• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Impact Precision Action?

SuperSneakySniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
Hey guys,

Just curious if anyone has ever had experience with the Impact Precision action. I think it's called the 737R or something like that. Supposed to be pretty dang good. I saw it at SHOT 2016, but wasn't in the market for an action so I didn't do much other than look and feel it. I believe it was also still being tweaked at the time so I don't know if what I felt was what they're selling right now. They told me at the booth that the machine tolerances on this thing were really good, so pre-fit shouldered barrels are purchasable and installable off-the-shelf. I checked their website and they do indeed offer them.

So anyone ever tried one? Seems like a cool action. From what I can gather though, everything else seems pretty standard. It has a standard 90 degree throw, 700 footprint, plunger ejector and m16-ish extractor. In all honesty it looks like a Defiance Deviant with a ball knob and a slightly different ejection port.
Anyone know what makes this one special?

new action , hard to get, could be a great one and prob is with the people involved in its development, but if you have to wait a year why waste the time.

I'd call Stuteville Precision and talk to Wade about it. It's a pretty neat setup and allows you to have a setup that can run different cartridges like the 308 or 223 family.

I've been running a Stuteville 6 Dasher in PRS this year that was made as a complete gun, but I wanted some things changed on it. Wade just pulled some stuff off the shelf and got me exactly what I wanted in about a week.

If you want to run one of these, call the guys and chat about it. They'll give you a good idea how quickly you'll be able to get it. My backup gun is going to have one on it and I'll certainly give some feedback when I order the gun!

According to the Precision Rifle Blog, it's the third most popular action among the top 100 in the PRS. It's gotta be doing something right!

There is a ton of custom actions available, I have owned BAT-Tac, Defiance, Mausingfield and trued Tikka T3. Reliable feeding and smooth (non binding) cycling are my main criteria for a great action. Sounds like an implied task but have ran $1,300+ actions that could not accomplish these very basic tasks. I am currently looking to get parts together for a PRS type rifle but the task of sifting through all these different actions is tough. Will continue to do some research on this 737R, very interested to get some no BS feedback from guys that are running them hard.

There is a ton of custom actions available, I have owned BAT-Tac, Defiance, Mausingfield and trued Tikka T3. Reliable feeding and smooth (non binding) cycling are my main criteria for a great action. Sounds like an implied task but have ran $1,300+ actions that could not accomplish these very basic tasks. I am currently looking to get parts together for a PRS type rifle but the task of sifting through all these different actions is tough. Will continue to do some research on this 737R, very interested to get some no BS feedback from guys that are running them hard.

I'm interested as well, and am very picky about the same criteria you explained above ^. I'm actually going to try out a TL3 for those reasons, but the Impact Precision may also be in contention if I can even find someone who's used one lol. They seem to be pretty rare out there.

I'd call Stuteville Precision and talk to Wade about it. It's a pretty neat setup and allows you to have a setup that can run different cartridges like the 308 or 223 family.

I've been running a Stuteville 6 Dasher in PRS this year that was made as a complete gun, but I wanted some things changed on it. Wade just pulled some stuff off the shelf and got me exactly what I wanted in about a week.

If you want to run one of these, call the guys and chat about it. They'll give you a good idea how quickly you'll be able to get it. My backup gun is going to have one on it and I'll certainly give some feedback when I order the gun!

Awesome! I'd love to hear about how it does! I'll give them a call, I have questions regarding the bolt sizes and such. Thanks!

Hey guys,

Just curious if anyone has ever had experience with the Impact Precision action. I think it's called the 737R or something like that. Supposed to be pretty dang good. I saw it at SHOT 2016, but wasn't in the market for an action so I didn't do much other than look and feel it. I believe it was also still being tweaked at the time so I don't know if what I felt was what they're selling right now. They told me at the booth that the machine tolerances on this thing were really good, so pre-fit shouldered barrels are purchasable and installable off-the-shelf. I checked their website and they do indeed offer them.

So anyone ever tried one? Seems like a cool action. From what I can gather though, everything else seems pretty standard. It has a standard 90 degree throw, 700 footprint, plunger ejector and m16-ish extractor. In all honesty it looks like a Defiance Deviant with a ball knob and a slightly different ejection port.
Anyone know what makes this one special?

I bought one and I love it. What makes it special is the barrel goes on just as it is designed to do with out the need for any real gun smithing. I torqued it down, put in the gauges and everything checked out. Chambered in 65x47 from Stuteville this thing shoots very accurate, like same hole at 500 yards accurate. They said it would take up to 4 months after I made my deposit. It was done in 5 weeks. Stuteville keeps them in stock reguarly and same with the barrels. When I bought mine only 2% of the top shooters where using them. Only a year later and 30% are using them. The sudden increase in popularity could testify to its greatness.

Attachments

• photo72912.jpg
    photo72912.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
Reactions: seekinshooter
I bought one and I love it. What makes it special is the barrel goes on just as it is designed to do with out the need for any real gun smithing. I torqued it down, put in the gauges and everything checked out. Chambered in 65x47 from Stuteville this thing shoots very accurate, like same hole at 500 yards accurate. They said it would take up to 4 months after I made my deposit. It was done in 5 weeks. Stuteville keeps them in stock reguarly and same with the barrels. When I bought mine only 2% of the top shooters where using them. Only a year later and 30% are using them. The sudden increase in popularity could testify to its greatness.

People often confuse "what the pros use" with what is actually the best. It usually just shows which brands sponsor the most shooters.

I don't own 1 but it's on my short list for my next rifle. The actions are really nice and man are they slick and having the ability to just order a barrel is really nice

I would 100% suggest waiting a year for an Impact 737. I do not own one, but I got to play with 2 of the prototypes and they were awesome. I’ve also played with the production model a good bit and plan to own one as soon as possible.

One of the guys behind this action also helped design the Surgeon 591 action and is one of the most notable and well respected smiths in the country. The people behind this action are awesome.

The action is slicker than shit, runs in every condition you can think of, feeds great (even with 6br and it’s variants), improved extraction over a 591. You will see more and more of these action as the year goes on. You will see them at just about every PRS match you go to. When it comes to classics, an Impact 737 and a Foundation stock are about as good as it gets with the typical 2 lug and A-5 type setups.

I do not think comparing a TL3 to an Impact is a good comparison. Every TL 2 or 3 action I’ve ran was not even close to as smooth as a Surgeon which is not as smooth as an Impact so let me rephrase that. TL3’s have felt like remington 700’s compared to Impact 737’s.

As far as I know Impact doesn’t sponsor many shooters at all. I can think of maybe a handful. The top guys in PRS are going to use what works, period. Being as it’s an Oklahoma company you’ll find that most of the users of the 737’s are Oklahoma’ns. If you want to know more about it from users of the action that have been running it hard, I’d suggest going to the Oklahoma Facebook page (Oklahoma Practicals Precision Shooters) and asking there.

Last edited:
I would 100% suggest waiting a year for an Impact 737. I do not own one, but I got to play with 2 of the prototypes and they were awesome. I’ve also played with the production model a good bit and plan to own one as soon as possible.

One of the guys behind this action also helped design the Surgeon 591 action and is one of the most notable and well respected smiths in the country. The people behind this action are awesome.

The action is slicker than shit, runs in every condition you can think of, feeds great (even with 6br and it’s variants), improved extraction over a 591. You will see more and more of these action as the year goes on. You will see them at just about every PRS match you go to. When it comes to classics, an Impact 737 and a Foundation stock are about as good as it gets with the typical 2 lug and A-5 type setups.

Why would a guy have to wait a year for a 737? Seem to be plenty out in the wild...

Anyone ever compare these to a Lone Peak action? Light/smooth bolt lifts interest me. That's something I really like about the TL3

Why would a guy have to wait a year for a 737? Seem to be plenty out in the wild...

You definitely won’t wait a year. I was just quoting someone further up in this thread and saying I would happily wait a year for an impact.

Anyone ever compare these to a Lone Peak action? Light/smooth bolt lifts interest me. That's something I really like about the TL3

I've played with both (didn't run in a match).. keep in mind, my time was very limited with both, but I think the L.P. is a touch better. Both are very good. Both were Niterided.

Give Travis a call at TS Customs and pick his brain.. he runs one of each in comps.

I've played with both (didn't run in a match).. keep in mind, my time was very limited with both, but I think the L.P. is a touch better. Both are very good. Both were Niterided.

Give Travis a call at TS Customs and pick his brain.. he runs one of each in comps.

Sweet! Thanks for the info, I'll give him a call. I'm pretty dang interested in both of those actions but I keep going back and forth and I never actually get anywhere with the build lol.
As for being able to purchase barrels for the Impact Action off the shelf, looks like all they have is M24 contour, I kinda prefer lighter.

How'd you like the Mausingfield and T3? I don't have enough $$ for Mausingfield but its certainly a dream action for me... when I get around to doing a match rifle though I'm planning on building off a Tikka... so just wanted to ask your thoughts

This is a beautiful rifle I won built on an Impact action. Haven't shot it yet. 6mm Creedmoor.

t8n2pl.jpg

90yrms.jpg

How do you like the stock? Can you feel the button or separation in the palm grip when behind the gun? How does the Impact compare to other actions you've felt?

Reactions: zewbank
I ran a Defiance action before my Impact became available. I ran an Impact the last part of the year and I can say without a doubt it’s the best action I’ve ever run. They are super smooth, never fail to feed or extract, even with the Dasher and 6BR I’ve been running.

No no one pays me a dime to run their gear. I run whatever works best and is most reliable and consistent.

The stock is lighter because it is CF. The button I can't recall anything funky. The action is great, much like the Surgeon's I am more accustomed to and I would pick both before Defiance. Just personal preference as they are all top tier. If I got away from Surgeon actions Impact would be my next choice.

I’ve decided want to go with Impact. But I’m forcing myself to hold off for 30days while I gather more info. That was about a week ago and I’m still gung-ho...

I want to DIY barrel changes, maybe twice a year. Not trying to tinker with different calibers, switching back and forth. I want to get into a 6.5 and develop it to fit my needs and work with it til barrel is burnt. I know I would be set with AIAT. But I’m looking at a full Impact build on MPA or KRG for $1.2-1.5k less

I’m trying to be <$4k rifle only.

I’m hoping to get some more opinions from some guys who’ve been running these. Anyone got updates?

I'll have mine tomorrow, a friend who has had more than a few nice rifles has one and loves it, planning on getting more.

Let me know how she runs! Range report would be MUCH appreciated.

Which barrel did you choose?

I actually bought a complete rifle I found in the marketplace. I was going to buy the action and build it but found what I was going to build for much less. And no waiting for a barrel to be spun up either. :) It has a hawk hill barrel, can't go wrong with that, I've used bartlien and proof in the past, both were good too.

Reactions: Acer76
I had a poor experience with mine. It was resolved to my satisfaction but I won't be taking another chance on one.

I had a poor experience with mine. It was resolved to my satisfaction but I won't be taking another chance on one.

I feel like this statement is completely useless without any details. Either keep it to yourself or at least provide the details so that other readers can gain something from it. That's like those 1 star amazon reviews with no text lol.

I feel like this statement is completely useless without any details. Either keep it to yourself or at least provide the details so that other readers can gain something from it. That's like those 1 star amazon reviews with no text lol.

Fair enough. Buy one and run it for yourself. I’m not alone with my experience , and your response is the reason many shy away from being honest about products here. Many are having great success with it. No product is perfect are bad ones are released into the wild from time to time. I considered giving it another chance and changed my mind and went with an action I’ve had good success with.

Fair enough. Buy one and run it for yourself. I’m not alone with my experience , and your response is the reason many shy away from being honest about products here. Many are having great success with it. No product is perfect are bad ones are released into the wild from time to time. I considered giving it another chance and changed my mind and went with an action I’ve had good success with.

Would you mind sharing your experience or PM if your prefer. What action did you end up going back to?

Im curious too. I want as much info as possible, and if experiences from others, be it good or bad, helps others make better informed decisions, then im all for it. Lay it on us :D

Im mostly concerned about bolt bind, bolt lift, smoothness, the usual stuff i guess.

Reactions: Patriots1884
My thought is you could really help the community and maybe even the manufacturer (in the sense they understand their end-user accountability) by sharing your experience. Others may be encouraged to share similar experiences. Hell, you could potentially inspire a recall in some cases.

People should say what happens in their journeys for the benefit of others who share similar interests. Feedback is an extremely useful tool for progress!

We spend a lot of money. And a lot of companies want to be the best. If we work together we can drive the market and increase development.

Why be a part of a community based on sharing if you refuse to share?

How is my response the reason many shy away from being honest about products. I am encouraging you to be honest about the product so that others can gain insight from your experience.

You didn’t state problem that you had with the Impact action or the brand of action that you decided to go with with which you had better success with and why. Understand that nobody is attacking you or trying to be rude but just understand what problems you are trying to tell us you had. Hope to hear some details.

Swage works for surgeon?

But in all seriousness, it's a great action.

I tell folks it is like a defiance and surgeon had a baby plus magic smooth gliding rails to keep it from binding.

Tates' claim to fame is how it just runs, its not flashy, but it runs no matter what. And I would definitely echo that sentiment. I wouldn't use the word refined, but it is incredibly durable and functional. Kind of analogous to running a good ole f150 vs. a sports car with some of the other actions.

pros:
Smooth
runs in any conditions.
Does not bind once you work it in
feeds and ejects perfect
trigger hanger lets you time whatever trigger
feels beefy

cons:
I think it requires a bit of love to get it running nicely to what most people want. My bolt lift was fairly stiff before I broke it in and smoothed up the cocking recess. When I first got it, it would pause/hang up as you attempted to close the bolt, but that recess just needed a bit of polishing to run smoothly through the bolt stroke.
Only available in black
needs more bolt knob choices
that okie sure is proud of that shit - you're going to pay for it.

Reactions: seekinshooter
Had my current rifle go down at a match earlier this year. Didn't finish but stuck around. Guy in our squad let me play with his a little bit. I was hooked. Ordered a lefty the next week. And here's the best part...it's about a 6 week turnaround from order to me having it (week or 2 to go) which will give me a new toy while waiting on the Nucleus orders to get filled.

I would also look at the Lone Peak actions. People that I know who have handled both (namely, gunsmiths) are more impressed with the Lone Peak.

Played with a Lone Peak at the Quiet Riot match this year, and I was quite impressed. Even with all the dust that the action ate that weekend (it was a dusty, windy bitch out there the first day), it still felt like a new action. Can't wait for the wife to get hers. I was debating between the Lone Peak and the Impact for her, and went with the Lone Peak.

Last edited:
Swage works for surgeon?

I tell folks it is like a defiance and surgeon had a baby plus magic smooth gliding rails to keep it from binding.

Tates' claim to fame is how it just runs, its not flashy, but it runs no matter what. And I would definitely echo that sentiment. I wouldn't use the word refined, but it is incredibly durable and functional. Kind of analogous to running a good ole f150 vs. a sports car with some of the other actions.

pros:
Smooth
runs in any conditions.
feeds and ejects perfect
feels beefy

cons:
I think it requires a bit of love to get it running nicely to what most people want. My bolt lift was fairly stiff before I broke it in and smoothed up the cocking recess. When I first got it, it would pause/hang up as you attempted to close the bolt, but that recess just needed a bit of polishing to run smoothly through the bolt stroke.
Only available in black

To break it in, did you just cycle it a bunch of times? How long was the process?

I would also look at the Lone Peak actions. People that I know who have handled both (namely, gunsmiths) are more impressed with the Lone Peak.

Played with a Lone Peak at the Quiet Riot match this year, and I was quite impressed. Even with all the dust that the action ate that weekend (it was a dusty, windy bitch out there the first day), it still felt like a new action. Can't wait for the wife to get hers. I was debating between the Lone Peak and the Impact for her, and went with the Lone Peak.

Which Lone Peak action did you go with? Out of curiosity, what made the Impact less impressive to both yourself and gunsmiths?

I went with the Fuzion.

This one particular gunsmith says that the Lone Peak feels much smoother than an Impact. He wasn't really impressed with an Impact at all. He shoots PRS and can run whatever action he wants as he doesn't currently have an action sponsor, and he chooses to run Lone Peak.

My main gunsmith seems to like Impact actions, but he also chooses to use Lone Peak actions for all his personal rigs.

I personally haven't had the chance to handle an Impact yet. I'm sure it's pretty nice, and I doubt you can go wrong if you purchase one. I just thought it was interesting to see the preferences of a couple of gunsmiths that have had their hands on both actions. I was fairly impressed with the Lone Peak - you don't hear much about them. On the other side, there is a lot of hype about the Impacts.

Swage works for surgeon?

pros:
Smooth
runs in any conditions.
feeds and ejects perfect
feels beefy

cons:
Only available in black

Nope. I shoot a Defiance. I'm being respectful to Wade and Tate and they're aware of what my issues were and I'm sure they're working to eliminate them on future actions. This place has turned into nothing but drama queens which is why I've stayed away for the last six years. If you want one, buy one and and try it out like I did. It didn't work out for me and they gladly took it back. I wouldn't say it was smoother than my Defiance and the light bolt lift can be attributed to the 18 pounds firing pin spring which is too light in my opinion. My smith won't allow an action out the door with anything under 21 pounds. I'd say they have a good platform to improve upon. Proper/consistent ignition eliminates vertical stringing when shooting at distance. The bench rest guys and David Tubb figured this out a long time ago.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
Nope. I shoot a Defiance. I'm being respectful to Wade and Tate and they're aware of what my issues were and I'm sure they're working to eliminate them on future actions. This place has turned into nothing but drama queens which is why I've stayed away for the last six years. If you want one, buy one and and try it out like I did. It didn't work out for me and they gladly took it back. I wouldn't say it was smoother than my Defiance and the light bolt lift can be attributed to the 18 pounds firing pin spring which is too light in my opinion. My smith won't allow an action out the door with anything under 21 pounds. I'd say they have a good platform to improve upon. Proper/consistent ignition eliminates vertical stringing when shooting at distance. The bench rest guys and David Tubb figured this out a long time ago.

The impact action ships with a 24 lb firing spring. Sorry to be so dramatic...

To break it in, did you just cycle it a bunch of times? How long was the process?

I lube up a brand new action with something fairly viscous then purposefully kick up a bit of fine TX dirt around into the action letting the particles accumulate. Then get to work on cycling repeating the process to give a micro abrasive treatment to these actions. When I first got the impact- I found the rails that are nitrided to be a bit bindy out of the box. IE lateral pressure rear ward bolt would bind easily. I did this cycle maybe 10 times, as well as polishing out the cocking recess on the rear of the bolt to help smooth the bolt closure because it was a very stout shelf / wall that you would hit when closing the bolt.

Depending on the trigger and trigger hanger you use, you can tune or de tune your trigger timing a bit with the dremel. But there is a bit of cock on bolt closure that I believe helps with the aforementioned light (ish) bolt lift RE Mr. Swage.

I lube up a brand new action with something fairly viscous then purposefully kick up a bit of fine TX dirt around into the action letting the particles accumulate. Then get to work on cycling repeating the process to give a micro abrasive treatment to these actions. When I first got the impact- I found the rails that are nitrided to be a bit bindy out of the box. IE lateral pressure rear ward bolt would bind easily. I did this cycle maybe 10 times, as well as polishing out the cocking recess on the rear of the bolt to help smooth the bolt closure because it was a very stout shelf / wall that you would hit when closing the bolt.

Depending on the trigger and trigger hanger you use, you can tune or de tune your trigger timing a bit with the dremel. But there is a bit of cock on bolt closure that I believe helps with the aforementioned light (ish) bolt lift RE Mr. Swage.

Ah okay cool. How did you find out about the weight of the firing pin spring?