• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Impact Dasher Questions

CShooter92

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
I'm getting a 6 Dasher spun up on an Impact action for this season. This is my first foray into the BR cases. I know an impact can be ordered with the standard AICS cut or an AW cut. I'm just wondering what the best combo is for mags, Dasher and an Impact?

Will 6 Dasher feed well out of AW mags in a 2 lug action? Should I stick to a standard AICS cut and MDT BR mags? Are there any issues with running MDT BR mags in an AW cut?

The MDT mags didn’t work well for me with Impact / Dasher / Foundation. I just run the standard AICS mags without any BR kit and a standard mag cut, as do many top shooters.

I have had very good luck with the 12 round mdt br mags in both impacts I use. Before them I had no problems with the standard aics mags with the primal rights kit. I also tried the ARC mags and had maybe 98% success but I only use the 12rd mdt's since they have worked flawlessly so far.

I have been running our 6BR magazines with my 2 lug/AW cut Defiance for over a year now and I have not had any issues! Before release, we had a few users test them in Impacts and there were no anomalies in our testing there.

@lte82 would you mind explaining what you saw issue-wise with this combination, because maybe it's something we can fix?

Josh

My AW mags with PVA spacers and the ones with HRD kits were doing the same in my AI. Stretch each individual section of the spring until you get to work. It will fix it.

I just tried out the MDT mag I ordered from BF. Took two months to get. It doesn't feed for shit. Nose dives with less than 6rds in the mag. I'm going to try to stretch the spring and open up the front of the feed lips but not real impressed so far.
That’s mildly disappointing, I was hoping with that long of a delay they’d have the nose dive issue resolved. Hopefully I get lucky with mine and they feed properly with out tweaking.

MDT magazines work very poorly, and will give you trouble at some point. Deviate from this advice at your peril. Standard mag cut and AICS magazines only.
Thanks, are you just running standard AICS mags or do you have a different follower in them?

I bought 3 MDT mags from the BF sale. I haven't had a chance to use those ones yet. The one I bought for my wife's 6BRA LP Fuzion has worked pretty well so far. No nose diving issues.

I'm hoping my MDT mags work well as well.

Yeah, that's not how those mags are supposed to work ? Seeing as the rear of your rounds are sitting low in the magazine and you're getting bolt overrides, it would appear that either: a.) the bottom leg of the spring is sliding too far forward in the magazine body and not providing adequate spring pressure at the rear, or b.) the follower/spring relationship is off and the top leg of the spring needs to be shifted rearward on the follower. Your best bet if you're having issues with any of our products is to let us know immediately and we'll be happy to help out! Shoot us a message through the support portal on our website!

I just tried out the MDT mag I ordered from BF. Took two months to get. It doesn't feed for shit. Nose dives with less than 6rds in the mag. I'm going to try to stretch the spring and open up the front of the feed lips but not real impressed so far.

Again, sorry to hear that you're having issues and we did run into some production issues with the 6BR magazines around Christmas time. If you're having nose dive issues, it could be action/caliber related, but a feedlip modification should be all you need to get that running :)
As I said above, feel free to let our support team know and we'll help diagnose the issues!

MDT magazines work very poorly, and will give you trouble at some point. Deviate from this advice at your peril. Standard mag cut and AICS magazines only.

That is an interesting observation and I am sorry to hear that you do not like our magazines. We have a lot of happy customer and many of our magazines out there performing well, so if there is anything anything I can do to help change your mind, be sure to let me know (y)

Josh

Who cares? If you’re going to throw out the MDT sux, use AICS or else. Take a minute to say why.

You mean expand upon "they don't work"? Ok - it's almost impossible to get 12 rounds in a 12 round magazine, nosedives are frequent in the heavily-recoiling 6BRA, and they frequently jam. Other than that, they've been great!

If there were QC issues, I don't really care. I bought 2 and neither worked well, so my patience has reached its end. I have no dog in the fight other than to state my experience. As I said, deviate at your peril.

Reactions: Hegre
Add me to the list of those that have had issues with the MDT 12-rounders.

Honestly I’ve had the best luck with ARC, AICS w/ PR kits, and MDT poly mags - in that order.

Reactions: b6graham
Okay, so there are more issues where there shouldn't be and I stand by my earlier statement: if you ever have an issue with ANY of our products, feel free to PM me or @MDT_OFFICIAL, or get in contact with us directly: through the support portal or by calling 1-604-393-0800.

This thread and others have started us looking more into some of the issues you all are seeing and we're committed to making our products better :) I am sorry for the issues that some of you guys have run into, but we're here to help when you need it.

Josh

Yeah, that's not how those mags are supposed to work ? Seeing as the rear of your rounds are sitting low in the magazine and you're getting bolt overrides, it would appear that either: a.) the bottom leg of the spring is sliding too far forward in the magazine body and not providing adequate spring pressure at the rear, or b.) the follower/spring relationship is off and the top leg of the spring needs to be shifted rearward on the follower. Your best bet if you're having issues with any of our products is to let us know immediately and we'll be happy to help out! Shoot us a message through the support portal on our website!

Again, sorry to hear that you're having issues and we did run into some production issues with the 6BR magazines around Christmas time. If you're having nose dive issues, it could be action/caliber related, but a feedlip modification should be all you need to get that running :)
As I said above, feel free to let our support team know and we'll help diagnose the issues!

That is an interesting observation and I am sorry to hear that you do not like our magazines. We have a lot of happy customer and many of our magazines out there performing well, so if there is anything anything I can do to help change your mind, be sure to let me know (y)

Josh

josh this isn’t the first time Dan and I bring this up as an issue. That is typically your same answer. I actually went as far as using an primal rights kit on your mag and they work great after some mods.

Who cares? If you’re going to throw out the MDT sux, use AICS or else. Take a minute to say why.

My take is that skuworx has no clue who Dan is.

Yet at the same time it’s several posts on this issue alone And Dan has chimed in on those as well. Josh has heard these complaints before nothing new

Regardless, the problem I’ve found to be the spring. Some come bent causing uneven travel when there is about 5 rounds in the mag. So it feeds ok first few rounds and then once the jam is addressed it feeds the last 4 pretty good on a 12 round mag.

I’ve fixed this by evenly stretching each bend so the mag spring squishes up and down without horizontal movement inside the mag.

it’s a pain in the ass, but once it’s done it works fine.

My opinion it’s a spring QC issue hence some work fine and other suck.

I could not return mine so I spent hours tinkering until I fixed them.

this is also an issue with AW mags the same principle applies.

I'm getting a 6 Dasher spun up on an Impact action for this season. This is my first foray into the BR cases. I know an impact can be ordered with the standard AICS cut or an AW cut. I'm just wondering what the best combo is for mags, Dasher and an Impact?

Will 6 Dasher feed well out of AW mags in a 2 lug action? Should I stick to a standard AICS cut and MDT BR mags? Are there any issues with running MDT BR mags in an AW cut?

Don’t use an aw cut impact. It will take you a ton of time getting it to feed right.

Yet at the same time it’s several posts on this issue alone And Dan has chimed in on those as well. Josh has heard these complaints before nothing new

Regardless, the problem I’ve found to be the spring. Some come bent causing uneven travel when there is about 5 rounds in the mag. So it feeds ok first few rounds and then once the jam is addressed it feeds the last 4 pretty good on a 12 round mag.

I’ve fixed this by evenly stretching each bend so the mag spring squishes up and down without horizontal movement inside the mag.

Thank you for the feedback, we will pass this information on.

Thanks for the insight and the reason that we typically direct people to the support portal is that they are typically unwilling to share details, pictures or videos on what is going wrong on forums, but will email it to us :) Having your above response, detailing what issue you found and how you fixed it is all we're really looking for. At the end of the day, we want to work with you and make the magazine work for your action and caliber choices, so a little feedback goes a long way.

The other problem with these magazines specifically is that we have three, separate issues going on here and they are not easily repeatable:
  1. the rounds nosedive in the magazine and jam
  2. the rounds sit too low and the bolt overrides the case rim
  3. the first 3-5 rounds feed okay, then there is one of the above issues, then they feed okay again
If we're able to correlate which actions and calibers are giving us issues, then we can set to work on this side to redesign the spring, follower or magazine body, but without feedback, we're stuck. So thank you for your above feedback and we'll start work on fixing the issues the best we can :D

Josh

Reactions: eldritch
Thanks for the insight and the reason that we typically direct people to the support portal is that they are typically unwilling to share details, pictures or videos on what is going wrong on forums, but will email it to us :) Having your above response, detailing what issue you found and how you fixed it is all we're really looking for. At the end of the day, we want to work with you and make the magazine work for your action and caliber choices, so a little feedback goes a long way.

The other problem with these magazines specifically is that we have three, separate issues going on here and they are not easily repeatable:
  1. the rounds nosedive in the magazine and jam
  2. the rounds sit too low and the bolt overrides the case rim
  3. the first 3-5 rounds feed okay, then there is one of the above issues, then they feed okay again
If we're able to correlate which actions and calibers are giving us issues, then we can set to work on this side to redesign the spring, follower or magazine body, but without feedback, we're stuck. So thank you for your above feedback and we'll start work on fixing the issues the best we can :D

Josh

In MDT's defense, the 3 problems that you mentioned are not unique to MDT mags. i had the exact 3 problems with my AW mags with either the factory follower and the HRD Kit. Same exact problems. Because of that, i believe they have the same remedies. Play with the spring's each individual sections, bend and stretching with the end goal to get the follower parallel with the bottom of the magazine. Thats what fixed my mags and ended the nose dive and the bolt over ride.

In MDT's defense, the 3 problems that you mentioned are not unique to MDT mags. i had the exact 3 problems with my AW mags with either the factory follower and the HRD Kit. Same exact problems. Because of that, i believe they have the same remedies. Play with the spring's each individual sections, bend and stretching with the end goal to get the follower parallel with the bottom of the magazine. Thats what fixed my mags and ended the nose dive and the bolt over ride.

I agree to some extent. This problem is basically non-existent when you purchase an AI AICS and use a Primal Rights kit...out of the box. I’ve compared the springs on both and the MDT spring cross section is thinner and less rigid.

The same with the HRD kits, had no issues with them until I ran into your post and shared my fix with you.

The MDT feed issue has been consistent with many posts on FB and here. I’ve spoken to MDT support at first with little to no help, so just tinkered with it until I solved the issue and shared with you.

That said, I own MDT chassis’s and several of their accessories. They make good stuff and customer service is more often than not outstanding.

Thanks for adding clarity on the fact it’s an issue across the board.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
On a serious note though, if not set up already to run BR cases, I’d get an AW cut impact and run aw mags with 6gt.

As with most rifles running aw, you’ll probably have to mess with the mag catch. After that, smooth sailing.

The only negative of the AW cut is AICS mags tend to bind some on the bolt if you jam it into a bag or barricade, and that is currently the only way to get 12-14 rounds in the mag. That’s one reason I still like the 47, zero mag feeding issues. But I also have 10 & 10+4 round AICS mag that work with the dasher as well, no mag kits needed, it just took a bit of tweaking on the front of the feed lips to get them 100%.