• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Impact 737 pre-fit issues

samuraiwarrior23

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 8, 2001
    The Bunker.LI NY
    I finally got a benchmark 308 barrel on my Impact 737 action at 75 ft lbs.I checked it with Clymers Go and No go gauges.the problem is the bolt closes with very little if any resistance on the No- Go gauge.Is this normal?Can the rifle be fired?should I send the barrel back?

I finally got a benchmark 308 barrel on my Impact 737 action at 75 ft lbs.I checked it with Clymers Go and No go gauges.the problem is the bolt closes with very little if any resistance on the No- Go gauge.Is this normal?Can the rifle be fired?should I send the barrel back?

I'd put one layer of scotch tape on the no-go gauge. If it won't close on that then I'd go shoot and be happy. This is just to verify that the headspace is at least very close to your no-go and not way too long.

This is likely just an issue caused by a difference in headspace gauges. The gunsmiths gauge could easily be off by .002" from your gauge. As long as you resize your brass correctly this shouldn't cause you an issue for the life of the barrel.

If the scotch tape on the no-go still allows the bolt to close then I would contact the gunsmith that made the pre-fit and give them a chance to fix it.

Also, if you don't like the scotch tape method then order a field gauge. If it won't close on the field gauge you are good to go. If it will close on a field gauge the barrel needs to be fixed by the gunsmith.

On another note. I have never seen headspace being a little on the long end of the spectrum affect precision negatively.

I'd put one layer of scotch tape on the no-go gauge. If it won't close on that then I'd go shoot and be happy. This is just to verify that the headspace is at least very close to your no-go and not way too long.

This is likely just an issue caused by a difference in headspace gauges. The gunsmiths gauge could easily be off by .002" from your gauge. As long as you resize your brass correctly this shouldn't cause you an issue for the life of the barrel.

If the scotch tape on the no-go still allows the bolt to close then I would contact the gunsmith that made the pre-fit and give them a chance to fix it.
    06611386-1876-443D-8206-077AABE13667.gif

Also, take measurements with a comparator and see how far exactly it’s growing when you hit resistance.

I had a sort of similar issue awhile back due to counter bore but I used layers of tape to see just how far out I was. (New layers each time though if they get scratched though to keep it smooth and even)
    8D47E9BC-7612-4621-81B0-615970C28993.jpeg

Yep check with scotch tape. If it doesnt close your g2g. If it does, Id be sending it back. Ive seen gauges different in the same caliber from one maker to the next....