• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Imperial sizing wax question

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, I tried this tonight for the first time.
WOW! I love this stuff! I sized and deprimed about 50 cases in less time that I could have lubed, dried, then resized using my Dillon Spray Lube. I am a believer.

My question is how long do I need to tumble to remove the wax? Or does the wax even need to be tumbled to remove prior to loading?

Jim

Re: Imperial sizing wax question

wipe off is plenty , I ususally load all the rounds then wipe them off prior to putting them in a box
its the best stuff ever

Just wipe if off while your priming them if you use a hand primer.
Does a good job of keeping them from tarnishing as well.

Only reason to retumble would be to remove sizing marks on your brass.

One small tin will last a very long time!

While I've seen it used and have a healthy respect for it, I prefer RCBS Water Soluble Lube.

It is applied and used the same way, but can be removed more thoroughly by wiping the cartidge case with a soft cloth dampened in rubbing alcohol. I realize folks don't think it's that much of an issue, but I prefer to ensure there is NO lube present when I chamber my cartridges.

There is a penalty. The resizing dies need to be thoroughly cleaned and lightly oiled after use, as the soapy/detergent character of the product leaves the dies with absolutely no rust protection after use. I'd consider this as a negative; but I really believe the dies should be cleaned after use anyway, so it's a wash (pun intended) in the end.

Greg

Everything else sucks in comparison IMHO, I sometimes will tumble the Imperial off, as I FL the cases I throw them into the tumbler, 30 minutes is fine, but mostly wipem clean after FL.

This stuff lasts forever as well ...had a can for around 2 yrs now and only used a tiny amount with lots and lots of lubed cases ... I just wipe um off to clean

Most of the time, I'll tumble for about 30 minutes to an hour to clean off the wax. Sometimes you'll get a little wax on the inside of the case necks, and this will cause bullets to seat too easy. I want to keep all the case necks the same. If you are carefull, and don't get any in the neck area, just wipe off with a towel.

I also like the wax for when you need to size a primed case. I don't like using a spray for chance it gets down into the case and on the primer.

When neck sizing, I'll open the tin and put some wax on my fingers and grab a case by the neck. This works great, and is very fast when neck sizing.

I wipe the cases off with a clean cloth with lighter fluid on it. But everyone has their own way of doing things.

You are working to hard on standing up the cases in pretty little rows when you use the spray lube. Dump your brass in a large zip lock, spray some lube in, seal it, and then roll it all around. Load as normal.

Imperial is great, it does last along time, it is easy to apply. I wipe it off with a clean rag.

Someone suggested to me to rinse the cases with hot water, in order to remove the wax. I then wipe them dry. Works well.

I have had a lot of people tell me they just wipe them off after sizing.
That makes sense since I only have a very small amount of wax on the cases to start with.
When I used the Dillon spray I just laid 5-10 on a lube pad, sprayed them and rolled them a little. This is a lot faster and cleaner.

Thanks,
Jim