• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Impact Action Barrel Toque Spec

HogsLife

War Machine Leather Works
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 28, 2018
    N. Idaho
    Hey yal. Got my pre-fit barrel in from Altus today and was wondering what you guys recommend torquing the barrel to?

Also, do you recommend checking everything with go/no-go gauges?

Appreciate the help guys.

I've changed out and swapped barrels probably 8-10 times between my 3 Impacts. IIRC they torque them to 70 ft pounds from Impact, but I torque mine to 50 Ft pounds and use anti seize (USE ANTI SEIZE!) to make them easier to break loose. All my barrels have come from Impact or Stuteville Precision (Wade makes the the Impact barrels). The tolerances are really tight on the actions, and every time I take one Dasher barrel off and put another one, the fire formed brass has the same measurements - never have to adjust shoulder bump on my dies. I've used bolts interchangeably between actions to with no issues as well FWIW. I've never used go/no gauge as well.

I've changed out and swapped barrels probably 8-10 times between my 3 Impacts. IIRC they torque them to 70 ft pounds from Impact, but I torque mine to 50 Ft pounds and use anti seize (USE ANTI SEIZE!) to make them easier to break loose. All my barrels have come from Impact or Stuteville Precision (Wade makes the the Impact barrels). The tolerances are really tight on the actions, and every time I take one Dasher barrel off and put another one, the fire formed brass has the same measurements - never have to adjust shoulder bump on my dies. I've used bolts interchangeably between actions to with no issues as well FWIW. I've never used go/no gauge as well.

Awesome. That’s what I wanted to hear. I appreciate the info. Looks like it’s time to get this gun together!

Reactions: superde
    i touqued mine to 40 ft lbs. and am having no problems. Use anti seize. My barrels have come from Core

Reactions: HogsLife
    Anything from 30-100 ft/lbs will do. We torque all our Impact barrels to 80 ft/lbs.

100% check your headspace. Smiths' are humans and we mess up occasionally.

Roger that. Got her all put together today. I ended up torquing it to 50 ft/lbs.

Looks like I need to get some go / no-go gauges. Thank you man.