• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I'm thinking of getting FFL

awe2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2010
pleasantshade,tn
Don't know if this belongs here,but figured I'd get the most feedback here.I'm considering getting my FFL.I knew a guy that retired from work that had his for something to do.He only charged $20 to order any class 1 firearm you wanted.Thats where I bought my last rifle,and got me thinking.I saved a butt load.He did not renew and no longer has his FFL.So I am asking for opinions for what would be a reasonable fee for ordering a gun.I don't think $20 would be worth all the paper work involved.So from a SELLER STAND POINT,what would be the magic number? I'm leaning between $40 and $100 plus shipping,tax,and back ground check,depending on the wholesale price of the gun.Thanks for ALL input, Alan

Re: I'm thinking of getting FFL

I was thinking $40 to $100 for ordering what the customer wants. Depending on price.I know the local shops charge $50 for transfer's.I could beat that as this would part time.Alan

I have three shops local, $20, $25, and $30. I wouldn't pay that kind of coin for a transfer. No more than $40, no way.

Honestly it all depends on your area.

If there's not alot of ffl's around your area you could make some decent money doing this.

I use to do alot of this exact thing. I still do few transfers a week for customers around the area but have pretty much stoped ordering stuff that customers want, it started to be a pia when I started getting real busy with smithing and custom stuff.

Something to consider is get your SOT stamp and do NFA transfers.

<span style="font-size: 20pt">$40 to $100???!!!</span>

Wow, you're completely nuts or your area is crazy.

$10 is what I pay as a repeat guy, and local shops are $25. ($40 at Scottsdale, and those guys charge out the nose for their rich snob clientele)

Are you one of those jack*** who's going to charge to make the background PHONE CALL???!!!

$100 for a transfer..., don't even apply for your license.

Oh second thought, go ahead. See how much business ya get.

Places all can't even get $100 for a Full Auto around here...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-size: 20pt">$40 to $100???!!!</span>

Wow, you're completely nuts or your area is crazy.

$10 is what I pay as a repeat guy, and local shops are $25. ($40 at Scottsdale, and those guys charge out the nose for their rich snob clientele)

Are you one of those jack*** who's going to charge to make the background PHONE CALL???!!!

$100 for a transfer..., don't even apply for your license.

Oh second thought, go ahead. See how much business ya get.

Places all can't even get $100 for a Full Auto around here...</div></div>

pretty sure he's just talking markup, don't quote me, but I have a hunch. Try reading back through the original post

It really varies by area. Around here, you're lucky if any of the guys who charge less than $50 for a transfer (and tack on crap like $5 for pics checks on TOP of that) will give you the time of day, much less actually conduct your transfer in less than a months time.

There only 2 shops in my county,and the markup is crazy.I saved $300 on my last purchase by going with the guy that retired from work.I don't think $40 over wholesale is a bad deal.And no Kswift I did not say $100 for a transfer.

most shops only get about 10 percent markup,

most gun buyers are looking to spend about 300-400 bucks (there lots of exclusions, but if you are going to go bottom basement you better be able to appeal to a large audience). you do the math, if you order something from Jerry's that is 329 there, and you try to sell it for 400, you can bet you not only are going to have a small profit margin but chances are you are going to be overpriced. Especially since the larger shops in your area are buying on annual purchasing contracts and have year long financing, special offers, and early pay discounts (up to %9 depending on manufacturer and how early you pay off your bill). All things you aren't going to have.

It's going to set you back a pretty penny ($1200 annually I think, but that might be class 3). so you can quickly calculate how much business you will have to do to break even on it annually. Not to mention, if you ever give up your license you have to turn over all the weapons you have on the license, or transfer them to yourself and still fill out 4473's on them all (which makes the ATF real curious BTW).

If you have money and are looking to do it for shits and giggles go for it. If you think it is a quick way to an easy buck, I'm afraid you are mistaken.

Thats the thing.There is only 2 shops in my county,and $40 is 10% of $400.The FFL is good for 3 years if I am right.If someone wants to spend $800 on a rifle, they could get more gun for the money since I would charge a flat fee to get what they want.I won't have to pay rent,utilies,etc.Please give me more input. Alan

I pay my guy $10 to do a transfer on items not purchased through him. He charges 10% on items ordered through him and that includes the transfer.

Don't be supprised when you find out the current requirements for getting an FFL. I stand open to correction on this but I belive these are current.
1. you must submit fingerprints and go thru the background check yourself.
2. You must have a place of business open to the public at posted hours.
3. This place must be in the proper zoning code for your local area to run a commercial business. Home business's may not be allowed.
4. You must have a local business license/sales tax license for that address.
5. The business location will probably be inspected by a local BATF agent for security, public parking, etc before a FFL is granted.
In short, you need to have a store or a business open to the public with proper zoning and licenseing.
Again, I think these are current but stand open to correction.

I have read the requirements,but have not checked the local zoneing issues.Just asking for opinions for priceing before I pursue this any farther.Thanks,Alan

local guy will sell guns for dealer cost plus tax, shipping
and charge 30.00 to order and do all paper work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dick Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 2. You must have a place of business open to the public at posted hours.
</div></div>

I know they require that, but that has to be unconstitutional. I've given thought to applying and arguing that the internet is my place of business. Once denied, I would take 'em to court. I don't have enough free to do all the legal work, though. If that's still a requirement in 25 years or so when I retire, I'll definitely give it a go. I believe I could win that one.

Around here is as follows
15 to 20 for transfers
40 to 75 on average above wholesale
Out of the profit on a sell the dealer has shipping, Call in fee ($2.00), and 3% if he paid the wholesaler with a credit card.

The going rate around here is $75 and some of these scumbags want 10-15 % of the value of the gun
mad.gif

As for the requirements to obtain an FFL its not as hard as they make it out to be. I had every thing GTG but then the lovely zoneing man came to my house. I had been talking to a ATF agent who does the inspections in my area and he was very helpful and even came by my house one day and went over some stuff that I had not considered before he brought them to my attention. So I fixed those issues and then had to apply for my zoning permit that I had over looked. The county zoning officer refused to give me my zoning permit because my residence is not zoned for the sale of items not made on site. So I filled out the paperwork to change the zoning and found out it would cost any where from $2,000-5,000 depending on if the county I live in protested the chage. SO needless to say I thanked the ATF agent for his time and scraped the idea.

As for my area $20 is about average to transfer a firearm. If you are a regular about 10-15 and LEO is free at a couple. Mark up on pistols is 12-18% and rifles are about 12%. I spend a lot of time with the owners of a few shops and I have helped answer phones so they finally told me the mark ups based off the cost of the weapons. hope that helps.

Around here, kitchen table FFL dealers charge $20 to $25 for a transfer.

If they order something for you, they'll typically charge 10% over cost.

I almost always Gunbroker what I buy. So I always pay $20 for the transfer. I too was considering getting the FFL. But I decided for the paperwork burden and the 2-3 guns I buy a year that it is a MUCH better deal to pay someone $20 to $25 per transfer.

The truth is, unless you are a pawn shop, there's very little profit in guns. Very little markup. And gun owners are so fickle, you can't stock what everyone wants unless you are a big money, high volume dealer.

-David
Edgewood, NM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAGUA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The going rate around here is $75 and some of these scumbags want <span style="color: #FF0000">10-15 % of the value of the gun</span>
mad.gif
. </div></div>

I've had customers say this to me several times.

Thanks alot guys.Thats more in line what I was looking for.My next step is to check my local zoneing issues.I hope thats not a deal breaker.Not trying to get rich,but have good prices and make a dollar in the middle.Thanks,Alan

It seems like I can usually find a dealer that will do $50 over cost for ordering new guns.
He also charges $20 for transfers.

He is retiring also and I have been thinking of doing the same. The closest FFL is a two hour drive away from me right now. Of corse I would also look into a SOT to go with it as well.

I have been out of work for almost a month due to an injury and have used alot of the time to research starting a class 3 dealer with a small range in the basemnt. From what I can find there are no local class 3 dealers. This was started it all for me.

there are 6 or 7 dealers within 20 miles, cabelas, bass pro shop, a police supply shop, and a handfull of small to medium shops.

Most shops will not do transfers on items thst they stock or can order. Which makes things very difficult. when i was looking for a p220 elite sao they all could order it but for 4 hundred more and no idea how long it would take,

When they will do the transfer its 40 plus.

now as far as the busseniss end of it. from what i could tell there are 3 ;arge whoesalers that would cover 90 percent of the firearms on the market. the problem with finding profitsbility is that none of these wholesalers will gibe any pricing information to you unless you create an account which requires a ffl, bus. lic. and a store front.

as said there are also a mound of paperwork involved for the business lic. there are state, county, and city laws and zoning to deal with, then there are llc/scorp filings, insurance(a must)

I just dont see how you can be profitable and stay out of gray areas workinf ou of your house.

just my 2 cebts

I sent in all my paperwork about a week ago to get a ffl. It wasn't too bad. My thoughts on pricing were $20 or $25 for transfer. As far as new firearms, make whatever I can and still be cheaper than large retail stores, with customers getting a good deal. I don't have any plans of getting rich, just have a passion for firearms. Good luck on getting your ffl.

I've been places back home that charge $15 - 25 to do a transfer but then lived an other place where some A$$-hole wouldn't transfer in something that that they stock & sell. But it's their business so who am I to say.............

I too have wondered over the years and given thought of opening a small business but the overhead to get going and meeting some of the requirements has held me back. My home area is very rural and the couple shops we have in the area struggle to stay afloat. They are mom & pops business open part time and run by folks in the off hours of there "regular" jobs. They just can't compete with the big city shops (90 miles to Buffalo & 65 or so to Rochester for me).

Maybe a combination old times style country store / gun shop is what I need....................

<span style="font-weight: bold">Every</span> pawn shop near me- and there a too many to count- have FFL's.
Most are $25 transfers PLUS $5 for the phone call...(I <span style="font-style: italic">still</span>don't understand why all that isn't computerized!)
I found one pawn shop that charges the $25+$5 for the first transfer, and $10 for each additional. So, for a multiple order, it's not too bad.

We're into milsurps, so I recently sent away for my C&R so I can buy those direct...

Several of them are part of Davidson's network of sellers, and I know their markup is minimal. There is a small lgs down the street, he <span style="font-style: italic">tells</span>me he makes less than $50 on firearms sold through Davidson's. For him, online gun sales and transfers are the "gravy" but don't pay the bills.

It's the in-store inventory that he makes money on. Buying/selling.
There are always people that prefer (probably rightly so in the case of handguns) to pick it up, hold it in their hands before they commit to purchase. These are the customers that keep him in business.

That's what I've been told...

I have one local guy who does it for $25/4473 form. If you transfer 1 weapon or 5 weapons, he only charges $25.

I'm quite the repeat and occasionally he throws me a freebie.

When I'm up near my parents' place the local buffoon there wants $35/weapon bought there and $50weapon for an internet transfer, $70/weapon if it's "collectible in any way"...

He's the only guy around and everyone there hates him for it.

My dad is willing to drive an hour each way to a buddy of mine just for the free transfer and opportunity to skip doing business with the jerk that is literally 4 minutes down the road.

Be careful how you price yourself or you'll find yourself with a lot of 1 time customers...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Every</span> pawn shop near me- and there a too many to count- have FFL's.
Most are $25 transfers PLUS $5 for the phone call...(I <span style="font-style: italic">still</span>don't understand why all that isn't computerized!)
</div></div>

The NICS system is computerized. The dealer has to fill out a form and register online. Not too many people use it, but it's there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Every</span> pawn shop near me- and there a too many to count- have FFL's.
</div></div>

The NICS system is computerized. The dealer has to fill out a form and register online. Not too many people use it, but it's there. </div></div>

Didn't know that. They must not be too bright, because <span style="font-style: italic">they</span>were the ones griping about the wait times on hold before the xmas holiday. Unless there's additional fees involved (I'm guessing not because it's always more expensive to talk to a real body) I don't know why they don't do it...

Because not too many FFL holders know about it.

With the age of computers and the internet, you can really keep track of all the information online. But there will also be the people out there that trust the paper then the computer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Every</span> pawn shop near me- and there a too many to count- have FFL's.
</div></div>

The NICS system is computerized. The dealer has to fill out a form and register online. Not too many people use it, but it's there. </div></div>

My dealer says that all the system does is allow you to fill out the form online. Then it prints out something like nine sheets of paper (all the instructions) and then he still has to call it in.

He might be wrong but that was his reply when I was talking with him about it.

Thanks alot for the input.Called the zoneing office today at 3:30 and low and behold he had left for the day.Hope he used some vacation time.That would make me feel better about my county elections.[tax dollars at work]

My friend called me the other day, and in the course of chatting told me about a shop in his area that charges MSRP + 25%... my jaw hit the floor. Dealers don't pay MSRP, fuck I don't even pay MSRP as a retail customer. Talk about crooked business.

I've given some thought to getting my license just so I can ship/receive without hassle. In my state, those who hold a CCW permit are exempt from the NICS call, so that makes life even easier some of the time.

I think I would charge $25 per transfer, though I could see doing it for less for repeat customers. Several folks in town just run out of their home, and that is what I would do as well since I don't have the capital (or desire) to compete as a gun store in town.

As it is, I go through a shop that charges $35 per transfer, but he has done right by me on direct sales so I stick with him. There are a couple others in town, but one I refuse to do business with and the others are not much cheaper... and I don't know their track records (most are unknown to me, and the big "gun specialty" pawn shop just got ripped off so I don't want my stuff sitting in there too long).

Unfortunately, the one I can't stand is the local C3/SOT, so that hampers NFA stuff for people who don't know about the others around here (not in the phonebook). This joint once quoted me $300 in dealer fees PLUS the price difference on a GemTech can, even though I was getting a smokin deal on the GemTech. If I have to pay the difference to the dealer, then it's not a deal anymore. Same joint tried to rip me off on a headspace check too. Told me $10, then wouldn't give me change for a bigger bill. He finally did when other customers started turning to watch the argument, if only to shut me up.

Anyway, the point is just to be careful and don't turn into one of those joints that gives the gun industry a bad name.

I have recently obtained an FFL myself and can tell you there is alot of federal paperwork(for good reason) and there are alot of rules and regs. 20-25 dollars is about all they get around hear to do a transfer and its hard to beat the major stores on price. You can make alot more by getting an FFL and doing gunsmithing rather than selling firearms. My 2 Cents......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STI_1911_Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have recently obtained an FFL myself and can tell you there is alot of federal paperwork(for good reason) and there are alot of rules and regs. You can make alot more by getting an FFL and doing gunsmithing rather than selling firearms. My 2 Cents...... </div></div>

It's also a lot easier to get zoned for gunsmithing in most locations + you get the bennies of an 01 FFL.

Around here the transfer fees are $20-$30 depending where you go. There is a dealer close that gets 10% over wholesale on all new purchases. If you get your ffl's, enjoy the BATFE's nose up yer ass!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PBinWA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Every</span> pawn shop near me- and there a too many to count- have FFL's.
</div></div>

My dealer says that all the system does is allow you to fill out the form online. Then it prints out something like nine sheets of paper (all the instructions) and then he still has to call it in.

He might be wrong but that was his reply when I was talking with him about it. </div></div>

No, you can do it all online. When I talked to the ATF at SHOT, I specifically asked them if you could and you can as I played around with the demo.

I've been told the ATF is really cracking down and making it difficult to get an FFL without a store front.

I got ahold of the zoneing office guy,and with the zoneing where I live,I would have to go to the next meeting and appeal to the board to let me do this.I think this may be more trouble than it's worth.Thanks for all the replies,Alan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Because not too many FFL holders know about it.

With the age of computers and the internet, you can really keep track of all the information online. But there will also be the people out there that trust the paper then the computer. </div></div>

4473 still has to be filled out.

I work at Gander, and the FBI has asked us to start using the E-Check system....IT SUCKS compared to just picking up the phone and calling.

Instead of rattling off your ffl and codeword to a person who can type fast as hell, now you have to fill in 5 lines every time you sign in to the system (ffl, codeword, username, your name, and phone number). Then you get to type their first, last, and middle name TWICE. Scroll through a bunch of menus.

I could pick up the phone and have a proceed in a matter of one minute flat depending on the examiner. Now its a 5 minute process if I have to sign in.

Not to mention, we have to type all the information now twice since we have to do it again into our inventory software.

Guess the govt has to save money somehow.

Oh, I forgot... We also only have 2 computers, so if 5 people are buying a gun at the same time, before we could phone 5 forms in at once and be done in 5 minutes, now we have to sit and wait for a computer to free up. Needless to say I still call in a lot.