• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Impact Precision Actions

jkvinyard

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2012
Oklahoma
Just wanted to start a thread and start some discussion on Impact actions. If you haven’t heard of them or got your hands on one, do yourself a favor and check them out. You’ll be glad you did. You can find us on Facebook @ https://m.facebook.com/impactprecisionshooting/ or Instagram @ impactprecisionshootingllc.
Go give us a like and follow us! We have actions in stock ready to ship and you can check out our website @ https://impactprecisionshooting.com/
These actions have been in the field for the past 3 years and proven themselves to be reliable in all conditions. If you like smooth, then Impact is where it’s at. Let us know if you have any questions. If you have any experience with an Impact shoot us a comment here and let us know what you think!
210D1B4D-D244-4BD8-BA20-5C64143827E6.jpeg
21CBB760-F5FD-4048-8265-0EE0F26A353C.jpeg
FE5BABB1-B4BB-4268-A8B9-30D2D9CF6078.jpeg
C4341F4C-BDC1-463F-91B5-752152B04A1B.jpeg
2644AC3A-4975-49B0-B227-035C4AAAABC4.jpeg
0EB23A74-600E-4C1B-9DFF-78940BEA9BCC.jpeg
4452A580-E8E9-452C-A0BC-A1F5EF8F1342.jpeg

Attachments

• 513C7A00-982E-4369-9A2D-A483ACFD1D9C.jpeg
    513C7A00-982E-4369-9A2D-A483ACFD1D9C.jpeg
    264.7 KB · Views: 486
  • 65F49E9B-BA5F-43F9-9456-063AB9EFB7CD.jpeg
    65F49E9B-BA5F-43F9-9456-063AB9EFB7CD.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 520
  • 3B64C201-FEA5-4789-9A66-08F20DB8FB81.jpeg
    3B64C201-FEA5-4789-9A66-08F20DB8FB81.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 448
Not sure what my opinion is worth since I am not a pro by any means, but I have owned just about everything out there and shot the ones I haven't owned. Impact Precision actions are by far the most reliable action I have ever run, and they are slick even in nasty conditions. I won't bad mouth any of the other companies out there, but I have got rid of all my other bolt guns and have been slowly making the switch to Impacts. It also helps that the guys at Impact are some the best people you could ever do business with.

Great actions, I have ran one brand for many years and after using the impact I am slowly weeding out the other actions. Not that there are any problems with the ones I used to use. I just like the Impact more, I can run them faster and they are smoother.

I’ve been running another brand’s actions for years now. I got the chance to handle an Impact when they were still pretty fresh. I got to shoot one about a year ago, and got hooked. Now I own two, one in 223, and one being spun up in 6mm Creedmoor. You can’t beat the feel, the trigger hanger system is awesome, and what’s better than being able to install your own barrels if you want? I’ll tell you what... having customer service that can’t be touched, and the fact that you’ll likely never have to use it (except to order another one)! Do yourself a favor, if you see one on the range, ask to run a few rounds through it. After that, your mind will be made up.

Great product! I’ve ran and chambered a little bit of just about everything from trued M700,s and M70,s to the custom receivers and I’ve found Impacts to be extremely consistent, very smooth and of the highest quality. When set up prorerly, they load, fire, eject, and function perfectly even in the worst conditions. The fact that they’re made by a couple pretty great dudes ensures support thru many years of hard use.

Reactions: jkvinyard
I've run about 5000 rounds of 6BR and 6Dasher through these actions and I've not had one feeding or ejection issue with them. The actions are amazingly smooth.

I did have an issue with a firing pin assembly when I dropped it on the floor when I pulled it apart to clean it. I bent the firing pin, but Wade had me one in the mail the next day.

These guys are simply the best in the business.

What sold me was how well they perform when dirty. As a RO, I've seen some of the best actions out there have problems when shooting in dusty conditions, but never an Impact. Seems like you could drop them in the mud and they would continue to work well. Robin and Tate are as good as it gets. They stand behind what they build and will make sure you are satisfied.

Last edited:
Many of the above comments mirror my own experience with Impact Actions.
I've haven't tried all the competitors, but I do own quite a few of the R700 clones, and the Impact is my absolute favorite if I had to pick only one . It does tempt me to sell off the other clones to replace with Impacts. The action itself is spec'd with all the features I like. The staff is very knowledgeable and friendly. There are a lot of top tier shooters that use them. (And yes, I am aware they could all kick my ass with any POS handed to them, my point being they are all not running them just because they are paid/compensated).

One other tidbit for those that are extremely particular about ejection. I was RO'ing at a 2 day PRS event a while back. 200+ shooters ran through the stage I was at, 2 days in a row with 2 dif' par times. We didn't have a tarp down next to the stage and there was long prairie grass, so I probably helped shooters police their brass around 3-400x when their squad wasn't very close also assisting. It may have been partially coincidence, but I specifically recall being surprised by one shooter that day when I went to pickup his brass and it was all in one tiny small pile (group:unsure:). It was the OP. I asked what type of action he was running, (because I believe some of the earlier prototypes where not brand stamped so conspicuously as they are now).
He said, "Impact."

Two of my three shooting buddies are shooting Impacts (the other won't give up his long action 300wm). They are freaking slick, I was the second of our group to order one but of course I have to be difficult and had to order a left hand version so I am still (semi) patiently waiting for mine. Wish I had never handled the first one because it is making the wait that much harder. They have certainly made believers out of our crew.

Reactions: linsmea
At $1350 for the action they should be top notch. If it didn’t have all the attributes you all speak of what a disappointment it would be.

At $1350 for the action they should be top notch. If it didn’t have all the attributes you all speak of what a disappointment it would be.

I understand the price isn’t for everyone. But, When it comes to a custom action it’s right on par with any of the others. And, at that price it comes Nitrided. Your Right though when you pay that much you expect it to be flawless and I truly believe in an Impact that you get what you pay for.

Looks like a nice action, but the Nucleus price of 850 for me was a no brainer and impossible to pass up. I've never even heard of Impact till now... Looks like the custom action market is starting to get more players and more competitive, if the price was more around the 1000 dollar price I think that would help it alot.

That’s the reason I wanted to start a discussion on them. To get Impact out there more and allow people the chance to check them out. They have been put through the paces the last 3 years in the precision rifle match world. They have been steadily growing in popularity in the Precision Rifle Series and National Rifle League. They were the 2nd most popular action in the PRS last year by the top 100 shooters at the finale and that’s only after 3 years. Only behind defiance by not much. This year the top two shooters in the 2017 PRS season made the switch to Impact and chose them by their own regard and the #1 NRL shooter switched to Impact.

As far as the price. It’s not the goal to get into the market at a low price to grab a little bit of market share. By cutting the price and getting that low somethings gotta give and it’s not the pocket book of the company. So what can it be? I see it as the quality of components therefore also the product. You get what you pay for comes to light in that instance. Not trying to knock the Nucleus, I’m sure it’s a decent product but also not gonna be even close to the league of the Mausingfield, Defiance, Surgeon, Bighorn, Impact. but time will tell. The goal should really be to have a product that stands out by feel and performance and I believe Impact has that taken care of.
All Impact really asks, is to compare to the other top actions out there and see for yourself how smooth and well timed the action is. We believe that if you do that, you will be pleasantly surprised and the choice will be clear. But we also understand that everyone has their own preferences.

Would like to know the tenon threads dimensions of this action. If I get one should I have to stick with them in order to get a new barrel for installing in my house? I couldn't find anything on the website.

Reactions: RickyRodney
What are the features of this action that make it better than a Surgeon?

The most efficient way to answer that question would be to actually shoot both side-by-side,
because when comparing some of the top tactical actions,
there is never going to be a 'best' or even better to appease all.

I think that's all the company can ask for as JV pointed out in post#15 is for shooters to try one out and the performance might surprise you.
If you like the Surgeon better, maybe the Impact is not for you.

I happen to be fortunate enough to own both.
I prefer the Impact over the Surgeon because:

1) Nitride finish, which between that and the raceway amounts to an extremely smooth bolt throw/feel.
2) Trigger Hanger option
3) Extractor (my Surgeons all had remington extractors, however, I know that Surgeon now offers the m16)
4) Great experiences/relations with Company ownership
-while this may not be a physical feature of the action, it was/is relevant to my preference of one vs the other.

Last edited:

Midwestside answered this pretty good above and I’m just repeating a lot of the same. But feature wise.

•Comes Nitrided
•One firing pin size allowing both large and small rifle primers with same pin/bolt
•M16 extractor
•Trigger hanger - allowing quick change if trigger goes down and adjustable timing for different triggers.
•Bolt rides on anti bind rails allowing glass like functioning.
•Rugged bolt stop can take abuse

I know all these things are subjective to the end user and what they are looking for or feel is important to them.

If your looking for an action that feels like glass and is timed perfectly for easy bolt lift and close, then Impact has this knocked out of the park.

Reliability has been proven in any condition you could think of in matches all across the country, and the Impact still functions smooth as silk whether it’s dirty, dusty, wet, muddy, etc. This is most people’s favorite thing about an Impact, it functions and feels the same whether dirty or clean.

Like I said above, if you can get your hands on one, just compare them side by side and you can make a judgment with them both in your hands. However skeptical you may be, we feel you will be pleasantly surprised and the Impact will stand out.

Last edited:
Gee that looks familiar, wonder where he got the idea.....:sneaky:
Lol. Only response to that is.... what it “looks like” is that there was one guy involved in the design of both of them. But let’s just say that one of them is a little more advanced and I think we both know which one that is.

Reactions: R.Walters and NBK
Would like to know the tenon threads dimensions of this action. If I get one should I have to stick with them in order to get a new barrel for installing in my house? I couldn't find anything on the website.
Here ya go. 1-1/16-16 3a thread. .705/.150 counterbore. .950 headspace.
Any competent gunsmith can chamber your barrel for an Impact, so no you do not have to stick with Impact for new barrels. That is just another convenient option. Impact keeps chambered barrels in stock in popular match and hunting calibers. These chambered barrels are called “Impact by Stuteville”. This allows the end user to order an in stock chambered barrel and have it shipped to his door for them to install themselves.

Man, I need to stay off the Hide..... I’ve already dumped way too much $$ since coming back.... new rifle, scope, mount, ammo, now I need new dies, powder, bullets...... now I see new actions I need... I want a custom now....crap... guess I’ll drive a 20yr old jeep forever.... lol

Man, I need to stay off the Hide..... I’ve already dumped way too much $$ since coming back.... new rifle, scope, mount, ammo, now I need new dies, powder, bullets...... now I see new actions I need... I want a custom now....crap... guess I’ll drive a 20yr old jeep forever.... lol

Yep, just when you think they can’t come up with something cooler. They do.

Lol. It’s a never ending cycle isn’t it! But it sure is fun!

Reactions: Bender
While I don't own one and am a big supporter of another company that produces actions, I will own one very soon. I am lucky enough to know Tate and Wade, both being great guys. Tate and Wade have truly knocked this thing out of the park. I got to play with a prototype action about a year ago and was extremely impressed although they had some minor changes since. I can honestly say that the people behind this action and this company are what make it great, the action is just an offspring of what they believe in.

Are there any bolt knob options?
Short answer: no , not factory offerings anyhow

The long: I had asked Tate the same question when ordering, because I had seen a few varying knobs in the field and in photos. I believe he said after prototyping, the consensus was on their current offering with the two “cut/flutes” around the knob. The bolt has a similar male thread pitch to some of the other competitor actions for some aftermarket compatibility. For example, I run an APA knob on mine.

Last edited:
Having owned (and still do own) high end actions such as the Multiple Defiance deviants, Curtis axiom, bighorn tl3, Accuracy International... the Impact sets itself apart. The timing of the action is the best. Only a custom benchrest can perhaps be similar. It’s Soooo effortless to cycle the bolt. Cocking on closing can be self timed and is so minimal compared to other actions. Mine is paired with a foundation and Hawkins bottom metal, shooting 6 dasher. It’s crazy how smooth you will feed a round. Not a single action I’ve cycled has been that smooth when actually cycling a round.

Many people cycle their bolts and say, wow that’s smooth, and I’ll tell you all the actions I’ve owned and still own listed above I still have that impression; but, the impact action you will say, “wow that was sooo smooth”. Some of the other above listed actions will still have stuttering when advancing the bolt to pick up a round and while still smooth they are not impact smooth.

A buddy of mine whom never fired bolt guns just ARs and handguns, cycled all of my actions and I kept my mouth shut. He picked the impact as being the smoothest.

One feature that people need to be aware of is that the trigger hanger does limit what chassis can work. MPA no problem, JAE new versions no problem, the KRG whiskey 3 the low profile button head trigger hanger screws are needed, and even then I had to take my mag well bolt out. I’m sure I can find a low profile one but chose not too Bc it didn’t make a difference. The AI chassis will need inletting. Just an FYI... I decided to not mess around and go with the foundation stock. I guarantee you won’t regret it and you won’t see people sell their foundation, Bc they are super awesome!

Jeff Johnson, where did you get the round knob? Looks like the pre production impact knob.

That's a beautiful gun, those Foundation stocks look great.

Thanks man! Yessir they do! John Kyle and the gang make some beautiful stocks!

Jeff Johnson, where did you get the round knob? Looks like the pre production impact knob.

Shoot me a text and I will get ya squared away! 509-780-3378

@Jeff_Johnson I recognize that rifle from the match in Ralston last month. Shoots as good as it looks

I just wish the shooter that owns it could shoot better! Definitely doing it a disservice by only practicing every couple of months at a club match!

Reactions: jkvinyard and tnc
You can use a Defiance action wrench. That's what I use for my Impact from Wade.

These Foundation stocks are even better in person, and are by far my favorite stock I've used. You won't find a better guy to deal with than John Kyle...he's responsive and highly interactive.

You can use a Defiance action wrench. That's what I use for my Impact from Wade.

These Foundation stocks are even better in person, and are by far my favorite stock I've used. You won't find a better guy to deal with than John Kyle...he's responsive and highly interactive.
Awesome thanks Dan, John is super responsive answering questions. He’s got a lot of orders to fill too that stock has taken off and will continue to take off! Absolutely the best pairing with the Impact! I think a lot of people will find an even bigger surge of impact and foundations in both the NRL and PRS top 100 this year ;)

If you want a round one, I can tell ya how to get one of these-

View attachment 6884301

I don't care for that one much either. I would like something like the standard Surgeon bolt knob.

Been doing a lot of reading and heavily leaning towards Impact Precision for my next build. I really don't like that factory knob though lol

That is if I can get an Impact Precision action in Canada

Reactions: Bravo6niner
I don't care for that one much either. I would like something like the standard Surgeon bolt knob.

If thats the one you would like, it would thread right on.
But you might have to slightly turn down the O.D of where the knob meets up with the bolt(if I'm not mistaken), which I believe would be a easy job for many 'smiths completing/chambering your build.