• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I'm Thinking Sako TRG 22, FNH SPR A5 or...

Flatbush Harry

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2011
Colorado
and I go to the range yesterday to practice with my .30-06 Sprg hunting rifles. I decided to start with my Savage 116 FHSAK and my standard .30-06 match load of 47.0 gr of IMR 4895, CCI BR2 primers, SMK 168 gr and, in this case, R-P 2x fired brass.

The target below from 100 yards at the local range (apologies to all...it's only a 3-shot group) is attached:

4a8d60ac.jpg

So, I'm sitting here thinking, maybe I can save $1,500 and just go with a Savage LRP in .260 or 6.5x.284 Norma.

More thinking is required.

FH, pondering

Re: I'm Thinking Sako TRG 22, FNH SPR A5 or...

though a really good group, it's only ONE group. You want a rifle that will do that every day, in the cold, the heat, the rain. Not just for three shots, but all the shots. Can you get that from the Savage rifle you're thinking about??? More thinking IS required. Good luck in your endeavor

Nice group!

I'd take a TRG (non folder/less $) over any rifle out there for the money. Although I could be talked into an AIAX though, if I had another 5 grand burning a hole in my pocket.

Having had both the TRG and and FN, both are GREAT rifles. Not to say your group above from your Savage isn't nice also. But, as one poster put it, can you do that for a 5-shot group, all the time, in the various elements? That's where an FN or a TRG come into play, IMO. Good luck in your endeavors!!
laugh.gif

I had an FN SPR A3G, have a custom SPR in 284, and have a TRG42.

The TRG is awesome, slick, and light. However, FNs have a sweet warranty/guarantee. Both great rifles.

The TRG folder can be had/found/price matched for less than MSRP. It's one of the reasons I picked it over the AIAE. I haven't taken delivery of it yet but the folder does add some additional weight. I looked at the AX but it wasn't appealing until they release the .308 kit for the longer chassis.

Thanks for the comments guys. You're right, of course, it's only a 3-shot group and it's only one, although this rifle has been a consistent 0.67 MOA rifle to date out to 200 yards. You're also correct that I don't know and haven't tried rain, snow, etc.

I do know that the SPR and TRG as well as the AIs are purpose-designed to perform in all weathers. I was reacting to how well this rifle did and my thinking that a Savage might be a good answer. That said, I won't bet my off the shelf Savage against any of your purpose-built rifles.

Cheers, and best regards,

FH

I would have thought the TRG folder would weigh less given less material in the folder? Btw, KRG offers an aftermarket folding stock for $890 which I am going to try.

The folder is phosphated steel vs mostly hollow polyurethane(?) on the fixed stock. I'm not sure but I recall reading here somewhere that its about a pound more. The KRG is definitely the route I would go if I didn't get a screaming deal on the factory folder. Add an accushot monopod and you've still saved $1.7k over the factory option at full price.

I just got back from a school and one of the departments had their guys outfitted with Savages. New team, just getting their SOP's and training together and sorted.

Their optics and setups in general were fairly entry level. Definitely all budget gear. But the Savage rifles were great shooters at LE ranges, which is <100 yds. Not just good. Great!

Were the bolts butter smooth? No. Was the fit and finish up to AI/SAKO/Sig/Etc. standards? No. Were they the mechanical/design equivalents of the aforementioned rifles? No.

But I have to say that I was darned impressed with how those rifles were shooting. If the optics/mounts/ammo, etc. had been better-thought-out, these rifles would have been completely up to speed. I came away thinking that the Savage's may be among the best performance/dollar rifle out there. And with some tinkering, they would really be something.

I love my TRG and it is as consistent and reliable as gravity. But don't poo-poo the Savages (or the 700 variants, etc.) In the hands of the right guys they are very good shooting guns. I was impressed!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Honestly, my dads old Remington 742 autoloader 308 with irons seems adequate for shooting things that need dying at 100 yards or less.

Imma say TRG just cause i just ordered one and cant wait to shoot it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: reloader-1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The TRG-22 is the sweetest shooting rifle I own. </div></div>

Same here.

Yep another +1 on the SAKO TRG, I just received mine two weeks ago. Its all that and a bag of chips.

yes, the savage are fantasticly accurate for the money and you can buy a few of them for the price of one TRG22 but the ergonimics of the Sako surpasses the savage, the trigger cannot even be compared, the smoothness of the bolt and mag changes are far superior and you would be way more proud to own one Sako TRG22 over any savage.
I can tell you this because I own Sako TRG22, Savage, FN SPR and rem 700, the TRG is the best of those and shoot tiny groups too.
hope this helps
cheers.

My TRG is the tits. I have several mildly tuned Remington 700s and while they do well for what they cost, they don't compare to my TRG. I have never owned a Savage, but probably will someday.

While that is dandy shootin, its going to be a cold day in hell when/if I have to sell my TRG...