• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Importing a firearm into the US from NZ

Mugsy9010

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2017
Any of you folks ever imported a firearm into the US? I assume it's doable provided it's legal for a US civilian to own (this one is a bolt action rifle, so no worries there) but how much hassle is it? I assume it will need to get shipped to an FFL in the US and there will be some paperwork, but is it that much more involved than filling out NFA paperwork?

Thanks in advance.

You will need to find an FFL with import capabilities. I am sure there is a list somewhere. They will need to fill out a form 6. I belive the ATF says it takes about 4-6 weeks to process. The hardest part is finding the FFL to do it. They will take care of the rest assuming you are willing to pay......

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Reactions: Mugsy9010
Just make sure it has absolutely no ivory on it not even the front sight bead because they will seize it.....a friend of mine was given a double rifle as a gift in Africa while on safari, when he tried to bring it back they seized it for the ivory front sight.....

Reactions: Mugsy9010
You will need to find an FFL with import capabilities. I am sure there is a list somewhere. They will need to fill out a form 6. I belive the ATF says it takes about 4-6 weeks to process. The hardest part is finding the FFL to do it. They will take care of the rest assuming you are willing to pay......

Good luck, I hope this helps.
Thanks, I think there's a guy near me that does this kinda stuff, I'll touch base with him.

There are places that do it. I “almost” imported a few of my guns from Australia to the USA when I moved a few years ago. Unless it’s something you can’t get here or has sentimental value etc, it’s really not worth the cost of importing. Selling it in NZ then re-buying it here is probably cheaper.

as others have said, need an FFL with import capabilities. Form 6, and X number of weeks to process. Major costs will be air freight from NZ to LAX, then more freight from there to your FFL. Costs will add up.

Last edited: