• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos [IMG]http://i56.tinypic.com/ddyyif.jpg[/IMG]

garrett

Private
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2007
Seattle, WA
Guys any help identifying these would be greatly appreciated. They belonged to my grandfather. I was young when he passed away but he has always been an inspiration in my life.
Thanks

url]

Re:
ddyyif.jpg

Ill take a stab, not 100% knowledgeable about AF ribbons.

From left to right.

1- Distinguished Flying Cross
2- Air Medal
3- Air Force Commendation
4- American Campaign
5- European-African Middle Eastern Campaign
6- World War II Victory
7- Army of Occupation
8- National Defense
9- Armed Forces Reserve

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Still working...</span>

Thats the best I could come up with

Re:
ddyyif.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Knight, much appreciated. </div></div>

Quite welcome.

Re:
ddyyif.jpg

If you could find the citation for the DFC on the left, that would be something. They don't just give that away.

Re:
ddyyif.jpg

The second one, the Air Medal, is pretty much a Bronze Star for flyers as the DFC is a Silver Star for flyers.

Your Grandfather was a good man.

Re:
ddyyif.jpg

Thanks for the kind words guys. Growing up he was always a great influence in my life. As a kid I had no knowledge of the extent of his military service, he was always just grandpa. He was stern but fair and my brother and I were his only grandchildren and he loved us very much though he was not the type to show it often. I only wish I had been a little older when he passed. There is still so much I wanted to talk to him about.

Ill work on finding the DFC citation.

Re:
ddyyif.jpg

Bomber pilot ? Many got the DFC for surviving specific missions by all out impressive airmanship and big balls IE: continuing to drop with crippled aircraft or bringing same home. Also many received the DFC for surviving a full slate of 25 missions. The 8th Air Force alone awarded 41,000 DFC's in WW2... not that they were easily earned, just that many heroes in the "big one".

BTW... those are Command Pilot Wings. Lots of hours in the air to get those...

Re:
ddyyif.jpg

Bomber Pilot for sure. B-26 and B-17 mostly I think but my father said that gramps flew just about every airplane the USAF had.
smile.gif

Got some new info recently from grandma, he was the Lt. Col of the 22nd Airlift wing in California some time after the war doing SAR. This has become a very interesting little project, heading over to her house next week to dig through his old service documents.

Re:
ddyyif.jpg

I know you are proud. Your grandfather was a Hero. My grandfather was in europe during ww1. He died when I was 11 years old.So I only found out about his service after his death. Too bad.I hope you are able to find his service record.
Bob.