• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I'm torn.

orkan

Primal Rights, Inc.
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Oct 27, 2008
    South Dakota, USA
    www.primalrights.com
    I need a new stock for my rem700 SA.

I'm torn between a mcmillan A5 with thumb adjustable cheek, and the AICS. By the time I put a badger M5 in the bottom of the mcmillan, it will be as expensive as the AICS, so cost isn't really a concern.

I'm hoping you guys can help me decide. For starters, I've never felt-up either of them. I live in BFE south dakota and I've never even SEEN a AICS or McMillan A5 in person, much less had the opportunity to get behind them and see which I like more.

Will I need to bed the AICS? I'm assuming I would need to bed the McMillan.

What do you see as the pro's and con's of each platform?

What benefit does the AICS 2.0 folder offer over the non-folding models? Does the folder still shoot as good as the solid models even though it moves?

What about weight? How does the weight of either system compare?

Where's the best place to aqquire either of them?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: I'm torn.

I have a good friend that farms just north of Yankton,SD that has an AW that would give you a feel for the AICS. I will be up there the middle of August and we are going to drive to the shoot in Gilette, WY. What part of "God's Country" do you live in? I used to live on the Sioux River between Elk Point and Jefferson down in Union County.

Darin Reiss
    FFL/SOT in Haysville, KS

I'm north. Up in Huron, about 150miles from sioux falls.

Is there anyone in this state, or border states that sells both?

I'm leaning toward the AICS 2.0, mainly because I've read it doesn't require bedding in most cases. Swinging out of the way for cleaning would also be a plus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    What benefit does the AICS 2.0 folder offer over the non-folding models? Does the folder still shoot as good as the solid models even though it moves?

What about weight? How does the weight of either system compare?

</div></div>

I've shot my friend's rifle with 2.0 for a while and while ergonomically it could be better, it was rock solid, no movement from the folding mechanism, and this is the same with about three I've used. No bedding needed also.

No experience with the A5, but somehow I think it would be lighter than the AICS, unless you get the sniper fill.

I have the Mcree, it is a little heavier than the AICS but it is rock solid. In addition the modular construction means that if Scott makes new and nifty things later on they can just be swapped out.

I really like the manner stocks rock solid adjustable cheek piece i got mine for 600 with the extra money i bought ammo;)

AICS is a love / hate type of stock. I've never met anyone thathas actualy fired one that was ambivilant. You either love it or you hate it. The A-5 is very nice but as you pointed out it requires bedding and if you want a bottom feeder, extra parts.

The McRee on the otherhand feels alot like an AR-15 and is more adjustable than most folks can make use of. It also doesn't need bedding. There was a thread a little while ago that talked about doing a M-24 sniper rifle stock swap. I was there and it was impressive. Scott is also a great guy and posts here.

Do a search on McRee, there are several threads.

Oh yeah, it's a bottom feeder out of the gate
    laugh.gif

Cheers,

Doc

Well, I've pretty much decided on a AICS 2.0.

In a week, I'll be going on a road trip for a friends wedding down to Chicago, IL. Is there any place between Huron, SD and Chicago, IL that has an AICS 2.0 in stock?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AICS is a love / hate type of stock. I've never met anyone thathas actualy fired one that was ambivilant. You either love it or you hate it.

Doc </div></div>

Well Doc you've not met me yet, but if you had, I would be the first person you've ever met who has actually fired one and neither hate or love the AICS.
    laugh.gif

We must meet so you can put that "regret" to rest!
    laugh.gif
    Will you be at SHOT Las Vegas 2010?

mr adam bauer is also a great guy to deal with , ://www.bauerarms.com/ he stocks tons of this stuff good luck adam

I talked to bauer arms and he said they have long action in stock, but no short action, which is what I need.
    frown.gif

I'll look randy up.

Anyone want to part with theirs? hehe

I have owned both stocks. As Doc said, its a love hate with the AICS. You don't have to bed it, usually. It's heavy, cumbersome and reliable. The A5 is a great stock..I have had 3 of them. Ergonimically the A5 has the AICS beat 6 ways from Sunday. The A5 was dessiged in my mind for muliti-position shooting, the AICS was designed for prone. However, both will work you just have to get used to them. I am not in love with my DTA SRS and its more unlike either of these in a way. The AICS is easier for someone in BFE to take care of them selves though regarding changing the LOP, putting the action in and out of the stock, etc. The 2.0 may be worth the money to get the damn cheek piece outta the way when cleaning the weapon.

Just got off the phone with a wonderful lady at Mile High Shooting.

Ordered a green 2.0 which should arrive tomorrow.
    smile.gif

I probably won't get a damn thing done today. I'll just be watching videos and looking at pictures of AICS and AI rifles all day.