• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Impact Action Barrel Choice

lts1ow

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2018
Does the 737r action require a special barrel ?

I meant more along the lines of if I have a blank, there is nothing different from this action than a regular 700

I meant more along the lines of if I have a blank, there is nothing different from this action than a regular 700
Well it's a completely different tenon print.

But any competent smith can take a blank and chamber/threat or for an impact

Except unlike the R700 they dont need action in hand

Cool, just wanted to be sure my barrel nut setup would work.

Cool, just wanted to be sure my barrel nut setup would work.

Is the barrel a complete blank, or has it already been threaded on the tennon to accept a barrel nut?

I'm a bit confused by your post, hopefully its not a savage small shank threaded style prefit barrel setup with a barrel nut. That will not work with an Impact action.

Like @b6graham stated, the shank of the barrel will have to be threaded per the tennon print of the Impact action, any competent gunsmith being able to do so. Usually, people don't run barrel nuts with Impact actions, as the actions are held to such tight tolerances that they usually just get the gunsmith to spin up a shouldered barrel without having to send their action off. IMO, a shouldered barrel is superior in most ways to a barrel nut setup.

What sort of barrel nut setup were you planning?

Barrel is threaded for 700 actions, with a barrel nut. IE, remage style.

Barrel was ordered with its intent to go on my 700 action, but it showed up way late and the new action is arriving at the same time.

So, just wanted to be sure it will work on the Impact.

Barrel was ordered with its intent to go on my 700 action, but it showed up way late and the new action is arriving at the same time.

Not sure if serious. No, it will not fit. Your impact is made to an exacting tolerance to be able to accept prefit barrels, that is prefit barrels made for an Impact not just any prefit you have.

Not sure if serious. No, it will not fit. Your impact is made to an exacting tolerance to be able to accept prefit barrels, that is prefit barrels made for an Impact not just any prefit you have.
Why is that?

Both actions share a 1-1/16x16 thread and he’s using a nut.

Only caveat I see is barrel face, coned or cut for cut for Remington three rings of steel.

Why is that?

Both actions share a 1-1/16x16 thread and he’s using a nut.

Only caveat I see is barrel face, coned or cut for cut for Remington three rings of steel.

I suppose he can try it, assuming the barrel face is cut correctly and his chassis/stock can accept the barrel contour and the remage nut. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable torqueing the nut into the receiver face and risk voiding any kind of warranty.

If I were OP, I'd either put it on the intended R700, or sell it and order the correct prefit barrel and action wrench and follow the intentions of the manufacturer.

I suppose he can try it, assuming the barrel face is cut correctly and his chassis/stock can accept the barrel contour and the remage nut. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable torqueing the nut into the receiver face and risk voiding any kind of warranty.

If I were OP, I'd either put it on the intended R700, or sell it and order the correct prefit barrel and action wrench and follow the intentions of the manufacturer.
you realize people buy actions with the INTENT of using remage/savage barrel nut prefits only right

Reactions: Eddie Patrick
Not saying it can or it cant, just that your reasoning doesnt have any evidence to back it up. What we are missing is actual info.

Impact specs
1-1/16-16 3a thread. .705/.150 counterbore. .950 headspace

Remington should be 1-1/16 and thats about where my experience ends. I cant tell you if the remington would properly fit or not, but I can tell you that it will thread in.

1568752022256.png

So lets try to tie the impact numbers to the rem700 numbers.

Threads should match with 1-1/16-16

Im guessing the impacts .705 is the same spec as the rem prints .708? Which would mean that the rem barrel should fit the impacts bolt nose diameter with .003 of extra wiggle room? Seems like a good fit so far

The impacts .150 counter bore is I assume the depth of the counter bore? That would depend on your particular remington for an exact shoulder location, Im not sure what the remage prefits are cut to for wide accommodation. Could measure the remage barrel to see how it compares.

And I assume the .950 spec is the tenon length? Again, could measure the barrel to see how close it is.

Last edited:
Actually got the action today and went to toss on barrel.

In what I swear should have been a Friday the 13th issue, the barrel was not chambered correct. Bolt nose hits barrel prior to go gauge. So off to a local gun smith to attempt some magic. But, my old shot out barrel chambered fine.

Win some. Lose Some.

who did it for you originally??

Same company.

Had a rem 700 action with remage setup, ordered new barrel, and impact had their lefty sale. Stars aligned so want to run new barrel on new action.