• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Impact Prefit Barrel in a Surgeon Action

D46Infinity

Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Las Vegas NV
Has anyone tried to fit an impact prefit on a surgeon action?

I’ve got a new surgeon sitting around and was thinking about getting a prefit or selling my surgeon and getting an impact.

The only reason I’m thinking about using my surgeon is that I had it DLC coated.

I don't think it will work. Trying to remember numbers, but off the top of my head Impacts have a ~.935-940" tennon and I think Surgeons are .950". I could be off on my numbers as I haven't done a Surgeon in a couple months, but I don't think tennon length or headspace would work.

I’ve got a new surgeon sitting around and was thinking about getting a prefit or selling my surgeon and getting an impact.

The only reason I’m thinking about using my surgeon is that I had it DLC coated.
If you decide to sell your Surgeon, I might be a buyer.

Surgeons or .954” nominally I believe not surgeon impacts. You could call them and ask.

Impacts are 100% .935-.940” in tennon length. I do a bunch of prefits for them. Surgeon C prefix serial are capable of prefits, but I prefer to have the action in hand as I have seen some variances. However the barrels are not interchangeable.

I have Surgeon 591 actions and have shot several different caliber impact prefits on them with no issues. I am Not recommending anything for anyone just sharing

I have Surgeon 591 actions and have shot several different caliber impact prefits on them with no issues. I am Not recommending anything for anyone just sharing

Same. Mine head spaced out close enough to use Impact prefits.

Reactions: Faljunkie

Different Surgeon action SNs were varying a bit too much for counting on all shouldered pre-fits working on all Surgeons.

Don't forget something like the BugNut barrels from SPR. Those things shoot lights out and are easily installed on your action to the correct headspace.

./

Reactions: Faljunkie
Different Surgeon action SNs were varying a bit too much for counting on all shouldered pre-fits working on all Surgeons.

Don't forget something like the BugNut barrels from SPR. Those things shoot lights out and are easily installed on your action to the correct headspace.

./
The surgeons that I have Are pretty old low serial #

Reactions: Terry Cross
I have an Oklahoma vintage Surgeon 591 action. I would like to replace the existing barrel with a 20" carbon barrel in 6GT. I've read conflicting posts on whether an Impact prefit will "work" on the Surgeon 591. Any updates to this thread? If a prefit will "work", I'd appreciate your recommendations for suppliers. Thanks.