• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

im new but have a savage .17 hmr

Phoenix_86

Private
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2009
KOKOMO, IN
hey everyone, i am new to the forum and have been into the sniper thing for a while. i do not have a big gun yet but i do have a savage .17 hmr. its stainless with a heavy barrel and textured charcoal stock, harris full highthed ajustable bipod and a bsa sweet 17 scope that is 4-12-40 sitting on millet rings. i am wanting to get a savage model 10 tactical soon. i want any apinions on my current gun and bigger ones if possible, thanks alot

Re: im new but have a savage .17 hmr

Great gun. Go shoot, shoot and shoot some more.

Try the 21 Dot Drill from Impact Data Books or the Practical Tactical Target here on the hide. Start at 50 yards and move back. You'll be a better shooter in no time.

smile.gif

" I'm new to the forum and have been into the sniper thing for a while"

WTF is the "sniper thing" you're talking about??

the "sniper thing" i mention is the history of the sniper and how people have always thought that the sniper would never make it through a the advances of technology like thermal imaging and IR imaging, but they have and they r still one of the #1 resources the militaries have to this day. and how absoltley amazing military snipers are, i watched the top sniper challange on the military channel a while back and it was amazing how well they shoot and stock, the US ARMY MARKSMANSHIP UNIT were the overall winners. im only 23 and new to the forum and was just looking for advice and tips, but thanks!!!

Well that helps.You have to understand that posting something as vague as the first post makes you sound like some 14 yr old airsoft fan that wants to be a sniper.This happens here all the time and people grow weary of it...that and the fact that most of what newbs ask about can be found x1000 by using the "search" function, or just reading.I'll try to help....
Your rimfire sounds like a good start, my suggestion is to buy tons of ammo and practice, also the online training offered here will help you more than you can imagine.As far as the next gun, try to narrow it done by the uses, what range it will be used at, and your budget,that last thing is ALL important.Basically you can't go wrong with a 308 bolt gun,the best glass you can afford,and again more practice.Savage is a good choice, so is Remington.That and read everything you can...books,various sites,maybe attend a match or 2, be humble and ask for help.
Good luck!

i want a gun that shoot out to 700 yds. i was thinking of getting a savage model 10 in .308. i wanted to get a nightforce scope for it with something like a 6-24-40,50 optic. a harris bipod and a mcmillan stock. that is my goal, no price is to high if you want an outstanding firearm, i work hard for what i have and that will be alot of money but over time i will hopefulll yhave a great shooting gun. im not trying to b a di** but the only way to learn is threw questions, research and an awesome forum like this, but im new and dont have all the answers and like to ask questions. thanks for your input though

Shoot the one you've got for now. Get to where you can call every shot. To do that I would start with some accuracy rifle shooting books by D. Tubb "<span style="text-decoration: underline">High Power Rifle</span>"or one of my first Glen Newcomb (sp?). There are more out there, just those two are the first and only to come to my mind. There is also a lot of good information in FM23-10. Before good shooting comes along you have to learn how not to be seen. FM5-22.

Anyhow, as far as rifles go the Savage model 10 is an excellent choice for starting out. It's an excellent choice even if that's all you get. Mine, and many I've tried come out of the box shooting .5 MOA or better. You may be stuck using match ammo for a while but I would get into reloading if you can. Along that line find someone who does it and learn what they are doing in a "hands on" environment as opposed to reading a book and trying it yourself without seeing first hand what goes on during the process.

Good luck with this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phoenix_86</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i want a gun that shoot out to 700 yds. i was thinking of getting a savage model 10 in .308. i wanted to get a nightforce scope for it with something like a 6-24-40,50 optic. a harris bipod and a mcmillan stock. that is my goal, no price is to high if you want an outstanding firearm, i work hard for what i have and that will be alot of money but over time i will hopefulll yhave a great shooting gun. im not trying to b a di** but the only way to learn is threw questions, research and an awesome forum like this, but im new and dont have all the answers and like to ask questions. thanks for your input though </div></div>

It was the questions, but the "sniper thing" comment as if you are somehow glorifying killing people. The word "sniper" has taken on a bad connotation due to some cracked nuts like the Beltway sniper.

why would anyone glorify killing someone? snipers are so goood at what they do and not because of raw talent but because they are well taught and practice repeatedly, which leads to consistancy, they shoot some of the best guns out there. they r some the best shooters there are in the world. what i am saying is snipers are stealthy and consistant and patient, and skilled, no matter what the target or whatever. i do not glorify a sniper because they take a life from someone but how good they are at what they do and i do not imply killing someone by that, sorry if anyone takees this the wrong way

The .17 hmr is a fine round. I've had mine out to 300 yards, which is my range's max distance. I had a Winchester semi .308, but that would make a 300 yard bull's eye it's bitch any time. I find the .17 hmr to be a great balance between power, challenge, and ammo cost.

i would think the proper terminology would be "precision marksman" using a "precision rifle"

a sniper, which is traditionally a person professionally trained to observe, report findings, or to engage and eliminate specific targets of oppurtunity to gain a tactical advantage uses a sniper rifle.

snipe- –noun 1. any of several long-billed game birds of the genera Gallinago (Capella) and Limnocryptes, inhabiting marshy areas, as G. gallinago (common snipe), of Eurasia and North America, having barred and striped white, brown, and black plumage.
2. any of several other long-billed birds, as some sandpipers.

sniper -(originally) a person that hunts for and is successful in harvesting the elusive above game bird. usually had to be concealed (by the use of special areas - enter the "hide"- or special clothing - enter the "gillie"- during the shot as snipe have excellent eyesight.

common in scotland, a ghillie was a hired person ( a proffesional hunter / guide that used unconventional tactics for success) used to catch poacher's on the royal's land. they used special clothing to be concealed or hide themselves from view, as the poachers had to be weary of the royalty's normal gaurdsmen.