• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I'm so green I can't deprime..(pics included)

Elxx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2008
Tucson AZ
All I have to say is wtf. What did I do wrong?

It's either my die isn't in far enough or my brass is super stretched out. I suggested the second because I can't close my bolt with the empty shells. With the 2 shells I de-primed/half neck-sized, I can close the bolt but it's still difficult. (So I'm assuming this is weak brass and needs to be neck sized). Before anyone asks...this brass was factory Fiocchi 150g 308s. The shells have never been reloaded and they were fired in my rifle.

Sorry about the pics being so big/fuzzy. Camera phones are terrible.

You can see in the 3rd picture where I tried to highlight the issue I was having with the neck.

deprimed1.jpg

deprimed2.jpg

deprimed3.jpg

Re: I'm so green I can't deprime..(pics included)

Is the bottom of the die touching the shell plate? It looks like you need to screw the die down further and then back out the depriming rod. I would reccomend taking out the depriming rod then setting your die to get the sizing you want, then install your depriming rod to the proper placment.

+1. Your die set should have come with setup instructions if purchased new.

My guess is along the lines of what Austan is suggesting, provided you are using a full length sizing die, and not a neck sizing die.. It looks like you are only partially sizing the necks, and if using a full length sizing die, you're not bumping the shoulder back at all. This could explain the difficulty chambering. Remove your decapping pin, thoroughly lube a case, screw the sizing die in till it touches the shellholder, and size the case. Wipe the lube off of the case and see if the shell will chamber. If not, relube and turn the sizing die in 1/4 -1/2 turn, and repeat the process. These instructions should be either with your die set or reloader. Hope this helps. If you're still having problems, enlist the help of an experienced reloader, and they should be able to get your die adjusted properly in a couple of minutes.

I would also buy a Wilson 308 Case gauge or other manufactures. What you do is complete a full sizing of your brass and put the case into your gauge. If it fits you can start the process. At this point I also put them into my 308 that I am loading the round for to make sure it fits. Then, back the die up by a full turn and do another case and check it again. It probably won't fit so then start turning the die down by 1/4 turns until you get a case that fits your gauge and chamber. Then lock the die down because you are there. I just started reloading again after many years and I had issues like what you are talking about when I started. A wise person told me to get a case gauge and it was the best thing I ever got. It also lets you know when your necks are not deburred correctly because they will not fit in the gauge.

have fun with it...

The sizing ring on your case necks show that the FL die is about a full turn to high. Nothing wrong with the cases, you just ain't got it done yet. When you do, the primers will go out and the cases will chamber.

Now, as a newb warning, lube those cases well around the lower third of their length or you get to buy a stuck case puller.

when i first started i read the die instructions and set it up that way. none of my shells fit my chamber. the directions said to run up the ram, screw down the die. away i went. i asked a few guys what i was doing wrong. they asked about the cam or bump over at the bottom of the stroke. its hard to explain, you dont want too much of it, but you need a little of it. lube well and everytime but keep turning the die down til you get the bump at the bottom of the stroke, then the shells will start to fit better.

Try to follow the suggestions offered by the others above. Also, when posting your photos,
use the non-floating option and they'll stack.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Elxx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All I have to say is wtf. What did I do wrong?

It's either my die isn't in far enough or my brass is super stretched out.
I suggested the second because I can't close my bolt with the empty shells.
With the 2 shells I de-primed/half neck-sized, I can close the bolt but it's still difficult.
(So I'm assuming this is weak brass and needs to be neck sized).
Before anyone asks...this brass was factory Fiocchi 150g 308s.
The shells have never been reloaded and they were fired in my rifle.

Sorry about the pics being so big/fuzzy. Camera phones are terrible.

You can see in the 3rd picture where I tried to highlight the issue
I was having with the neck.

deprimed1.jpg

deprimed2.jpg

deprimed3.jpg

</div></div>

For sure check the die if it is set up correctly. I just got a new Redding full length die for the .308. Set it up and tried to resize new brass. It wouldnt make it thru the case neck. Hard as hell. I forced it thru and it stretched the neck out. borrowed a die from Capt Kick Ass down the street and compared it to mine. Measured the sizing button on the new die, it was way too big. Made .338 necks on my .308 case. Called redding and they sent me a new button right away. Mistake by manufacturer sometimes. Check the die.

New dies come with the depriming post set to pop the primer out when the case neck is fully sized to the shoulder.
You need to remove the decapping rod and set the neck size die to the correct position on the neck then reinstall the rod and adjust it until it just pops the primer at the correct place on the case neck .
If you intend to partial neck size then first you really need to get a neck sizing die and a body die.
You will need to size a bit more of the neck than halfway.
2/3 to 3/4 is better for a factory chamber. Otherwise chambering can become hard.
Make sure you usea dry lubricant to size necks and a liquid lube on the body .
Polish up cases before sizing operations to get them perfectly clean then lubricate.