• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Im that guy... Elr rear rests or bags.....

Schw15

Longrange
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2019
    Colorado
    Would like a adjustable bag rider but looks like they dont make them for my krg whiskey 3 gen 6 chassis. Is there any other options for adjustable? But im also looking at

Dr. Rear Benchrest/Long Range Bag- Protektor​

ELR Rear Bag precision underground​

Any others im missing

Most ELR shooting isn’t dynamic, get a bag for used f-class if shooting prone or long range benchrest bag if shooting from a bench. Make sure the bag fits your stock (ear spacing, ect.)

If you do want to shoot something dynamic like the NF ELR, then a squeeze bag like the precision underground ELR is appropriate.

4AW has some neat bagriders, one of them might work:

https://4aw-store.myshopify.com/collections/bag-rider

On a nice groomed area a f class type bipod and bunny ear bag or regular bipod with 4AW bag jack.

Where I normally shoot with uneven ground, rip rap and rough areas a regular bipod and PU bag all day

Very different use cases for each one as @Steel head mentions, and one more thing to add: using the Protektor with an F-Class type bipod is not as mobile/easy/quick to set up as a more standard bipod/bag. It takes longer to get set, get on target, etc. Also (one more thing), it will take more room, so shooting from some benches is an issue.

I guess one more, one more thing: a bag like a Protektor is heavy - as it's meant to be. I use Wiebad bags for my more standard setups, as well as the @Precision Underground bag, which is more compact and a little more versatile (for when I don't want to carry much at all).

I don't know if you've watched the video I just did on the subject, but it goes into some of the details. Long story short, if I had to choose only one setup, it would be a more tactical bipod/bag combo as it will serve for everything you want to do and not be a pain to lug around. If you really want to max out ELR capability, something like the Protektor with an F-class bipod is the way to go. So, get both :)

The bipod i use is the accu-tac so more tactical. I thought the adjustable bag rider would be awesome but they do not make it for my krg. But looking over bags the pug elr bag looks nice or the heavy Protektor. My shooting will be dynamic up hill ect.

My F-Class Edgewood bag weighs 25lbs or more and the last thing I want to be lugging around. My ELR rifles have Elite Iron bipods and use squeeze bags. Probably collected over a dozen rear bags over the years both good and bad. A good rear bag with a strap can provide a very stable position. Not a fan of FTR type bipods for heavy magnums.

It’s really a question of what kind of shooting you want to do. A rabbit ear type bag is meant to be used more in a bench rest style. The rifle is on a front rest of some kind, the stock is on the bag. The rifle is not really attached to you, it’s more in a rest. So your NPA will be determined by the front rest and the bag.

The other option would be “tactical” shooting. The rifle is attached to you and your NPA is established by that connection and the angles/pressures from it. Then the bag is used to steady the reticle. So your aim is coming from YOU and your body is used to control recoil.

You can use either bag for either style but it’s going to be a lot harder to use a rabbit ear bag for tactical shooting than it will be to use our bags for bench rest style shooting. Our bags were designed as kind of a bridge between the two actually. The way the fill locks together you can create rabbit ears from the corners of the bag and it will hold it’s shape.

For me tactical shooting is 100% more fun than squeezing a trigger on a rifle that’s on a rest. I’ve got a video started on these things and on the different ways to use a rear bag I just need to get time to finish it. My guess is a lot of/most guys are not connecting themself to the earth and then connecting the rifle to themselves. Most are connecting the rifle to the earth and then somewhat connecting themselves to the rifle. There’s a big difference but if you use a brake and don’t have much recoil you may not know the difference.

Reactions: Schw15
    It’s really a question of what kind of shooting you want to do. A rabbit ear type bag is meant to be used more in a bench rest style. The rifle is on a front rest of some kind, the stock is on the bag. The rifle is not really attached to you, it’s more in a rest. So your NPA will be determined by the front rest and the bag.

The other option would be “tactical” shooting. The rifle is attached to you and your NPA is established by that connection and the angles/pressures from it. Then the bag is used to steady the reticle. So your aim is coming from YOU and your body is used to control recoil.

You can use either bag for either style but it’s going to be a lot harder to use a rabbit ear bag for tactical shooting than it will be to use our bags for bench rest style shooting. Our bags were designed as kind of a bridge between the two actually. The way the fill locks together you can create rabbit ears from the corners of the bag and it will hold it’s shape.

For me tactical shooting is 100% more fun than squeezing a trigger on a rifle that’s on a rest. I’ve got a video started on these things and on the different ways to use a rear bag I just need to get time to finish it. My guess is a lot of/most guys are not connecting themself to the earth and then connecting the rifle to themselves. Most are connecting the rifle to the earth and then somewhat connecting themselves to the rifle. There’s a big difference but if you use a brake and don’t have much recoil you may not know the difference.
    Was not aware of your company until I read your post. Nice gear and may have to order one of your bags.

My guess is a lot of/most guys are not connecting themself to the earth and then connecting the rifle to themselves. Most are connecting the rifle to the earth and then somewhat connecting themselves to the rifle. There’s a big difference but if you use a brake and don’t have much recoil you may not know the difference.
    That was worded very well. I’m going to pay better attention next time I’m at the range how I’m doing it.

Thank you to underground precision I ordered one of their 3d e l r Bags and I'm probably going to order a regular ELR bag with a strap later