• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors I'm scratching my head on this

GB213

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2009
Maryland
I has a 300 blackout with a 10" noveske barrel. I'm trying to get an accurate subsonic load. The load I'm working with is 220 sierra round nose prohunter with 11.5grs 1680. At 25yds it will put 5 shots in the size of a quarter. I then put my 762 SD on and it is 10 plus inches to the right and all over the place. No baffle stikes. Can is on tight and no movement. Tried it a few times with same result.
Any ideas what could be going on?

Re: I'm scratching my head on this

Probably minor baffle strikes that you don't notice. With the rifle unloaded, the upper removed, the the bolt carrier removed, look down the bore with the can on, and see if it looks centered with the bore.

Could be apples to oranges here but I have a 10" T/C Whisper that has almost no change in group size with / without the suppressor mounted.

Can is an AAC Cyclone, not particularly lightweight.

+1 on Baffle Strike.

Have you shot the same suppressor on any other rifles with better results? I would suspect the mount, possible the barrel threads or shoulder.

Noveske has a warning on their site about what type suppressor baffles work best with their barrels. I think they warn of a high probability of baffle strikes with anything but suppressors with "K" style baffles. Not saying I know the difference but they recommend one particular AAC and the Surefire 762K.
I really think your suppressor is destabilizing the air around the bullet and causing the accuracy drop off. But, as I said, I am mostly suppressor stupid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...warn of a high probability of baffle strikes with anything but suppressors with "K" style baffles. ...</div></div>

It's the other way round. They recommend symmetrical baffle designs. Not K baffles.

"K type baffles, may cause baffle strikes and/or point of impact shift, and may damage your suppressor."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dead-bird</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...warn of a high probability of baffle strikes with anything but suppressors with "K" style baffles. ...</div></div>

It's the other way round. They recommend symmetrical baffle designs. Not K baffles.

"K type baffles, may cause baffle strikes and/or point of impact shift, and may damage your suppressor."
</div></div>

I went shooting with a guy with a K baffle can and a Noveske barrel and no accuracy or baffle strikes.

I shoot a non-symettrical suppressor on my 300 with a very tight bore and not a single issue to date.

I would love to know why John says that as tons of people use non-symmetrical cans with zero issues.

I read in Al Paulson's Silencers; History and Performance that using a non-symmetrical blast baffle could lead to accuracy problems. From what little I have seen of images of bullets and gas moving through silencers, the gases flow past the bullet until the bullet reaches the first baffle, then the gases slow enough to lag behind the bullet as it makes its way through the rest of the can.

I have used K baffles behind cone blast baffles with no problem on my 223 and 338 ultra mag cans.

Ranb

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ranb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I read in Al Paulson's Silencers; History and Performance that using a non-symmetrical blast baffle could lead to accuracy problems. From what little I have seen of images of bullets and gas moving through silencers, the gases flow past the bullet until the bullet reaches the first baffle, then the gases slow enough to lag behind the bullet as it makes its way through the rest of the can.

I have used K baffles behind cone blast baffles with no problem on my 223 and 338 ultra mag cans.

Ranb </div></div>

The bullet is never faster than the gases, nor does it leave the silencer with all the gases trailing behind. The bullet travels the full length of the silencer surrounded by gases.