• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing I'm new to barrels and just got a borescope!

JWG

Private
Minuteman
May 6, 2017
I can feel the cringe the title illicited, but it's also true. The beauty is, that I know I am ignorant, I know I do not know what I am looking at, and I'm curious and willing to learn. This is the first barrel I've borescoped, and am curious how it looks to someone who would know. My perception of what I'm seeing is captured in said video, right or wrong.
I'm happy to be educated.

looks pretty nice.
Chamber appears to be slightly offset from the bore but my first Shilen was like that and it was an amazing barrel.
Offset in what way? It is a 5.56 chamber.

Offset in what way? It is a 5.56 chamber.

look at where the lands start
Maybe it’s the way you move the camera but some appear longer than others.
that means the reamer was not perfectly square and/or concentric to the bore.

It’s not rare on cheaper barrels and factory barrels.
If your spending $700-800 on a barrel from a highly skilled and detail oriented smith then I’d be kinda miffed about it.

It’s definitely not a guarantee the barrel will not shoot well.

It takes time and expense to fixture up a barrel to less than a tenth of of the width of a human hair.
Time=$$$$$$

Shoot it.
That’s the real gauge of a barrel.

The other thing you'll see in hammer and button barrels is the lines the run perpendicular to the bore axis. On a cut (or buttoned for that matter) barrel that has been lapped, you'll just see smooth lap marks that run in the same axis of the bore.

Unless there's a giant goof in the rifling somewhere, I mostly don't even worry about the length of the barrel. Most of what I'm looking at is from the neck forward about 6-8" to monitor fire cracking, throat wear, etc...

On a new barrel, the same probably applies, look for jagged/uneven machining in the throat, rings in the chamber, and in the case of AR's, gas port location (looking for burs mostly).

Looks like a good factory AR-15 barrel.

ETA: I'll echo Steel Head insomuch as I wouldn't get caught up with anything you see unless the barrel doesn't shoot (or it's just outright fugly). Proof is in the pudding. I've scoped a factory rifle that had shallow rifling running all the way back to the neck on one side of the free bore and it still (somehow) hammered.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steel head
I see it now. Does this mean the chamber is not concentric, or will this affect barrel life or bullet stability through a suppressor? The barrel is hammer forged, cut chamber.

Attachments

• 200125_172039.jpg
    200125_172039.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 101
Will not affect barrel life, stability, nor exit through a suppressor. Only has the potential to degrade accuracy. It's not the worst thing I've ever seen. 100% would test fire it first because it might not matter at all.

I see it now. Does this mean the chamber is not concentric, or will this affect barrel life or bullet stability through a suppressor? The barrel is hammer forged, cut chamber.

Odds are if you never saw it you’d be a happier person.
Millions of barrels look like that yet last and shoot well.

Bore scopes are a great example of ignorance is bliss!

Also remember the lens on your borescope is likely a wide angle bouncing off a not-perfectly-flat mirror. You can check it by laying the scope on the length of a ruler's scale and see if the measurement subtension hash marks look perpendicular. Easy for optical illusions to be introduced to the image.

Find a factory Remington, Savage, or Ruger barrel and compare it to your barrel. You'll feel better.

Reactions: 1moaoff and OG10
Also remember the lens on your borescope is likely a wide angle bouncing off a not-perfectly-flat mirror. You can check it by laying the scope on the length of a ruler's scale and see if the measurement subtension hash marks look perpendicular. Easy for optical illusions to be introduced to the image.

Find a factory Remington, Savage, or Ruger barrel and compare it to your barrel. You'll feel better.
Understood, but not all lands showed length difference. Image is true to reality as best I can tell.

My first piece of advice to a new bore scope owner is sell your bore scope. Shoot it and enjoy the barrel. Don't get overly concerned with seeing everything going on.

My first piece of advice to a new bore scope owner is sell your bore scope. Shoot it and enjoy the barrel. Don't get overly concerned with seeing everything going on.

They are a nice tool if used correctly for issues like dealing with a carbon ring. I looked at my other barrels out of curiosity buy wouldn't sweat what it looks like if it shoots well.

Reactions: ugsly308
Well, I just scoped a BCM BFH (circa 2012?). Beautiful barrel. Also the leade was cut WAY off center. Much moreso. I have shot this barrel suppressed/unsuppressed, and it's fine. Doing a much less worry now.

Question...how "clean" should one expect the leade to be? Is this looking good, or rough?

Attachments

• 200125_172136.jpg
    200125_172136.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 56
be more fun to repeat that video after you fire a few thousand rounds a before and after type of deal .

be more fun to repeat that video after you fire a few thousand rounds a before and after type of deal .
This is a similar barrel, except 14.5 middy, after about 1K rounds.

Attachments

• 200109_085449.jpg
    200109_085449.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 200109_085515.jpg
    200109_085515.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 87
  • 200131_101435.jpg
    200131_101435.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 113
looks pretty nice.
Chamber appears to be slightly offset from the bore but my first Shilen was like that and it was an amazing barrel.
What did you see that made you think the chamber was offset? Looked pretty normal to me, but I'm an idiot, so there's that.

What an I looking for?

OP the barrel looks great, very smooth and well finished from what I can see