• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Im no expert, so Im looking for some expert advise. yea, it's the 6 Creed again.

JGorski

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2011
Central Wis.
Had a nice calm day at the range today, so of course I had to shoot at 300yds. Decided to reworkup some loads for the 6 Creed since the new lot number of Hornady HPBTs(box of 500) has a slightly longer bearing surface than the previous lot Ive loaded. At any rate, loaded up 41.6, 41.7 & 41.9grs H4350, seated bullets about .010" off the lands, and off I go. Now the quandary Im in is since all these groups produced 4 shot under 1/4moa and the dreaded flyer, hey, it wasn't me, haha. But the 41.6grs has the best SD of 8, followed by the 41.7 at 11 and 41.9grs at 12 & 14(shot 2 groups, one @100, one @300), fwiw, the wind did kick up somewhat when I was on my 4th shot with 41.6grs and could explain the lower right flyer, and was dead calm for the 41.9grain test. Also note the low & high for the 41.7 & 41.9grs, exactly the same, avg was off by 4fps and SD by 1. My thinking is load more of the 41.6grs because of the lower SD. Gimme your thoughts, please, thanks, Guys!
JsC3a0O.jpg

ys0kZvT.jpg

DYEBEV8.jpg

Last edited:
Why are you so hell bent on perfecting this load?! I think you are nit picking it way to much. Run with what you know works and leave it alone!
You will spend more time loading for it and testing them out then shooting it for enjoyment.

Why are you so hell bent on perfecting this load?! I think you are nit picking it way to much. Run with what you know works and leave it alone!
You will spend more time loading for it and testing them out then shooting it for enjoyment.

Im a virgo, LOL!! Just wanna be sure Im shooting the best load possible. Getting back to the question at hand, should a load with the lowest SD shoot the best, or not?

Relatively speaking a load with the lowest deviance in speed should be the most stable. But that relies on a lot of factors. Again.... stop chasing it and settle on a load that maintains good groups at 100 and 300 yards.
I always proof my loads at 500 yards.

Ill have to wait til Aug 4th to proof one of these loads at 600, that range is only for competition day and sometimes the day before. Appreciate the advise.

J, those are all great loads! I think I would go for the 41.9, unless it's loosing your primer pockets.

Last edited:
Pick a load, and start focusing on minimizing errors from other sources.

Good advise guys! Even though I've had a few sub 1" groups at 300yds with 41.9grs I loaded up 20 of 41.6grs because of the low SD and decent 4 shot group it displayed, can always go back to 41.9grs. or 41.7 which had the same low & high. Ill also concentrate on how Im holding the rifle, as of late its been a light hold, just barely touching my shoulder, light touch on the grip. Rifle weighs 15.6lbs. so I dont think I need to manhandle the beast.

Last edited:
Spend more time shooting in the field. Practice. That will do more for you than little bench groups of .5 vs .75" at 300 yards. You'll never shoot as good as the rifle is capable of in the field anyway.

j.

Personally, I'd stick with the lowest load that gives you satisfactory velocity and group. For me, the 41.6 gr. group holds that title. But, only if it's working. If you aren't up enough on the pressure curve and bullets are going out slow then you're going to have to deal with bigger wind calls.

And, like everyone else, you've got a load that works, so now you need to stretch out and test it as far as it will go. You mention the 41.6 had the best SD? That will relate to better (less) vertical dispersion the farther you go out. Velocity, like BC, means squat at short ranges. When it does come into effect, (past 300) it's a big factor. Leave the bench mentality at the bench from this point on. You've done the load work-up. Now, when you stretch it out, you aren't looking for groups, you are looking for single hits where you call them. Start basic and work to more difficult positions. Nothing like jumping ahead of yourself then wondering why you can't hit.

Keep in mind, accuracy is often about consistency. Therefore, the longer you can stay consistent, the more accurate you are going to be overall. Dropping down a nodule in velocity but keeping accuracy, saves on barrel life. It doesn't take a whole lot of a drop to keep from burning out a barrel prematurely. The longer you shoot a good barrel the more you're going to build confidence and really start to see the little nuances that disrupt accurate shooting. When it comes time to rebarrel that rifle, you'll have a huge headstart on the shooting game.

Thanks for the advise! The only place I shoot is at the range, never go out in the field per say, so all my shooting is from the bench, some day I might get down to Lodi and shoot 1K, but with all the OT at work, Id have to do that when on vacation like I am right now. Im going with the 41.6grs. hopefully it'll be as consistent or better than 41.9grs, which had an incredible vertical last week Sunday at 600yds. even with the slightly high flyer it was no more than 1.5". I DO have to work on be a little more patient and make sure the heel of the rifle is set into my rear bag, that Im not pulling down on the grip, etc etc. Like you said, basics.