• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Impressed by Bushnell?!

Mongoose67

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2021
Colorado
I've been a big Leupold fan for a long time. I have scopes ranging from old Vari-x II to VX-3i. I just started tinkering with mid range shooting with a Vortex PST Gen II. I've always loved the lightweight and high quality leupold for hunting. The Vortex is a good scope but in my opinion overpriced for what you get. After doing a log of research on a less expensive scope for a 7mm rem mag I came across a great deal on a Bushnell Engage on MidwayUSA. Its a 3-12x42. My last memory of bushnell were the $20 scopes you bought back in the 80's for a 22. I was shocked with how good the glass and turrets are on this scope. Very clear glass and very solid, physical click/sound locking turrets. Granted, I have just mounted it and am yet to shoot it, but WOW!. This is making me rethink my very heavy and expensive Vortex in lieu of a Bushnell Forge. Anyone have experience with these?

Is the 3 ounce difference between the Vortex and Engage that big of a deal to you?

I bought a couple of the forge scopes dirt cheap on midway early in the year. I wouldn't call them light by any means, but for the money I have in them I can't complain. Glass is pretty good and they seem to track fine. Nothing amazing, but seem solid and I think I only paid $500 a piece. Not worth the $1000+ they msrp for though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mongoose67
I love my Bushnell Forge 4.5-27X50 ffp. I'm a huge Vortex fan (owned PST II 5-25X50. Currently own 2 Razor, AMG and a few Vipers). The Forge was clearer, better turrets, better eye relief and more forgiving then the 5-25x50 Vipers.

Reactions: Mongoose67
I have used the DMR and the XRS and yes I would say the Bushnell scopes are great quality and it’s hard to justify the price difference up to a vortex other than a little better clarity and maybe illumination but I don’t think it’s a $500 clarity worth for me anyway

It's not like Robert Brantley won King of 2 Miles a couple years ago, then finished second the following year with a Bushnell or anything...

*cough*

Seriously, though, I am always surprised at how many people still hear 'Bushnell' and think cheap scopes and hunting optics, and nothing else. They've been cranking out some bad-ass higher end optics for a long time, too.

It's not like Robert Brantley won King of 2 Miles a couple years ago, then finished second the following year with a Bushnell or anything...

*cough*

Seriously, though, I am always surprised at how many people still hear 'Bushnell' and think cheap scopes and hunting optics, and nothing else. They've been cranking out some bad-ass higher end optics for a long time, too.
I think its a branding problem. They probably shouldn't put their name on a sub-$100 scope if they want people to think quality. Come up with a new name for the lower end stuff. I certainly made this mistake.

I think its a branding problem. They probably shouldn't put their name on a sub-$100 scope if they want people to think quality. Come up with a new name for the lower end stuff. I certainly made this mistake.
Vortex, Leopold, and many others do the exact same thing but it doesn’t seem to elicit the same response as does Bushnell or Burris for some reason.

*cough*

Bushnell suffered greatly in the early 2000's. The CEO was a guy that used to work for RayBan, and his idea of success was to make everything as cheaply as possible in China, and damn the QC. Example; a shipment of lower end scopes came in and promptly failed QC because the arrows on the dials indicated the wrong direction for windage and elevation. The solution? "Send them out anyway; it's just a hundred dollar scope."

When they were bought by Vista Outdoors, the new management immediately set about restoring Bushnell's reputation and IMHO have done so.

Vortex, Leopold, and many others do the exact same thing but it doesn’t seem to elicit the same response as does Bushnell or Burris for some reason.
The lowest cost Leupold is still usually a very serviceable hunting scope. Vortex does have some Chinese junk, but their fanboys seem to keep the reputation up and even their cheapest scopes are decent. I guess part of it with Vortex is the age of the company. I personally think Vortex is overated. Yes they have a great warranty, but you will probably have to use it on their low and mid range scopes.

After buying an XRS 2 last year, I’m a fan. I prefer this over the Razor G2 it replaced.
I haven’t used the Razor G2 but looked through one once and didn’t see the justification in price difference

Bushnell's roots is in Bausch & Lomb, a high end optical company who also made nice scopes in the 70's and 80's.

Like Vortex, if its not made in Japan or the US, stay the fuck away.

As far as the Razor vs XRS2....... The Razor has better glass, better eyebox, controls CA better and has illumination standard.

Is it just my Vortex PST GEN II? My $200 Bushnell Engage has a significantly better eye box than my $800 Vortex.

Bushnell's roots is in Bausch & Lomb, a high end optical company who also made nice scopes in the 70's and 80's.

Like Vortex, if its not made in Japan or the US, stay the fuck away.

As far as the Razor vs XRS2....... The Razor has better glass, better eyebox, controls CA better and has illumination standard.

Is it just my Vortex PST GEN II? My $200 Bushnell Engage has a significantly better eye box than my $800 Vortex.
They are both substandard optics made in 3rd world shitholes.

Like I said, if you want to buy a Bushnell or Vortex scope, make sure its made in Japan. They are excellent. Everything else they make is different degrees of unreliable shit.

For the same $800 you spent on that Vortex Viper G2, you could have bought a new or used Bushnell DMR/XRS/DMR2/LRHS/LRTS.

They are both substandard optics made in 3rd world shitholes.

Like I said, if you want to buy a Bushnell or Vortex scope, make sure its made in Japan. They are excellent. Everything else they make is different degrees of unreliable shit.

For the same $800 you spent on that Vortex Viper G2, you could have bought a new or used Bushnell DMR/XRS/DMR2/LRHS/LRTS.
I just might sell it and buy a Forge. Any other recommendations in the $800 price range?

My first Bushnell was an AR Optics 1-4. It was OK for what I paid, nothing special.

Then I got a PST Gen 2, and became of Vortex fan.

I was talked into an LRTS recently, and fell in love with Bushnell (thanks Camera Land).

I loved it so much that I went to pick up another, and then realized the XRS 2 was on sale at midway, so XRS 2 joined the stable.

I am a Bushnell Fan Boy now....for the price, the quality is outstanding. Can't wait to see the new LRHS.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
I still have the first scope I ever bought, an elite 3200 3-9. It is still on my first hunting rifle, a win model 70 7mm Mauser. Shot my first 10 black tails with that gun. I did have to sent it back once, due to my dumb ass dropping it off a cliff. Would not hold zero. They took care of it for free and has been gtg ever since.

Reactions: JTinMO
My first rifle scope was a Bushnell Elite 3200 10X fixed mil-dot. Midway had it on sale for $200 and Bushnell had a $75 rebate for "any" Elite scope so the net cost was $125. I learned a lot with that scope. If nothing else it has a fixed parallax so I learned how to stay aligned behind the scope. :) From there I graduated to the SWFA 12X scopes. I'm a cheap scope bastard. :)

Would the DMR II be a good fit for a rimfire precision rifle?

Last edited:
I'm excited to see any new reticles in the HDMR PRO.
I have an HDMR CR with H59 on my vudoo and love it, am really thinking about a DMR PRO for my .308 to replace the Razor2.
Mostly because the .308 will see reloads with zero shifts, and the turrets on the DMR are so much eaiser to make small repeatable zero shifts than the Razors screws and inner wheel, at least in the field or at the range.
I've really appreciated the Razor, it's a tank, but Bushnell has caught my attention again for sure.
Hoping the PRO gets a new spin on the G3 with a center dot...

Would the DMR II be a good fit for a rimfire precision rifle?
Yes, they made the HDMR "CR" specifically for the 22 games with a new parallax range and knob. It's become my favorite NRL22 scope, and hope it sticks around.

Yes, they made the HDMR "CR" specifically for the 22 games with a new parallax range and knob. It's become my favorite NRL22 scope, and hope it sticks around.

Yeah, the original one had a minimum parallax of 50 yards, so it may not be ideal.

Ok thank you very much for the info. Definitely sounds like the one midway has on sale is not a good fit for a rimfire.

I posted this in a rimfire thread, it's the HDMR CR parallax knob, goes down to 25y
1612809910841.png

Anything below the "pro level" scopes (like XRS) with Bushnell is a nope from me. I've fooled with them all at the store... turrets suck.

While Vortex makes nice scopes for my purposes (hunting and competition) I chose Bushnell.
COMPETITION-> Bushnell Elite ERS 3.5 - 21 x 50 W/H59 reticle
HUNTING-> Bushnell Elite LRTS 4.5 - 18 x 44 W. G3 illuminated reticle (This model has been replaced this summer with a new version.)
Both have 30 mm main tubes.

True neither are ED glass but have very good glass and accurate turret adjustments based on my Tall Target vertical adjustments and "shooting a square" with both scopes.

For ED glass I recommend the Bushnell Elite XRS II 4.5 - 30 x 50 with good choice of reticles. Very good scope for the money.

BTW, I will only buy Japanese made Bushnell scopes for the present until we see how the Chinese made (Forge & Nitro) scopes hold up in field conditions.

Last edited:
I pulled the trigger on the DMR II from Midway. Looking forward to comparing side by side with my vortex viper PST GEN II.

Reactions: drewthebrave
Not unless they changed the minimum parallax from 75y. I think they actually made a special run for rimfire.
DMR II scopes, with the exception of the CR, have a 50-yard minimum parallax.

BTW, I will only buy Japanese made Bushnell scopes for the present until we see how the Chinese made (Forge & Nitro) scopes hold up in field conditions.
Nitro & most Prime are made in South Korea. The EU Forges with German #4 reticles are made in South Korea; the U.S. versions are China.

DMR II scopes, with the exception of the CR, have a 50-yard minimum parallax.

Nitro & most Prime are made in South Korea. The EU Forges with German #4 reticles are made in South Korea; the U.S. versions are China.

Is 50y a change or are they all that way. I was pretty sure the DMRII I bought when they rolled them out had 75Y just like my ERS.

Reactions: Changed
I have owned many Bushnell products HDMR, DMR-IIi, XRS, ERS, Conx Kit with LRF...etc. I could not find enough reason to keep any of them except for one. That is the DMR-IIi. I can not sell that one, because of the discounts available on it. I hate that I spent money on the DMR-IIi only to find that the stadia are so thick that the reticle is nearly unusable.

I was interested in trying the XRS II, but could not bring myself to do so when so many other companies do such a terrific job on their scopes (especially reticle design) in the same/similar price range. I will say, that I like the simplicity of the G2 reticle. Until someone can convince me otherwise, I think the Leupold, Athlon, and Vortex offerings in the $2,000 range are better designs.

I have never had a mechanical malfunction, I will say that. I have never sent one back either. I was tempted with the DMR-IIi. But, I don't think it is defective, it's just not a good option for me.

Is 50y a change or are they all that way. I was pretty sure the DMRII I bought when they rolled them out had 75Y just like my ERS.

DMR II has always been 50. XRS II was always 75.

Team RCBS & Bushnell

Errm, I just checked my DMR II-i (G3 illuminated) and it only goes down to 75 yards. The Midway specs (Bushnell Elite Tactical DMR II Rifle Scope 34mm Tube 3.5-21x 50mm Side (midwayusa.com) also say 75 yards minimum.

I'd suggest you check that that minimum yards figure and get back to us. Either the DMR II is not always 50 yards, or Midway is selling factory seconds as first quality scopes.

Reactions: Changed

Team RCBS & Bushnell

Errm, I just checked my DMR II-i (G3 illuminated) and it only goes down to 75 yards. The Midway specs (Bushnell Elite Tactical DMR II Rifle Scope 34mm Tube 3.5-21x 50mm Side (midwayusa.com) also say 75 yards minimum.

I'd suggest you check that that minimum yards figure and get back to us. Either the DMR II is not always 50 yards, or Midway is selling factory seconds as first quality scopes.
I can check with the Product Manager, but I've never seen a DMR-II that's only done 75 yards. Every one I've handled and own is 50 yards. Makes me wonder if there was some odd change somewhere along the way.

Any word on the new offerings for 2010. Putting off buying a new scope till we see what you guys release.

Team RCBS & Bushnell

Looked at my DMR II Pro last night and parallax is labeled down to 50 yards.

John

I had a lrts 18x. I did like that a lot for a discounted price. Max at 14 or 15 and something I could buy a few more of. Mfg. would not support legible knobs and as mine was a sort of tan color I need black with white markings. These would have been an enormous help for me but not available to me or the vendor Inought from.
I will purchase nothing but Nightforce now. Period.