• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Impact Precision Action Barreled into MPA: DIY?

Acer76

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2018
Cincinnati
I would be absolutely thrilled if I understand this correctly... Am I right about this? And if so, please enlighten me any hidden potentially dangerous or hyper critical steps.

True?
I can purchase an Impact Precision 737r 308bf action and an Impact by Stutteville Chambered Barrel (24” 6.5 Creedmoor Bartlein 1:8 in this case) , thread the barrel into the action myself, then install the barreled action onto an MPA Chassis myself, thus producing a turnkey DIY build.

Outside the obvious assembly steps, what potential pitfalls do I face?

Could I not remove the chassis and rebarrel the action at will?

As always, your collective expertise is extremely helpful and well appreciated.

I would be absolutely thrilled if I understand this correctly... Am I right about this? And if so, please enlighten me any hidden potentially dangerous or hyper critical steps.

True?
I can purchase an Impact Precision 737r 308bf action and an Impact by Stutteville Chambered Barrel (24” 6.5 Creedmoor Bartlein 1:8 in this case) , thread the barrel into the action myself, then install the barreled action onto an MPA Chassis myself, thus producing a turnkey DIY build.

Outside the obvious assembly steps, what potential pitfalls do I face?

Could I not remove the chassis and rebarrel the action at will?

As always, your collective expertise is extremely helpful and well appreciated.

Correct exactly what I do but with a foundation stock. Not all stocks or chassis will fit the trigger hanger without inletting work; however, the mpa competition chassis, foundation stock, JAE 700 newer versions, xlr chassis for the Kelbly inlet all do work without any modification.

Yes sir you are absolutely correct about that. Impact keeps popular calibers in stock and one can be ordered and shipped to your door. There are also quite a few other top notch smiths that will chamber a barrel for you without ever having to see your action. It’s simply a matter of spinning off the barrel and spinning the new one on To correct torque and your ready to rock and roll. There is also the option of getting a mag bolt face and 223 bolt face and using one receiver for any caliber from .223 to 300 WSM. The switch barrel/lug is a fad that is not necessarily that big of a deal if you have a simple barrel vise and action wrench. Impact will be adding their own action wrenches to the website in the near future. I have my vise mounted to a small stand and could easily change a barrel at the range if I wanted. If you have any further questions don’t hesitate to ask.

Vinny

I have a barrel for my Impact being done at PVA right now. Great customer service and great guys to work with. I’m getting an 18” 6.5 Creedmoor cerakoted and a Jet Blast comp.

Reactions: jkvinyard
Any opinions re: Impact by Stuteville barrels vs PVA barrels?

Considering a cut rifled barrel to my spec would be $225 less and button rifled to my spec would be $350 less, why wouldn’t I go with the PVA?

Any opinions re: Impact by Stuteville barrels vs PVA barrels?

Considering a cut rifled barrel to my spec would be $225 less and button rifled to my spec would be $350 less, why wouldn’t I go with the PVA?

Yeah man, in fact tate can torque down the barrel to the action for you. otherwise you need a barrel vise.
MPA fits the impact fine with no modifications even with the bolt stop and trigger hanger which don't always fit in to other stocks/ chassis.

But to answer your question,
I have owned BA from them both, and they both shoot great, BUT you might want to read one the current state of affairs of both companies... I had the opportunity to wait 7 months on a PVA barrel quoted at 6 weeks, but I got an impact BA from tate/ wade in 3 days. Having stock on the shelves is worth a whole lot in my opinion.

Just curious Acer- how did you find the impact action as your first action? I think one of your best options, but it seems like a hidden secrete still.

Yeah man, in fact tate can torque down the barrel to the action for you. otherwise you need a barrel vise.
MPA fits the impact fine with no modifications even with the bolt stop and trigger hanger which don't always fit in to other stocks/ chassis.

But to answer your question,
I have owned BA from them both, and they both shoot great, BUT you might want to read one the current state of affairs of both companies... I had the opportunity to wait 7 months on a PVA barrel quoted at 6 weeks, but I got an impact BA from tate/ wade in 3 days. Having stock on the shelves is worth a whole lot in my opinion.

Just curious Acer- how did you find the impact action as your first action? I think one of your best options, but it seems like a hidden secrete still.
I landed on Impact based on scores of hours of research. Some versatility in my first custom action is important to me.

Also had some positive interactions gathering info with Tate via email. Product support is a big deal to me and is often reflective of product quality.

Ability and options to change configuration independently of gunsmiths is also important.

My vision is to work with the 6.5 Creedmoor for a barrel life cycle and make a switch down to a 6mm (something, maybe Dasher, BR, Creedmoor). I have interest in the PRC, SAUM, WSM.

Impact also affords me all the options I want and I can build a configuration that will satisfy my needs and make me happy for $2.8-3.6k and be able to switch barrels and (certain limited) calibers for under $1k per.

If I had the years of experience and really knew which caliber I wanted to hammer with, I would contact Travis Redell.

Having said all that, I have not put down any funds on purpose, I’m still gathering data. And I may be able to get behind something within my parameters soon, which might change everything.

There’s a voice in my head telling me to wait another 6-8 weeks and jump into AIAT. And I can’t keep myself from looking at the DTA Covert over and over again!

I’m thirsty for more feedback so fire away!

Reactions: Ripdog28
I landed on Impact based on scores of hours of research. Some versatility in my first custom action is important to me.

Also had some positive interactions gathering info with Tate via email. Product support is a big deal to me and is often reflective of product quality.

Ability and options to change configuration independently of gunsmiths is also important.

My vision is to work with the 6.5 Creedmoor for a barrel life cycle and make a switch down to a 6mm (something, maybe Dasher, BR, Creedmoor). I have interest in the PRC, SAUM, WSM.

Impact also affords me all the options I want and I can build a configuration that will satisfy my needs and make me happy for $2.8-3.6k and be able to switch barrels and (certain limited) calibers for under $1k per.

If I had the years of experience and really knew which caliber I wanted to hammer with, I would contact Travis Redell.

Having said all that, I have not put down any funds on purpose, I’m still gathering data. And I may be able to get behind something within my parameters soon, which might change everything.

There’s a voice in my head telling me to wait another 6-8 weeks and jump into AIAT. And I can’t keep myself from looking at the DTA Covert over and over again!

I’m thirsty for more feedback so fire away!

I think you are on track with the Impact, stay the course. Both those other rifles are phenomenal but come configured, with the Impact its all custom tailored to what you want and works best for your needs(caliber, barrel profile, stock, trigger,etc) plus you get to support a great American company!! Happy 4th all.

I'm in the same boat as Acer76 was a few years ago. Looking to make sure I get the little things right to ensure I don't mess this up. First time assembling a rifle from purchased pieces.

Do I need to time it with a go, no-go gauge?
How much torque do I need on the barrel to the action?
Do I need to apply anything to the thread (between the barrel and action)?

I have:
737r action
MPA BA chassis
Triggertech Diamond
Proof barrel

I'm in the same boat as Acer76 was a few years ago. Looking to make sure I get the little things right to ensure I don't mess this up. First time assembling a rifle from purchased pieces.

Do I need to time it with a go, no-go gauge?
How much torque do I need on the barrel to the action?
Do I need to apply anything to the thread (between the barrel and action)?

I have:
737r action
MPA BA chassis
Triggertech Diamond
Proof barrel

I chose an Impact with an MPA and TT Diamond for my first precision rifle, and it was beyond easy to set up. Torqued my barrel on twice at 50 ft/lbs, with a final turn to 72 ft/lbs, and used anti-seize on the threads. Used an Impact wrench and a Viper barrel vise clamped to my bench. I also confirm with go/no go gauges, and they’re spot on every time.

I’ve now switched out 5 barrels and works perfect every time, and consistent sub-0.3MOA groups for Bartlein and Proof barrels across multiple calibers.