• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I'm on top of the world!

Walter Haas

San Francisco MAGA fan
Banned !
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2019
San Francisco, CA
Guys, today I shot beyond 100 yards for the first time and I'm so stoked because I hit a steel target at 1000 yards. Yes, it did take about 90 rounds before I hit it but it was amazing! Just f**king with you, in reality I hit:
  • every round at 600 yards
  • all rounds at 800 yards except the first two
  • the fifth round at 1000 yards. It was kinda gusty with average wind of maybe 7mph.
Guys, this performance is nothing to a real shooter but it was so encouraging to me. Thank you for all your inputs, both technical and inspirational! Today I'm on top of the world!

congrats , I can only imagine how it great it feels . So now you can bounce from 100 -1000 yards what's next ?

Reactions: oneshot86
Guys, today I shot beyond 100 yards for the first time and I'm so stoked because I hit a steel target at 1000 yards. Yes, it did take about 90 rounds before I hit it but it was amazing! Just f**king with you, in reality I hit:
  • the fifth round at 1000 yards. It was kinda gusty with average wind of maybe 7mph.
Guys, this performance is nothing to a real shooter but it was so encouraging to me. Thank you for all your inputs, both technical and inspirational! Today I'm on top of the world!
Atta Fargin' Boy !............. (y) ;):ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Walter Haas
Focus on hitting the first 3 no matter what.

You're not getting 10 shots at the same thing, ever.

Focus on anything that needs to happen to hit the first three, then change targets. Doesn't matter if its closer/further; rinse/repeat. Then refine the process to make the first 3 hit, faster.

You'll also pick up errors when you have 3 shots instead of just pounding rounds downrange until you're on the target and then feel good because you hit 6 in a row; it stopped mattering way before those 6.

eta - This also makes your shooting more about doing work rather than just throwing rounds down range and can make for great training without the cost of a lot of ammo. I also hear there's a fantastic training course if you're ever in Utah; some crazy guy makes you dig ditches and fighting positions while sitting in a lawn chair and umbrella, berating you the entire way and then throws in react to contact drills which you will usually fail at miserably and usually ends up with you digging more holes.

Last edited:
Good Job Man. Its a totally different high.
What caliber? Rifle specs? Factory or your loads?

You better frikkin hold on to your wallet now.

exactly...

dont change anything, you have now shown your current gear can hit at distance

no need to change caliber, scope, stock, bipod

just go practice for a long while before you start buying.

we should have the mods track members, from their first post of long range hits to their first question what $1500 scope to buy.

good job shooting!

i still remember my first hit at 1K

It's a great feeling!! Congrats.

That's awesome! I don't get to shoot past 300 yards very often, maybe 5 or 6 times a year usually in local matches, but when I do get to it's a treat. It makes it worth the time and money I've put into this sport. Enjoy it and keep shooting!

Congrats!
I can still remember the day I shot 1000 yards

4FAC399C-A279-4AA4-9CD1-80A184AE7AD4.jpeg

I still shoot that rifle but it looks completely different and has seen multiple barrels since then.

Now 1000 is kinda Meh for me and I’m wanting 2500-3000 and shoot 1000-1900 weekly.

I also hear there's a fantastic training course if you're ever in Utah; some crazy guy makes you dig ditches and fighting positions while sitting in a lawn chair and umbrella, berating you the entire way and then throws in react to contact drills which you will usually fail at miserably and usually ends up with you digging more holes.

That night COF has changed since our last group meeting! LOL

Good Job Man. Its a totally different high.
What caliber? Rifle specs? Factory or your loads?
I was using my Steyr SSG 08 A1 in .308 with a Vortex Razor HD gen 2 scope. Firing Hornady Match ELD 168 gr. My instructor, a Marine, had a way of calculating muzzle velocity without using a chronograph. I used Hornady's app which has my ammo in its library. Wind about 5mph and firing uphill to target at 17 degrees laying the app on the barrel.

That's awesome! I don't get to shoot past 300 yards very often, maybe 5 or 6 times a year usually in local matches, but when I do get to it's a treat. It makes it worth the time and money I've put into this sport. Enjoy it and keep shooting!
Its interesting how the "zone" I get into dry firing at home is not easy to duplicate at a real range. Everything feels different somehow at the range in my "program" leading up to the trigger break. Even when I couldn't sense what was wrong I just "knew" the shot wasn't going to be right. Even zeroing I couldn't pull my MOA under about 1MOA, when .73 is my best group MOA so far at a 100 yards. So I'm stoked about the 1000 yard result but at the same time I felt like I was "underperforming". I've got to figure out why my program goes to s**t outside.

Its interesting how the "zone" I get into dry firing at home is not easy to duplicate at a real range. Everything feels different somehow at the range in my "program" leading up to the trigger break. Even when I couldn't sense what was wrong I just "knew" the shot wasn't going to be right. Even zeroing I couldn't pull my MOA under about 1MOA, when .73 is my best group MOA so far at a 100 yards. So I'm stoked about the 1000 yard result but at the same time I felt like I was "underperforming". I've got to figure out why my program goes to s**t outside.
More time on the rifle makes for more relaxed shooting which makes for better results as long as you don’t skimp on fundamentals.

I was a legit 1 moaish shooter when I first started the LR game.
By the end of that first barrels life I was fairly consistently shooting groups that you couldn’t get your pinky into and my LR game improved along with it.

Congrats

exactly...

dont change anything, you have now shown your current gear can hit at distance

no need to change caliber, scope, stock, bipod

just go practice for a long while before you start buying.

we should have the mods track members, from their first post of long range hits to their first question what $1500 scope to buy.

good job shooting!

i still remember my first hit at 1K
LOL, I get your point. My friend said to me "the only reason you're shooting is so you can spend a lot of money". That friend knows me too well. I'm already pushing $15K into this two month old new pursuit with all the accessories. But, seriously, hitting from a 1000 yards once clearly justifies the upgrade from Vortex to Hensoldt, right? Just joking. But you're right, I can easily spending between $30K and $40K total, I mean that's just a multi caliber AI setup and a couple German scopes, right? And that's just the bolt action world. What about the AR world? Then we start from the beginning, perhaps a Nemo for the discriminating gentleman. :)

BS. We all know that 308 hits a wall at 800 and falls out of the sky
Not sure if you're joking but that's out of a 24 inch barrel so the muzzle velocity is higher. You've got me thinking though, because 600 and 800 yards was just turning turrets and shooting but 1000 yards seemed out of control, like you needed both skill and luck together to hit it. I'll ask my instructor if he thinks we were subsonic at 1000 yards.

Reactions: Deadeyeky81
Focus on hitting the first 3 no matter what.

You're not getting 10 shots at the same thing, ever.

Focus on anything that needs to happen to hit the first three, then change targets. Doesn't matter if its closer/further; rinse/repeat. Then refine the process to make the first 3 hit, faster.

You'll also pick up errors when you have 3 shots instead of just pounding rounds downrange until you're on the target and then feel good because you hit 6 in a row; it stopped mattering way before those 6.

eta - This also makes your shooting more about doing work rather than just throwing rounds down range and can make for great training without the cost of a lot of ammo. I also hear there's a fantastic training course if you're ever in Utah; some crazy guy makes you dig ditches and fighting positions while sitting in a lawn chair and umbrella, berating you the entire way and then throws in react to contact drills which you will usually fail at miserably and usually ends up with you digging more holes.
That's good advice, that's going to be my next goal for the 1000 yard range. I need to learn the ballistics app better, I knew most of it but there was some stuff my instructor was doing I didn't understand and noted that for learning later. Such as "axial form factor". As a devoted cynic and former engineer my first thought when I saw that was "when the algorithm isn't worth s**t you put in a bulls**t variable to override your f**kups and then you can blame it on the end user of the app." I hope that's not too cynical for the bear pit. :)

Reactions: Deadeyeky81
That's good advice, that's going to be my next goal for the 1000 yard range. I need to learn the ballistics app better, I knew most of it but there was some stuff my instructor was doing I didn't understand and noted that for learning later. Such as "axial form factor". As a devoted cynic and former engineer my first thought when I saw that was "when the algorithm isn't worth s**t you put in a bulls**t variable to override your f**kups and then you can blame it on the end user of the app." I hope that's not too cynical for the bear pit. :)
Uh, no - that fits right in, actually.

Not sure if you're joking but that's out of a 24 inch barrel so the muzzle velocity is higher. You've got me thinking though, because 600 and 800 yards was just turning turrets and shooting but 1000 yards seemed out of control, like you needed both skill and luck together to hit it. I'll ask my instructor if he thinks we were subsonic at 1000 yards.
I was kidding. Definitely sarcasm font

More time on the rifle makes for more relaxed shooting which makes for better results as long as you don’t skimp on fundamentals.

I was a legit 1 moaish shooter when I first started the LR game.
By the end of that first barrels life I was fairly consistently shooting groups that you couldn’t get your pinky into and my LR game improved along with it.
How much dry firing were you doing to pull your groups in so tight? My instructor says it should be 10:1 at a minimum, 10 dry fires to one live round at the range.

Congratulations and keep on pushing yourself. LR shooting is addicting and rewarding. You will have amazing range days and frustrating range days. What will keep you going is the knowledge and experience you gain from the time spent behind the rifle, spinning turret, reading wind and analyzing each shoot you take.