• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Impact 737 + 6mm ARC?

SuperSneakySniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
Hey there,
I want to get an Impact Precision build going with a 6mm ARC chamber. Just had a couple questions:

Anyone have experience with this setup using MDT's metal 6mm arc mags? I just want to make sure they feed well. Any other 6mm arc magazine recomendations out there?

And, has anyone had any issues with this setup? Would the CRF of a Bighorn Origin have an advantage over the Impact when dealing with these short rounds or should the Impact do just fine?

Never shot anything other than 308 face calibers so it's new territory for me.

Thanks!
-SSS

Honestly for an impact I would not choose 6ARC.

Special bolt will be needed. Hard to resell and they are $450.

Brass sucks.

You can do everything a 6ARC can do with a straight 6BR.

With that being said if you want to do it I’m sure they will feed fine.

If you wanted to play around with cartridges like that I’d get an action with changeable bolt heads.

Good point. I like Zermat/Bighorn, but found that Impacts bind less. Which, overall isnt super important, but still something I consider.
If anyone has an interchangeable bolt head action they recomend that can at least compare to an Impact in terms of smoothness of operation, please let me know!

ARC CDG is what you should be looking at.

I fail to see why you would run 6ARC in a bolt gun and be limited to shitty Hornady brass thats hard to come by instead of just running 6 BR with a normal 308 bolt face and enjoy good brass and a round that feeds reliably for a shit load of people that use it in matches.

If it's for the factory ammo, you can get factory Lapua 6BR ammo too...

I have built a few 6 Arc in Impacts. I have never heard back about any feeding issue. There are quite a few tinkerers out there.

The only semi selling point (to me) of 6 Arc bolt gun......is new shooter non-reloading that runs 6 Arc in ARs that wants to bulk purchase same ammo for both?

An Arc in a mini mauser or similiar action would be a neat little rifle......but so would a BR or Dasher.

Ern

I fail to see why you would run 6ARC in a bolt gun and be limited to shitty Hornady brass thats hard to come by instead of just running 6 BR with a normal 308 bolt face and enjoy good brass and a round that feeds reliably for a shit load of people that use it in matches.

If it's for the factory ammo, you can get factory Lapua 6BR ammo too...

I agree.

You're spending a lot of money just to handicap yourself.

Go 6BR or BR variant.

Hey there,
I want to get an Impact Precision build going with a 6mm ARC chamber. Just had a couple questions:

Anyone have experience with this setup using MDT's metal 6mm arc mags? I just want to make sure they feed well. Any other 6mm arc magazine recomendations out there?

And, has anyone had any issues with this setup? Would the CRF of a Bighorn Origin have an advantage over the Impact when dealing with these short rounds or should the Impact do just fine?

Never shot anything other than 308 face calibers so it's new territory for me.

Thanks!
-SSS
No experience with that particular setup, but my Christensen Arms MPR 6mm ARC uses the MDT 12rd 6 ARC mags, and it feeds flawlessly. 👍🏼

I would think an Origin would feed fine in 6ARC, the shortest case I run in mine is a 6GT, but even with that I’ve noticed that my Origin with the CRF runs a lot smoother than 6GT in any push-feed actions I’ve felt (and I’ve felt more than a couple).

Though, I don’t understand what you mean when you say they bind more than an Impact… actions don’t bind on their own, and any action will bind if not run correctly.

The biggest issue with the shorter cases in an Origin is that the mechanical ejector will kick out a spent case before the boltface is back far enough to pick up a new one… so while mine feeds like butter, I have to remember to pull the bolt all the way to the rear or else I end up being a dumbass and jamming it by running it home too soon.

Good point. I like Zermat/Bighorn, but found that Impacts bind less. Which, overall isnt super important, but still something I consider.
If anyone has an interchangeable bolt head action they recomend that can at least compare to an Impact in terms of smoothness of operation, please let me know!

I have been running a couple TL3 actions and they are very smooth. Never had one bind up on me in a match. Have run them in .223, 6 and 6.5 Creedmoor. Can let you know how it does when my 6 ARC barrel comes in from PVA. Got Hornady 108 factory ammo and MDT 12 round mags showing up Tuesday. Should be fun. 😉

51F4E42F-0B29-4279-96E3-62BB3211BF27.jpeg

I have been running a couple TL3 actions and they are very smooth. Never had one bind up on me in a match. Have run them in .223, 6 and 6.5 Creedmoor. Can let you know how it does when my 6 ARC barrel comes in from PVA. Got Hornady 108 factory ammo and MDT 12 round mags showing up Tuesday. Should be fun. 😉

View attachment 8159187
Oooh looks fun, yeah keep me posted!

And yeah I just want to play around with the cartridge is all. Didnt realize 6BR was that much better honestly. I actually thought there were some feeding issues with 6BR. But I'll look into it. Along with 6GT.
I want to get into these short fat rounds instead of continuing to burn out my 6CM. Ive got a 6 ARC AR and a good quantity of factory ammo for it, figured it'd be easy for me to mess around with something that had factory ammo, and didnt feel like reloading for the project.

Seems like Impact will still get the job done! Albiet at a higher cost. An Origin and CDG is tempting! Thanks for the advice fellas!

Reactions: Crowlander
I have built a few 6 Arc in Impacts. I have never heard back about any feeding issue. There are quite a few tinkerers out there.

The only semi selling point (to me) of 6 Arc bolt gun......is new shooter non-reloading that runs 6 Arc in ARs that wants to bulk purchase same ammo for both?

An Arc in a mini mauser or similiar action would be a neat little rifle......but so would a BR or Dasher.

Ern
I just ordered exactly that from you guys. Same reason as the other guys - it matches my gas gun and I don’t reload (yet!)

Reactions: AccuSol-ERN
When I tried to run a 6 arc in a 700 action the case would drop off in the race way and would not eject reliably. Maybe you wont have that issue with an impact. Running an origin now. Works great. I use the plastic 224 valk magazines.