• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Importance of bottom metal?

Jim_D303

Sergeant
Minuteman
I've been looking info regarding the benefits of aftermarket bottom metal.

I'm planning to upgrade the 700 SPS I have to a stock which doesn't bend like a wet noodle, and trying to price out my options. How important is it to replace the factory bottom plastic?

If you drop/bed an action into a HS or B&C stock, will you still see an accuracy improvement in going to aftermarket metal?

I don't have a need for detachable mags yet, so I'd rather not spend that money. However, if its a critical link in the accuracy chain, then that may impact what I decide to buy, and when.

Sorry if this is a newbie question...I've been looking for an answer for the better part of a week, and can't find much on the subject.

Many thanks!

Re: Importance of bottom metal?

You cant torque factory plastic bottom metal as tight as you can whit quality aftemarket bottom metal.

I would buy some quality bottom metal as well. Whit HS and B&C you need to inlet at least some of them but i think there might be drop in unit nowadays as well.

factory bottom metal is also cheap and poorly constructed if you are an operator/field guy or do any comps a simple fall or so forth will fold the factory bottom metal into the trigger. I see this happen all the time mostly hunters though. But rarely do i see a hunter replace bottom metal they just bring 2 guns. All I know is when you deploy I don't care how careful you are your shit is going to be banged the f up. That is one of my first priority's in a new build.

There's no point to spending the money on bottom metal unless what you have is broken, you want to change the stock, or you expect to shoot comps where fast reloading is part of a stage.

If you want the convenience of a drop-in and need more durability than what you have, have a look at the AI chassis system non-folder.