• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Impact Scope Ring Height

mjphawk

Private
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2013
Boynton Beach, FL
I’m in the process of putting together a new build on an Impact action. I plan to move over my Vortex Razor Gen II and run a competition contour barrel.

Does anyone know the minimum ring height I can get away with? Looking at a Vortex Match rings, MPA Mount, or Sphur.

20 moa rails, 34mm tube, 56mm objective, comp barrel, The lowest I think is 1” height rings. You wont be able to fit lens cap. One piece mount is another story as you need more clearance for the added metal between the rings.

One piece mount is another story as you need more clearance for the added metal between the rings.

Can you elaborate on this. Why would the design of the mount matter with respect to clearance? Aren’t the height ratings the height over the pic rail? Why would design matter unless you are simply stating that you need clearance for the erector housing of the scope.

What is a competition contour barrel? It's that through a specific company?

Anyways, this is 0.92 in Seekins/Vortex PMR rings on a M24 barrel, for reference. Lots of room.

apxcqPn.jpg

What is a competition contour barrel? It's that through a specific company?

Anyways, this is 0.92 in Seekins/Vortex PMR rings on a M24 barrel, for reference. Lots of room.

apxcqPn.jpg

The competition contour is by Proof. For the purpose of this conversation effectively a straight bull barrel with very little taper.

Is that a straight base? R700 action? Looks to be about the same clearance as mine other than mine being a little closer at the front. I have a 20 MOA Base.Looks like maybe there is less variability from gun to gun than I feared. Thank you for responding.

The competition contour is by Proof. For the purpose of this conversation effectively a straight bull barrel with very little taper.

Is that a straight base? R700 action? Looks to be about the same clearance as mine other than mine being a little closer at the front. I have a 20 MOA Base.Looks like maybe there is less variability from gun to gun than I feared. Thank you for responding.
20 MOA base. I think you should be okay. May be close, but the M24 tapers after the forend of the stock.

20 moa rails, 34mm tube, 56mm objective, comp barrel, The lowest I think is 1” height rings. You wont be able to fit lens cap. One piece mount is another story as you need more clearance for the added metal between the rings.

20 MOA base. I think you should be okay. May be close, but the M24 tapers after the forend of the stock.

STUPID QUESTION TIME, but I want to make sure I am not buying the wrong thing.

I have an Impact 737R, and I am buying a scope mount for it right now.

My question is this, I see two of you posted 20 MOA rails and 20 MOA base - so I assume this means that the Impact action already has 20 MOA cant built into the rail on top of the action.

So when buying a scope mount, am I buying a 0 MOA mount, or something else?

This is for PRS type shooting.

Thank you in advance. I know it is a noob question, but, well, I am a noob, so, there's that.

AT PRS distances you will not need 20+20 MOA.

STUPID QUESTION TIME, but I want to make sure I am not buying the wrong thing.

I have an Impact 737R, and I am buying a scope mount for it right now.

My question is this, I see two of you posted 20 MOA rails and 20 MOA base - so I assume this means that the Impact action already has 20 MOA cant built into the rail on top of the action.

So when buying a scope mount, am I buying a 0 MOA mount, or something else?

This is for PRS type shooting.

Thank you in advance. I know it is a noob question, but, well, I am a noob, so, there's that.
I run 40 MOA total. 20 in the scope mount and 20 in the rail.

LOL!

And I get two different answers! :LOL:

Well, I do appreciate that you each took the time to respond to me. Thank you.
If your scope supports that much elevation you can certainly use that much. You likely don’t need that much elevation at PRS distances.

Some guns I run 20, some 40, some 45…just depends on what mounts I have kicking around.

Do you have an adjustable comb? Probably yea. Run the high. I use the seekins/vortex PMR high. On an impact with heavy varmint and a gen 2. Your neck will appreciate the extra height. Your ballistic calculator will figure out the drop

LOL!

And I get two different answers! :LOL:

Well, I do appreciate that you each took the time to respond to me. Thank you.

You don't need 40 MOA for PRS distances. I only use 20 MOA and haven't had any issues at any PRS events.

There may be other reasons to want/need 40 MOA, but I don't think PRS is one of them.

Reactions: High Desert duck