• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Impact Wrench to install Action...For real?

DeathBeforeDismount

Midpack Mafia
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2021
IN YOUR HEAD
Granted I don't work in a gun shop and I dont build guns so maybe this is normal. I was watching a video of a guy using a CNC to cut a barrel and when he installed the action to time it, he used a Milwaukee impact wrench to install it. Is this normal? Does anyone actually do this? These wrenches are like 600-1000 Ft lbs, and I assume he would have to use it to uninstall it as well. One would think the hammering effect would transfer from the action wrench to the Lugs? Anyone seen or done anything like this?

Start around 9:10

• Wow
Reactions: Holliday
Granted I don't work in a gun shop and I dont build guns so maybe this is normal. I was watching a video of a guy using a CNC to cut a barrel and when he installed the action to time it, he used a Milwaukee impact wrench to install it. Is this normal? Does anyone actually do this? These wrenches are like 600-1000 Ft lbs, and I assume he would have to use it to uninstall it as well. One would think the hammering effect would transfer from the action wrench to the Lugs? Anyone seen or done anything like this?

I would hope not, The use of the impact would create a non-repeatable "torque" on the barrel/action joint, If he then removed the action from the barrel it would not go back on in the same rotational position. Poor Machining technique.

Yeah, there are hacks in all trades. the trick is to set the limiting level at a lower "torque" and then finish it with a torque wrench.

Reactions: wind gypsy
I'd say no to the impact wrench, I install barrels using manual lathe, but have years in CNC .
I remembered some instructions with AR barrel extensions...a similar situation. So I went and found instructions for AR 10 barrel extensions, the line where the bullet is ... states no impact wrenches should be used. They can be difficult to remove, but never use an impact wrench to remove or tighten. Remove with breaker bar, tighten with torque wrench...

Attachments

• 20240117_143430.jpg
    20240117_143430.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 43
This particular person has been known to do "different" things than the rest of the industry. Catches quite a bit of shit when he does.

At this point, he might be doing it for clicks. Which I guess, if it works, it works. (the clicks, not the impact)

His explanations for many things CNC in this video would make someone like @Tokay444 jump off a bridge.

Last edited:
yeah, Agree, been Decades since I did any machining but an impact could also damage the action threads as it exerts force in two directions one rotational and the other linear and does so with repeated hammering. I do wish I had learned on a CNC:unsure:

Reactions: lash

From the title: “When Precision Matters”

…….(don’t use a friggin’ impact!)

• Haha
Reactions: FuhQ

This is probably more repeatable than your torque wrench. I don't know if that's what he used, but it could have been.

I think that is hilarious. He might do some “crazy” stuff but justifies are sold out for rimfire and his rifles are winning a lot of big matches.

I tried to get a barrel done by him for my Vudoo. Needless to say he basically said he wasn’t interested as he was too busy and would instead build me a full rifle when he could lol.

Reactions: jafo96
I highly doubt an using an impact will harm anything. Probably not what we want to see but it also likely doesn't matter. I anything I'd be worried about the action wrench.

Reactions: jafo96
I highly doubt an using an impact will harm anything. Probably not what we want to see but it also likely doesn't matter. I anything I'd be worried about the action wrench.

I'd assume the wrench is designed to give out before the action twists. But not sure. Most designs are softer though on purpose.

Reactions: oldrifleman
I'd assume the wrench is designed to give out before the action twists. But not sure. Most designs are softer though on purpose.
We use the exact same Milwaukee at work. On the lowest setting I can hold the socket in my hand and stop the gun.

On the highest setting it would destroy that action. Like 1500 ft lbs

We use the exact same Milwaukee at work. On the lowest setting I can hold the socket in my hand and stop the gun.

On the highest setting it would destroy that action. Like 1500 ft lbs

Well, if its that model, probably no issue then. Even if it isn't perfectly consistent. Anything from 75-150lbs is fine. Unless you're doing something like TacOps where you have your own secret sauce specs.

Reactions: lash and hafejd30
I think it was a pipe wrench.
You are, of course, correct. I was today years old when I learned that what I have always called a “monkey wrench” is in fact a pipe wrench. And, that a monkey wrench is similar to, but distinct from a pipe wrench.

• Haha
Reactions: AmmoFort and lash
That’s incredibly stupid and a good way to fuck up your action. You can look at the female drive of a socket that’s used on an impact much and see exactly what the hammering action does and why it’s a bad idea… and that’s on hardened sockets.

People do dumb ass shit at all level of “expertise”.

Depends on how you are doing it. I use to install my slicks all the time with a 3/8" Dewalt impact driver and still have a lot to go when torquing the wheels down to 110FT lbs. I think max tq on that impact driver is like 150ft lbs with a lot of ugga luggs. lol I use my 1/4" 12v impact driver to do a lot of stuff on my guns. It has a adjustable torque and on the low settings you can stop it with your hands. Makes it handy when you are doing a lot of little bolts. I always go back and make sure it's tight with a ratchet/torque wrench depending on the fastener.

Didn't watch the video but there's a shit ton of structural fasteners with engineer torque specs that are installed using a calibrated hammer drill or impact.

If he's just tightening it up to index and has the torque of the drill turned down, who cares? There's a number of quick change barrel solutions out there where something is inserted hand tight before being fastened and a huge range of torque values used by dudes torqueing on shouldered barrels. Doesn't seem like a big deal as long as he's not damaging anything on the action or using excessive torque.

Did it pass the quality check/inspection? That is really all that matters. So long as the part meets or exceeds the drawing specs, the nergy spent on worrying about it is wasted money. I didnt watch the video.The profit margin for machine shops is so thin in todays manufacturing industries. It is most likely a huge profit loss not to use an impact gun at each machine. Hopefully there is a torque wrench on each work bench too. I worked at a shop once and they had green initative so far up their dairyaires, they counted the number of steps we took for each part we made. Every single movement we made had to count towards production. The company kept records of all that stuff. I quit after a few months.

Did it pass the quality check/inspection? That is really all that matters. So long as the part meets or exceeds the drawing specs,

That's a lot of assumptions to reach that conclusion. Have you ever worked in a production environment for precision mechanical parts?

I wouldn't make that leap, personally. Way too easy to have a finished product leave with impact damage that was never noticed, and impact damage isn't always visible anyway.

Seriously!

Everyone knows to do good work you should use an Ingersoll Rand Impact.

So back when while building Lee Enfields, they used a wild ass contraption that put like 18 tons on the barrel. I wonder if they ever broke an action putting one together? I’ve cracked one taking the barrel off for sure, but that’s after how many years of use and sitting

That's a lot of assumptions to reach that conclusion. Have you ever worked in a production environment for precision mechanical parts?

I wouldn't make that leap, personally. Way too easy to have a finished product leave with impact damage that was never noticed, and impact damage isn't always visible anyway.
Sadly though, it’s the truth for most shops. The cost of one or two customers complaints, is easier for a shop to absorb than maybe a few pallets less of product on invoice. That’s why you see a big piece of equipment stuck into the corner of the shop a lot of times. They can not afford to let the competition buy it used and the company can’t afford to spend the time to reinvent a use for it. So it gets put in the corner and covered. It’s just cheaper in the accounting.

So back when while building Lee Enfields, they used a wild ass contraption that put like 18 tons on the barrel. I wonder if they ever broke an action putting one together? I’ve cracked one taking the barrel off for sure, but that’s after how many years of use and sitting
there was probably a cost effective reason why. Cost too much to manufacture a tool to torque the barrels closer to spechs, or if you know anything about threads, those were some seriously bad threads. If threads are made correctly, you should be able to put together by hand and need like a (slight exaduration here) hundred pounds of force to separate the assembly back into separate pieces again. May very well been poorly machined threads to have you require that. LOL

[/QUOTE]
Seriously!

Everyone knows to do good work you should use an Ingersoll Rand Impact.

What's really crazy. During the two years I was in college we used top end IR impacts at the tire shop. We replaced about 2 out of 6 every few months. During the 10 years I worked in the deisel shop. I had one harbor freight 1/2" earthquake impact that never broke and composite 3/8 US General impacts that I used while I was in college as well. They are both still in my tool box working great 7 years after a career change.

A 1000ftlb impact would proabaly never get a bolt hammered to 1000ftlbs of torque. Even if ugga duggad all day long. The guy in the video was careful. He didn't hammer on it much or run it to the shoulder with force. Like when you just let the fastener hammer into the work rather than slowly butting them up then tightening.

The main thing I would be worried about would the hardness of the tool being able to beat out the inside of the action. Like BMXer said.

I will also say this isn't the first video I have seen of someone tightening an action with an impact on a rear entry action wrench. It's proabaly.more common than we think.