• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Impact barrel removal help North Houston

Forrest84

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Cutt n Shoot, TX
Anybody in north Houston have a barrel vice that can remove my impact barrel for a case of beer lol. Everybody I’ve talked to today wants to charge me like $90 fucking dollars to do it because they are idiots.

Thanks

You can be independent with the addition of a torque wrench, action wrench and action vise.

If I still lived in Houston I would help you out, but I'm in AZ now.

Anybody in north Houston have a barrel vice that can remove my impact barrel for a case of beer lol. Everybody I’ve talked to today wants to charge me like $90 fucking dollars to do it because they are idiots.

Thanks
Drive to Alexandria.
Beer barter sounds good.
We will have that bitch off of there in 60 seconds.
I will be buzzed and have to pee before you leave the parking lot.

./

So far terry is the only one with a helpful answer. I’m not buying parts to work on an action 1 time. I just need somebody local to throw me a bone and hook me up with a few minutes of there time I know there are a hundred guys around Houston shooting impacts in PRS matches here.

Go to a gunsmith then.

Aaron Roberts of Roberts Precision Rifles is in North Houston (Spring, specifically), and he's a really good dude.

Reactions: domdoc
And then sell the stuff afterwards at a $ 10.00 or $ 20.00 loss.
That's cheaper than a case of beer and 10 gallons of gas these days.

I can't imagine that the OP is only going to change barrels on his Impact once.

Just having the autonomy to change a barrel out yourself is worth the cost. If you don't want that autonomy, then the next place to go is a gunsmith.

Reactions: Hillpuller
Why they hell would anyone own something like an impact that takes pre-fits and not have a wrench, vise and torque/breaker? You never going to change barrels or shoot them out?

Furthermore why should anyone just give you free work. Terry is a stand up dude and first class. I would charge you for an hour of shop time.

The entitlement that people should just bend over because you are too lazy/cheap to procure your own tools is laughable.

Who the fuck said free Jesus, I’m selling the action so therefore I don’t need to buy specialty tools, I’m just going to have my surgeons. I just don’t want a dipshit gunsmith around here, and there are a lot of them bend me over the barrel just to unscrew a fucking action. You can stick that lazy shit up your ass you don’t know me. Anyways thanks to everybody with reasonable responses I wasn’t asking for a hell of a lot. You sound like the kind of self righteous twat that would ass fuck a fellow shooter for 5 minutes of time

Who the fuck said free Jesus, I’m selling the action so therefore I don’t need to buy specialty tools, I’m just going to have my surgeons. I just don’t want a dipshit gunsmith around here, and there are a lot of them bend me over the barrel just to unscrew a fucking action. You can stick that lazy shit up your ass you don’t know me. Anyways thanks to everybody with reasonable responses I wasn’t asking for a hell of a lot. You sound like the kind of self righteous twat that would ass fuck a fellow shooter for 5 minutes of time
Do you actually shoot? If you did you would know a bunch of people who have impacts and would let you borrow or come over to crank it off.

Coming in here demanding free work and calling people idiots when you have failed to procure the tools to do the job does not rub people in a way they want to help you.

With that attitude, I would charge you $200 and smile knowing you have no other choice but deal with one of those "dipshit gunsmiths".

Yeah no disrespect to surgeons, if I recall Wade Stuteville worked at surgeon.
Thats correct.

There was a few things that lost Surgeon popularity points with our crowd. Their actions at one point were reserved for only their builds, and change of ownership diminished quality and QA/QC for a duration of time. Impact was able to fill that gap at the right time, part of the reason why they surged to such popularity.

My understanding is that Surgeon is now back to 100% quality they were once known for, and their actions are no less capable then they were in the past. Great actions. I wouldn't mind owning one day, they are just as capable and quality as any other top actions currently out there.

Lots of great actions to choose from these days, nice problem for us to have as shooters.

Reactions: nrspence
Impact is a product improved Surgeon. One of the guys who invented the action left and started Impact. Its a superior action with better features, although the origional surgeons were great and can actually take pre-fits, they were so well made.

Impact is a product improved Surgeon. One of the guys who invented the action left and started Impact. Its a superior action with better features, although the origional surgeons were great and can actually take pre-fits, they were so well made.
Superior is perhaps a matter of opinion. I know of a few people that prefer Surgeons over Impacts, including a gunsmith.

But that's not the point of the thread.

Superior is perhaps a matter of opinion. I know of a few people that prefer Surgeons over Impacts, including a gunsmith.

But that's not the point of the thread.
Well they are full of shit and are wrong. Like that clown who bags on Impact every chance he gets because they didn't give him the time of day. Keep making your 3 0 8's buddy. No one cares.

Its 100% fact that an Impact is an improved/updated Surgeon, which is a 10+ year old design.

Well they are full of shit and are wrong. Like that clown who bags on Impact every chance he gets because they didn't give him the time of day. Keep making your 3 0 8's buddy. No one cares.

Its 100% fact that an Impact is an improved/updated Surgeon, which is a 10+ year old design.
Impact is just another iteration/version of a Rem700, like most other push feeds out there.

Some people like the Impact more than other actions, other people have other preferences. The impact is nothing revolutionary, just another push feed action in a sea of push feeds, with its own nuances.

Last edited:
Do you actually shoot? If you did you would know a bunch of people who have impacts and would let you borrow or come over to crank it off.

Coming in here demanding free work and calling people idiots when you have failed to procure the tools to do the job does not rub people in a way they want to help you.

With that attitude, I would charge you $200 and smile knowing you have no other choice but deal with one of those "dipshit gunsmiths".
Your reading comprehension is shit, I never demanded free work so I don’t why you keep referencing that. I’ve shot PRS since it was founded and I have a training area in my back yard for PRS with barricades and an area for USPSA practice. I havnt done but a few matches the past 2 years because of work and lack of free time.and lack of reloading components, now I don’t have that problem so I’m moving some stuff around.
You came in here running your mouth when all I said was I needed to take a barrel off and didn’t want to get raped for 5 minutes of work for $90 which I still think was a totally reasonable thing to ask about. So how about YOU back up and stop being a Cunt.

I actually had work done by Aaron Robert’s years ago and forgot about that so I’m stopping by there to do it for $25 bucks and it’s already turning into me giving him more work. Than unscrewing a barrel now lol.

I’ve been on here since 2008 and the people that act like complete un self aware cunts on here for no reason still never ceases to amaze me

But as far as impacts/surgeons go the impact always struck me as what the surgeon would have become if they had kept innovating but I’m actually going to keep it now and use it for another project anyways. I think I’ll putt a 6.5 lapua on it and go have fun since I have everything for it already.

Reactions: kthomas

I actually shoot and don't know anyone personally that has one. Only seen one in the wild, played with it and I don't see what the fuss is all about.

If you don't have an action wrench for you Surgeons already, a rear entry Impact wrench will work on a Surgeon.
At least then you can use it multiple times if you ever decide to swap barrels on Surgeon actions.

I have an Impact wrench and vice in College Station if you want to make the drive up hwy6
Damn I’m building a new clinic for scott&White in a couple months and I’ll be up there on the daily actually. Thanks for the offer though a local guy messaged me that is on my way home today so we’ll see if it works out.

Reactions: kthomas
Your reading comprehension is shit, I never demanded free work so I don’t why you keep referencing that. I’ve shot PRS since it was founded and I have a training area in my back yard for PRS with barricades and an area for USPSA practice. I havnt done but a few matches the past 2 years because of work and lack of free time.and lack of reloading components, now I don’t have that problem so I’m moving some stuff around.
You came in here running your mouth when all I said was I needed to take a barrel off and didn’t want to get raped for 5 minutes of work for $90 which I still think was a totally reasonable thing to ask about. So how about YOU back up and stop being a Cunt.

I actually had work done by Aaron Robert’s years ago and forgot about that so I’m stopping by there to do it for $25 bucks and it’s already turning into me giving him more work. Than unscrewing a barrel now lol.

I’ve been on here since 2008 and the people that act like complete un self aware cunts on here for no reason still never ceases to amaze me
Dude, they are just trolling you. No need to feed them. You got the answer you needed so relax and have a solid Thursday 😎

This here is a serious man. Seriously 😎 that is lol
Have wheels will travel! Don’t mind helping someone out. I like buying tools and shit but sometimes it’s retarded to spend money on something you might only use 1-2 times that only takes 20 seconds to accomplish.

Reactions: carbonbased
Have wheels will travel! Don’t mind helping someone out. I like buying tools and shit but sometimes it’s retarded to spend money on something you might only use 1-2 times that only takes 20 seconds to accomplish.
I see it now…like a religious vision…a truck with a huge “MOBILE BARREL-VISE MAN! CALL 1-BAR-REL-VISE 4 UR RIFLE NEEDS” sign splashed across the sides…gonna be rich so be prepared for the million$ and pre-purchase that vaca house now to lock in the savings!

But seriously, cool idea to have it on the hitch and to offer help.

Drive to Alexandria.
Beer barter sounds good.
We will have that bitch off of there in 60 seconds.
I will be buzzed and have to pee before you leave the parking lot.

./
There’s a great friend! Terry, you are one of the best to come around and help someone in need!

God bless you brother!

Cole

Reactions: carbonbased