• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I'm looking for a new stock

awe2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2010
pleasantshade,tn
I'm sure this has been beaten beyond death, but I have used the seach and did not find what I wanted.I have a Savage 10 FLCP, and am looking for a stock that is bedded,adjustable cheek piece,and butt pad.So far I like the Choate.This is a short action 308. Any info would be great, or a certain thread to read.Thanks,Alan

Re: I'm looking for a new stock

You need to list a price range because there are plenty of stocks that will fit the bill but the key is finding something that fits your budget.

Good Luck,
Merritt

I have a choate now. Save the money and get the manners. My next purchase is a T4 adjustable with CDI bottom metal.

NO Choate, bare minimum Bell & Carlson A2 style. Check the specials on McMillan they have several Savage stocks ready to ship and some are priced right.

"buy cheap, buy twice," that's been my experience. Sounds like you need a McMillan or a Manners. You will not be disappointed with these two makers. Can't say that for their competitor's clones!

Choate's are shit.

Click the link in my sig and be done. My Savage is at Manner's being put in a T3 now, I also have a T5a, T2a, and about to order a T4a. There's not one negative thing I can find in a Manners' stock.

i had a choate on my savage and it shot pretty well, just dang heavy and not particularly attractive. about to drop some coin on a xlr chassis now

I'm thinking that BP and GM remain deals right now.... Oh: A stock.... nevermind.
laugh.gif

Thanks for the info. I 've been doing some looking,and can't justify spending spending over 500 on a stock.My rifle shoots better than I can,I would just like to have the vertical grip mainly.I'm leaning towards the Bell&Carlson Medalist. I can get an adjustable cheek sadle to go with it.Anyone have complaints about Bell&Carlson stocks?Is the weight the main problem with the Choates, or are they just crap?Or is this like a Chevy or Ford type deal?I have never used anything other than factory stocks.All replies are appreciated. Thanks,Alan

I have used a B&C A5. Great for it's price point. The choate was too heavy and the heavy stippling would eat your hand up. Prone they are fine but any unsupported positions the Choate just wasn't comfortable. The Choat is also plastic.

Not crazy about laminates.Still doin some reading and looking for opinions.The options for Savage are pretty scarce.

How are the options for Savages limited... HS Precision, McMillan, Manners, Bell and Carlson, Stockade, Sharpshooters Supply.. that's just big names that I can think of off the top of my head... then there are XLR and McCrees Chassis systems... options are not limited.

The Choates are heavy and ugly. However they are stable and have aluminum bedding blocks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: awe2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Savage 10 FLCP, and am looking for a stock that is bedded,adjustable cheek piece,and butt pad</div></div>

XLR meets all of these requirements.

Not to steal the man's thread, but I want a new stock too.

I have a Remington 700 sps varmint in .243 win with the original tupperware stock.

My original intent was to try to improve it with bedding, stiffening, and adding lead to the buttstock, but after reading on here it seems it would be a waste of time and money.

So, I've got $250 to spend total - shipping and all.

Suggestions on the best for my budget? And where can I buy said suggestion?

Thanks

I really like the Manners stocks. I have no quarrels with McMillan but I have big hands and the thumbhole/pistol-style grip of the Manners is really nice.

Well I bit the bullet and ordred a McMillan A-5. It sucks the wait is 3-4 months.I had settled on a B&C medalist tactical/varmit,but they don't make it left handed with DBM.I got black and light tan marble with adj cheek,& butt butt pad.I hope I love it!!!April or May will be a longtime comeing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rookie7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to steal the man's thread, but I want a new stock too.

I have a Remington 700 sps varmint in .243 win with the original tupperware stock.

My original intent was to try to improve it with bedding, stiffening, and adding lead to the buttstock, but after reading on here it seems it would be a waste of time and money.

Thanks </div></div>Keep an eye on the for sale section here. An HS Precision take-off from a 5R or 700p would be perfect for your budget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rookie7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to steal the man's thread, but I want a new stock too.

Thanks </div></div>

Save another $300 and look at a McMillan, Manners or HS Precision.

I have 2 HS Precision stocks on my 2 Rem 700 rifles (though one is about to be pulled off to go on a custom GAP). One is a small sporter stock for my 17 Remington, the other is the PST 083 Tactical Thumbhole with adjustable LOP and comb.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmarc69</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rookie7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to steal the man's thread, but I want a new stock too.

Thanks </div></div>Keep an eye on the for sale section here. An HS Precision take-off from a 5R or 700p would be perfect for your budget. </div></div>There is one in the "options and accessories" for sale for $190 right now!