR should work fine

had a wasr 10 i got for discount and refinished the stocks(theyre usually pretty poor) and actually had to open up the mag well a scotch(.010" or so) so itd easily fit the array of different magazine dimensions available. after these minor tweeks that thing ran easy 2moa at 100 consistently with cheap 154grain softpoint metal case junk. way better accuracy than the mak-90 i had on hand. hell i remember a time that norinco was considered junk and i picked up a few cuz they were cheap. maybe someday people will covet these crap wasr's? ive owned at least 4 different cai imports weapons and all of them ran awesome. a lot of times tho popular opinion dont trend in cinc with practical experience.

I'm new at this, can you guys bear with me and be really specific as to what to look for when I go look? I just afraid of getting one of the bad eggs

I'd honestly just go buy a kit dude and have it custom build. For a stamped AK it actually wont be much more expensive and you wont have to worry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">had a wasr 10 i got for discount and refinished the stocks(theyre usually pretty poor) and actually had to open up the mag well a scotch(.010" or so) so itd easily fit the array of different magazine dimensions available. after these minor tweeks that thing ran easy 2moa at 100 consistently with cheap 154grain softpoint metal case junk. way better accuracy than the mak-90 i had on hand. hell i remember a time that norinco was considered junk and i picked up a few cuz they were cheap. maybe someday people will covet these crap wasr's? ive owned at least 4 different cai imports weapons and all of them ran awesome. a lot of times tho popular opinion dont trend in cinc with practical experience.</div></div>

WHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? i recall seeing you spit 75 rounds in 3.5 seconds flat, pulling another drum out the delta force rucksack and emptying another 75 rounds into a vaginal deuched "hillary" doll at 300 yards with the ole MAK 90

You didn't say the MAK was Milled. That's a whole different price range.

Yeah its milled. So 890 is good?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tyler Moore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm new at this, can you guys bear with me and be really specific as to what to look for when I go look? I just afraid of getting one of the bad eggs </div></div>

I would stop worrying about what to find wrong with guns out there, and order an SGL-21 Saiga from KVAR. You'll be happy....and the customer service will be there for ya.

Most Milled run from $700 on the low side Up. I looked at a Poly Tec National Match today Was a Slick Milled Rifle Little longer than a Normal AK was Priced $1795.00.

By the Way Tyler What state are you in?