• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Impressions from the range...

Samegawa

Private
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2012
Sweden
Hi Guys,

New to the forum, so I want to know if it is OK to post a summary of a test we made of some nice riflescopes the other weekend. It includes about 18 scopes, among them Hensolt, Kahles, USO, Ior, Nightforce, Vortex, S&B, March, Nikon and a few others...
We were 9 shooters with military and hunting backround. Mind you this was done in one weekend and there were a lot to look at, thus we do not label this as a test, but impressions from the range. We used a range up to 950 meters and steel targets aswell as observation targets in the terrain.

Please let me know if it is apporpriate to post such a thread here.

/ Emil

OK, just to start somewhere...

Testing was done by "Listers Härads Skyttesällskap" a small shooting club in South East of Sweden
Supplying the optics was mainly AstroSweden, we had a couple sitting on our own rifles.
Sako Sweden Supplied a couple of rifles (TRG, Tikka sporter and Sako Quad Range)

Rifle Optics:

Mounted on rifles and shot with

Hensoldt ZF 6-24x72 IR MIL DOT IR - http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...pes/224136-impressions-range.html#post2833983
Hensoldt ZF 4-16x56 FFP LT IR - http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...pes/224136-impressions-range.html#post2837944
Hensoldt ZF 4-16x56 FFP IR MIL DOT
March-FX 5-40x56 FFP FML-1 IR - http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...pes/224136-impressions-range.html#post2839895
March-F 3-24x42 FFP FML-1 IR - http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...pes/224136-impressions-range.html#post2846341
March Tactical 2.5-25x42 MML IR
U.S. Optics ER-25 5-25x58 FFP GAP-MIL IR - http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...s/224136-impressions-range-2.html#post2915873
U.S. Optics LR-17 3.2-17x44 FFP GAP MIL IR - http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...s/224136-impressions-range-2.html#post2974438
IOR Tactical 6-24x56 FFP SH-1 IR - http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...s/224136-impressions-range-2.html#post2994119
Kahles K624i 6-24x56 FFP CCW MIL-6 IR
Nightforce NXS 8-32x56 MLR IR - http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...s/224136-impressions-range-2.html#post3042743
Nightforce ATAC-R 5-25x56 MLR IR
Delta Titanium 4.5-30x50 MCZ-II IR

Mounted on prone platform, not shot with

Hensoldt ZF 6-24x56 IR MIL DOT
IOR Tactical 3.5-18x50 FFP SH-1 IR
Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 FFP EBR-3 IR
Kahles K624i 6-24x56 FFP MSR IR
Bushnell Tactical 3.5-21x50 DMR G2 FFP
Meopta ZD Tactical 6-24x56 Mil Dot IR
Schmidt & Bender 3-12x50 P4 fine FFP

Spotting Optics:
Leica Televid 25-50x82
Swarovski ATX 30-70x95
Celestron Regal M2 20-67x100
Vortex Viper XD 20-60x80
U.S. Optics FOS 15-45x60 FFP GAP-Mil
Leica Geovid HD-B 10x42

Rifles:
1 pc SAKO 30.06
2 pc SAKO TRG 22 cal 308win
1 pc Browning A-Bolt 6.5x55
1 pc TIKKA T3 Sporter cal 308win
1 pc Custom m96 cal 6.5x55
1 pc TIKKA 596 cal 6.5x55
1 pc Remington cal 30.06
1 pc Ruger Hawkeye Tactical cal 308win
1 pc SAKO quad Range 22LR (just for fun)

Scope mounts:
SPUHR ISMS (fantastic stuff)
Ruger scope rings
Ior scope rings

Last edited:
Well, since I´m a greenhorn here and there are rules I´d thought I check first...
I´m interested to post it because of the expertise and wealth of experience circling around here, and it might be interesting to discuss the findings with you guys.

So, unless somebody objects in the near future I´ll start writing...

Good for it. We're all eager for personal impressions and understand that's all it is and we can agree to disagree at time. Very forgiving members here unless you turn out to be a jerk! I have always found most threads here very objective.

Yep, looking forward to hearing/seeing the impressions. Welcome to the Hide and you're already ahead of the game on your "first" post.

Thank you for your replies Guys! I´m not native in english so forgive my translation shortcomings. The material is a bit large and translation takes some time for me. However I can post it as I go along if that´s ok?

OK, just to start somewhere...

Testing was done by "Listers Härads Skyttesällskap" a small shooting club in South East of Sweden

Supplying the optics was mainly AstroSweden, we had a couple sitting on our own rifles.

Sako Sweden Supplied a couple of rifles (TRG, Tikka sporter and Sako Quad Range)

Rifle Optics:

Mounted on rifles and shot with

Hensoldt ZF 6-24x72 IR MIL DOT IR - http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...pes/224136-impressions-range.html#post2833983
Hensoldt ZF 4-16x56 FFP LT IR - http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...pes/224136-impressions-range.html#post2837944
Hensoldt ZF 4-16x56 FFP IR MIL DOT
March-FX 5-40x56 FFP FML-1 IR - http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...pes/224136-impressions-range.html#post2839895
March-F 3-24x42 FFP FML-1 IR - http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...pes/224136-impressions-range.html#post2846341
March Tactical 2.5-25x42 MML IR
U.S. Optics ER-25 5-25x58 FFP GAP-MIL IR - http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...s/224136-impressions-range-2.html#post2915873
U.S. Optics LR-17 3.2-17x44 FFP GAP MIL IR - http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...s/224136-impressions-range-2.html#post2974438
IOR Tactical 6-24x56 FFP SH-1 IR - http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...s/224136-impressions-range-2.html#post2994119
Kahles K624i 6-24x56 FFP CCW MIL-6 IR
Nightforce NXS 8-32x56 MLR IR - http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...s/224136-impressions-range-2.html#post3042743
Nightforce ATAC-R 5-25x56 MLR IR
Delta Titanium 4.5-30x50 MCZ-II IR

Mounted on prone platform, not shot with

Hensoldt ZF 6-24x56 IR MIL DOT
IOR Tactical 3.5-18x50 FFP SH-1 IR
Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 FFP EBR-3 IR
Kahles K624i 6-24x56 FFP MSR IR
Bushnell Tactical 3.5-21x50 DMR G2 FFP
Meopta ZD Tactical 6-24x56 Mil Dot IR
Schmidt & Bender 3-12x50 P4 fine FFP

Spotting Optics:
Leica Televid 25-50x82
Swarovski ATX 30-70x95
Celestron Regal M2 20-67x100
Vortex Viper XD 20-60x80
U.S. Optics FOS 15-45x60 FFP GAP-Mil
Leica Geovid HD-B 10x42

Rifles:
1 pc SAKO 30.06
2 pc SAKO TRG 22 cal 308win
1 pc Browning A-Bolt 6.5x55
1 pc TIKKA T3 Sporter cal 308win
1 pc Custom m96 cal 6.5x55
1 pc TIKKA 596 cal 6.5x55
1 pc Remington cal 30.06
1 pc Ruger Hawkeye Tactical cal 308win
1 pc SAKO quad Range 22LR (just for fun)

Scope mounts:
SPUHR ISMS (fantastic stuff)
Ruger scope rings
Ior scope rings

Shooters:
7 Military or ex-military sharpshooters or snipers with hunting background, age 23-45 years.

We had the opportunity to test a significant number of riflescopes and spotting scopes from AstroSweden. George from Astrosweden is a very nice guy who was present during the weekend and provided us with info about the optics and collected feedback from us during the entire weekend. He also served as an excellent spotter and proved quite proficient with the 22LR ;-)

The range is an open field with a max range of 1000 meters in the southeast of Sweden
The steel targets were set up from 300m out to 950 m.
Observation ”targets” were placed from 300m out to 500m. They consisted of ”bad guys” faces in natural size or close to. And some eye examination charts, same as used by opcticians.

Condition was quite windy during saturday and the shooting became challenging… Light was good for testing optic though :). We used the evening for shooting lowlight at intermediate distance 300-400 m. During the night to sunday we had a full moon, perfect for spending time in consistent darkness, comparing optic light transmission, illuminated reticles and ease of handling. Sunday morning gave us direct sunlight which was perfect to look for light effects in the scopes and reticles. Very interesting…

We had two guys (George included) who did most of the spotting since they had less experience with long Range shooting. The other six guys (me included) did most of the shooting. We spent close to 1400 rounds and about 15 hours per person behinds an ocular lens. I list this just to point out that the weekend was intense, lots of impressions and of course lots of discussions.

This can therefore hardly pass as a regular test with points and protocols, winners and losers. There was simply too little time and too much optic to go through. We recognize our shortcomings as optical experts, we are shooters who have spent time looking through glass while hunting, observing and shooting in the military and as civilians.

On behalf of our little shooting club and its participants we humbly accept that this is merely our opinions gathered in a short period of time with notebooks, rifles and optics passed around, tried and discussed between shooting sessions - which by itself was quite intense.

OK, here are the results. We believe that you already know the manufacturers and are familiar with the rifle scopes and their features. So, we start of with a discussion of each scope regarding the following points of interest:

Turrets and design:
clicks, shape form and placement, increments, usability

Reticle:
ease of use and likability, illumination ease of use, increments light, ”bleeding”

Optical clarity and resolution:
Field of view and field depth view, backlight performance, eyebox, parallax, twilight performance, clarity and resolution

Last edited:
Hensoldt ZF 6-24x72 IR MIL DOT IR

Well, to start off with this scope is really not fair to the others. In all regards this scope is somewhat in a different league of optics. It is huge! The bell is indeed large and places the ocular lens high.

Turrets are excellent in their shape and distinct clicks. The turrets gave a positive click response and were easy to use also with gloves. Markings were easy to see and .1 clicks gave us an easy time to quickly obtain a grip on counting clicks on the different targets.

Reticle is placed in SFP and are of see-through design, it allows light to pass through as much as possible. The SFP threw us off one or two times, but that was just us being hasty and confused with changing scopes.

The reticle was perfectly adjusted on 10 and 20 power and there was no diviation between reticle and the turret adjustment that we could notice. The reticle illumination is for the whole reticle, and I´m personally not a fan of this, but none of us reacted to it as a negative. It is easy to adjust and can be turned down really low to accommodate everyones taste. No bleeding could be seen by any of us at max power. During daylight/ high noon it is not quite bright enough to use practically, but we did not feel this was negative, just notable.

Optical performance was stellar, really really very good! During daytime we all experienced a very wide field of view and also depth of view. A three dimension feeling that is hard to describe. Also the image seems to float in front of the ocular lens. You hardly saw the circle at all. It was really easy to see the difference in target distance out on the range. Clarity and resolution was excellent.

The eye box is very generous and forgiving. You acquire your target very fast even when shouldering a rifle not fitted to you, with little or no scope shadow whatsoever. Parallax adjustment worked fine and were more to make sure we didn't have the reticle dancing around on the target since we, most of the time used borrowed rifles. Sharpness and clarity appeared in great depth on the range even on the higher magnification (over 20 power) It of course decreased, but in the group it stood out, along with the other three Hensoldt scope close behind or just as good.

If anything clouded the heavens of this magnificent scope it was backlight… We did not use sunshade to challenge the scope, and the backlight was as bad as you can get in the field. Bright, low and a little morning mist. Tricky for any scope! But here we saw light effects such as ghost rings and light reflecting and some complete bright out. Not all of us saw this effect, so it worked fine in back light except for when it got in its weak spots. As far as we could determine it has to do with the exceptionally large objective.

Now, when the daylight went… Oh Boy…! This scope is in it´s element. That objective lens is not for appearance!!! I have never ever looked through glass like this. Especially in moonlight during the night this scope was the reference, we used a hunting tower in the woodlines at 1000m as a reference point. When looking through the Hensoldt all the details came into focus without straining your eyes. It was just there, not bright as day but very clearly visible. And I could not see it at all even with a good dark accommodation (more than 30 minuets of light discipline) Simply outstanding! No scope came really close to this performance, and this is in a good line of competition. Also shooting 25x25 cm steel plates at 400 m during nightfall. The guy shooting with this scope just continued when the others just had to stop. Not fair at all…After 30 minutes of only him shooting we stopped the session, but I think he could have continued if it wasn't for the mist.

To sum up the impressions on the Hensoldt ZF 6-24x72 IR MIL DOT IR I can say that several of us started with the mindset that it is simply too big for practical use, interesting, but impractical. After the weekend a few of us discussed what rifle to fit it with and that it´s not really that big. If you consider weight and objective diameter it is actually compact and short for what it brings to the table.

My interpretation of our behavior is that the scope is so damn good that a person will go through a lot to get that optical performance! Including changing rifle, negotiation with wife/girlfriend, selling the dog and even accepting a SFP… Need I say more? It delivered.

All in all a wonderful riflescope. The issues we had was down to three things:

*Size and weight - You gotta have the rifle and mount for that big guy!

*Back light - Well, sunshade would fix it and none of us noted this as a deal breaker.

*SFP - Although the reticle is well thought out with the cut through design and the readings on the powering is easy to use for milling. It is still a SFP and when pressure is put on your shot, hunting or military, you are more likely to make a mistake. It´s just one more thing to keep track of. If anything this would make me hesitate a little…

Let me know if you like the format or if I´m writing stuff too long and tedious. There is plenty of scopes left to translate from Swedish and I don´t want to bore you... I´ll try to accommodate you.

Attachments

• IMG_6544.jpg
    IMG_6544.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_6486.jpg
    IMG_6486.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6346.jpg
    IMG_6346.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 53
I'm speaking strictly for myself, but I'd like to see then ranked start to finish on the criterias you had above.

Hensoldt ZF 6-24x72 IR MIL DOT IR

Well, to start off with this scope is really not fair to the others. In all regards this scope is somewhat in a different league of optics. It is huge! The bell is indeed large and places the ocular lens high.

Thanks for taking on this project.

Your review of the so-called "Hubble" has inspired me to start making rings for mounting my Vortex Razor HD 20-60x85 spotting scope to my precision rifle.

Joe

Can't wait to hear how they all stack up. Particularly interested in how you feel the ATACR measures up... just picked one up.

I agree with A.Redd you gotta do a list from 1-.....whatever it will be great to reference in the future. Great write up.

Samegawa, thank you for taking the time to post this great information for all of us. Your possibly one of the few people that have been able to partake in such a project with so many top end and mid end scope in one place. I'm sure that many of the guy's here have been reading this info with much enthusiasm for this new info, some are waiting to see how their scope ended up on your summary part of your opinions. I think we all understand that the Hensoldt's, SB's, Kahles and others are at the top of the food chain when it comes to optics. It's great to have all of this information and as far as I'm concerned thats what this great site is all about, members asking questions and chiming in with their expertise and experience.

Now this is me chiming in on this topic. If I was rich I would not hesitate for one millisecond buying a SB, Hensoldt, Kakles or any of these $3-$4 thousand dollar scopes, but since I'm not rich and can't buy one, all I can do is read about them and hope that one of my lotto tickets hits so I can get one. Again thanks and keep it coming.....

Yep, cheers for taking the time to write this up. Very interested to read how you find the March scopes stack against the best that Europe has to offer.

Love my March and Vortex Razor scopes, but can't wait until my BEAST is delivered. I understand they have to be built by hand, which is causing their delay to vendors. Looking forward to further reviews.

Thank you for the encouragement Guys! Glad you find it interesting...:)

Here is the next riflescope, freshly translated:

Hensoldt ZF 4-16x56 FFP LT IR

Ok, another Hensoldt… But with FFP, Zero stop and locking turrets! Yey!!
The turrets are fairly large without protrusions sticking out. Rather a fine grit that provides a good grip without catching gear or vegetation. You pull the turret up and rotate, when you let go it locks. Simple and easy.

The turret covers the entire construction so water will not ”get caught” (hope you know what I mean). Clicks were distinct and quite close in between, sound and feel put a smile to your face , and there was no problem to adjust in darkness with gloves on.

Zero Stop was also a positive added feature on this model. Sorry to say, but we did not use it in the field during this weekend. George showed us how it worked and it seemed intuitive to us.

Increments .1 mil felt just right and was again easy to count and adjust for second shot after spotter adjustment was given. I should mention that it was easy to lie prone and adjust this turret. None of us experienced that we had to break our position to adjust, just move the head a little and you are fine. This also had to do with the Spuhr ISMS mount that was used, thank you Håkan, well done!… ;-)

Parallax adjustment worked very well, and felt by most to be correctly calibrated to distance marked on the turret.

The reticle (see thumbnail) is a cut through design and FFP fine line. We tried different magnification settings to see if it got difficult to use… -No it didn’t… :-D
Just as easy to use on low power as it was on full power. I should point out that FFP is the norm in our group for our own optics, and we are therefore used to it. On the Hensoldt the design stood out as an overall very good design, and a favorite for most of us. Especially on high power were it was a tad bit thinner than the standard mil dot Hensoldt.

The Illumination was again a joy to use, no bleeding on highest power and as low as you´d like in pitch black darkness. Easy to turn off by pushing in the turret.

This scope share optical quality with its bigger brother 6-24x72. It did not have quite the field of view as ”Hubble”, we could hardly tell them apart in daylight. There was no tube vision at all, and it had the same ”floating optical” feeling. Again the depth of view and 3D feeling combined with a generous eye box made it very pleasant to use for long periods of time. We had to remind ourselves to adjust the parallax at times, because the target appeared sharp even with 400 m difference! -Very easy to get a grip of the range and finding targets fast.

As the daylight decreased, the scope stepped up. When other scopes started to become difficult to shoot with, the Hensoldt just kept going in the darkness… 3D field view - still there, resolution - oh yes. We did try it in the moonlight looking at the woodlines, and the hunting tower was no problem to see along with a detailed field of view even at max power (x16), but it was beaten by 6-24x72 compared side by side for some time. By a very small margin…

Another plus for this particular Hensoldt model was back light performance. 7 of us did not experience any of the negative effects seen on Hensoldt 6-24x72. It was not the absolute best in the back light performance category, but very close. One of the shooters had a different opinion regarding backlight performance, he thought it sensitive to backlight but better than the 6-24x72.

To sum up this scope is easy, get one, it has it all: compact, locking turrets, zero stop, great turrets and illumination, smooth and precise parallax adjustment.
It did not have the highest magnification of all scopes, but it was just right… and you could comfortably lie ”glassing” the range for hours without eye fatigue.

If there was one wish that we had it was to get a decent flip up lock like the Tenebraex included.

OK, next up is the March 5-40x56...

Attachments

• Hensoldt_riktmedel_1.jpg
    Hensoldt_riktmedel_1.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Hensoldt_ZF_4-16x56_FF_LT_3.jpg
    Hensoldt_ZF_4-16x56_FF_LT_3.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6493.jpg
    IMG_6493.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 41
Thank you for the investment of your time and findings! Always intrigued by how our European friends view their "own" products with familiarity.

Please continue!

Heh...I have the Zeiss 72mm and it is like a spotting scope on a stick.

Can't wait for the rest of the reviews and impressions.

Hi Guys, time for some japanese glass...

March-FX 5-40x56 FFP FML-1 IR

This scope was mounted on the TRG with Spuhr´s ISMS on both days. We were curious and excited to try it out. From the unboxing, it attracted attention, excitement and hesitation. Could this elegant, sleek looking scope really deliver what the specs say? We were eager to find out…

Turrets are low profile, but still visible. The knobs protrude, but just enough to get good grip. We all liked how it felt bare hands and with gloves. Clicks were just a bliss. Solid, distinct and a really nice sound to it. It felt like when you close a door on a first class mercedes. Like the knobs on a german bank vault…! Yeah I´m overdoing it, but they were the top clicks this weekend, no contest.

Some of the participants preferred a slightly higher turret, while others preferred the sleek profile the March gets with their low turrets. Overall we agreed on: solid, very well made and a very pleasant feeling when clicking. They are not locking turrets, but it felt unlikely that they would click by mistake, by any use or situation we could think of.

Now, that is a good thing, because we had to do a lot of clicking since the increments were
.05 mil. This turned out to be time-consuming and impractical on our shooting session. Shooters normally get the mil call from the spotter and will convert it to clicks on his scope, next shooter fires and get the call and so forth. The March shooter was either holding up the line or lost count.

However the March has a neat feature, a Zero stop so easy to use that all of us got it directly by looking at the turret. This made things easier, but a March shooter is still slower untrained than a US optics shooter untrained.

When you are looking at a scope with a magnification from 5-40 in FFP, one of the first things that come to mind is the reticle. Because there is no way it can be ideal for both x5 and x40… or can it?

The March 5-40x56 had the FML-1 reticle (see thumbnail) and it is a neat solution. We liked it from x5 all the way out to x40. For me personally it was a pleasant surprise to see it perform so well on the low side of the scale. Lowest sett it looks like a normal floating crosshair, and on the highest, the floating .05 diameter dot works very well for us.

The illumination comes in either high setting or low setting from the factory. This was the low setup. The pushbutton is located on the parallax adjustment, and has I think four settings and the off in a cycle. This is a sensible setup in our opinion, when you want to minimize and streamline the scope. The button is large enough to access with gloves. We saw no ”bleeding” of the reticle at the highest power. Like the Hensoldt it was a little to weak for daylight / high noon use in this configuration. The lowest setting appeared a touch too bright, not bad but could have been one step lower power. Another thought was to have just the dot illuminated with same brightness.

Optically… hmm, how to describe it… the March 5-40x56 is crystal clear and extremely sharp. In resolution there were none to beat it. Color, saturation were flawless also at the highest magnification (x40). It had little or no issues in backlight and, to our surprise, did very well in all kinds of angles we threw at it, altering power setting back and forth. We saw a slight tunneling at the lowest power set, but you had to look for it to see it.

The darkness had little effect on the March, it performed very well - surprisingly well if you think of the magnification range. We saw details in the moonlit wood line at 1000m with power set at x8, and could see the hunting tower but not with the details that the Hensoldts could, although closer than anticipated.

But, and there is a big but with this scope. You have to love adjusting parallax if you shoot with this scope. Everything described above concerning optic performance came with a lot of parallax adjustment. The depth of view is short, it actually reminds me more of photography were sharpness appear in one distinct point. The higher power you have, the trickier it got for us. We thought it was somewhat difficult during daytime, in darkness it was really hard.

Eyebox was ok at low power, but as you climbed the power ladder, the eye box shrunk down, and parallax adjustment became very sensitive. I observed the guys shooting the TRG mounted March. They were wiggling their heads, stretching necks and constantly adjusting the parallax. After some missed shots, they started to mumble things I could not hear.

The problem was down to three things: sensitive parallax combined with short depth of view; small eye box on higher power setting; borrowed rifles.

We all wanted to shoot well with this scope, we were intrigued with it and tried our best to shoot small groups on high power setting. It did not work as well as we wanted, so we decided to keep it on the TRG and try one more time sacrificing time on one of the Hensoldts.

Sunday morning I had made up my mind to give the scope some serious work and started with two spotters on my side with some nice glass. I adjusted the TRG as best I could and worked my way out on the steel targets. Very carefully adjusting the parallax as I went by 500m and I was still hitting… And then my spotters started to pick up vapor trails. After some shooting corrections I was also able to see vapor trail through the scope! :cool:

I tried a couple of shots on 950m and was on target for three shots in a row with the March 5-40x56 with standard 7.62x51 NATO ammo. This with a borrowed rifle and a new scope! OK enough bragging. My fellow shooter who struggled with same setup is a better shooter than I am. But the setup did not fit him on this day, and the March is unforgiving.

So, you have to treat it like a F1 car, fiddle a lot with parallax, adjust your rifle to exactly fit your face and then you have a scope that can deliver optical resolution, clarity and magnification like no other scope.

We predict that the learning curve for this march scope to work properly, is much longer than any other scope we looked at during this weekend.

And for tactical work at dawn or dusk with pressure… I don´t know, too sensitive and difficult to adjust under stress. You can see the benchrest heritage in the scope, and it is wonderful in many ways, but the price you pay is to give up a lot of practicality by tuning and adjusting.

Attachments

• IMG_2267.jpg
    IMG_2267.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6371.jpg
    IMG_6371.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 44
  • March 5-40x56 Tactical FFP FML 1 5x.jpg
    March 5-40x56 Tactical FFP FML 1 5x.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 47
  • March 5-40x56 Tactical FFP FML 1 40x.jpg
    March 5-40x56 Tactical FFP FML 1 40x.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 53
  • March riktmedel FML1 5-40x parametrar.jpg
    March riktmedel FML1 5-40x parametrar.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Reactions: mmahoney
Good evening Gentlemen, you do keep me busy translating with your encouragement. Thank you for being nice to the rookie :)

Now, another March for you...

March-F 3-24x42 FFP FML-1 IR

We spent a lot of time with its bigger brother so this scope got less attention in some ways.
The specs are good, but in the crowd of scopes you had to look closer to see this little gem.
It looks like a scaled down version of the 5-40x56. Very small if you consider the specifications.

Turrets are the same as the 5-40x56, just as well made and they look very good on this small scope, sleek and streamlined without sacrificing grip or usability. Clicks are wonderful as we expected and increments are .1 mil! This feature made it a lot easier following spotter calls.

In fact everything regarding the reticle and illumination is the same as 5-40x56, except the reticle has .1 mil dot instead of .05. This is just right for its magnification setting and we were all pleased with the reticle and illumination on this little March scope. No bleeding, easy to use on all magnification and a nice big button to press when changing light setting.

I think that it is actually when we come to optical performance we start to smile more than the 5-40x56. Maybe we expected less and were pleasantly surprised, or we just were amazed that you can get so much out of such a small package.

It is really as clear and sharp as the 5-40x56. Adjusting the parallax is still necessary, but not as much… It is still tricky to get everything right on highest magnification, but not as difficult…

The eye box does get small after x20, but within x20… well, it´s, maybe not generous and forgiving, but definitely decent enough for practical use. Because of the magnification, the scope was easy to grasp the range with. Field of view appeared wide, again wider than we expected when looking through this small scope.

The depth of view is still shorter than most scopes this weekend, but we seemed to struggle less with the eye box, not so much wiggling and stretched necks. We were hitting targets faster and adjusting faster compared with 5-40x56.

So, what about twilight? We were again surprised… The light transmission is remarkable! For a scope that has a 42 mm objective lens it was a lot better than we expected. When setting the magnification to x8 we could again see details in the wood line and see some parts of the hunting tower.

When looking in backlight it performed very well, with little or no light effects, no bright outs were found by any of us. The reticle appeared black and with high contrast even in almost direct backlight.

The scope is simply a lot of optical and mechanical quality in a very compact size, considering 28 mils of elevation travel in a 30mm tube, or 3-24 magnification in a total length of 312 mm
and weight of 640 grams… It should not compete as well as it does with the bigger scopes!

Sure, the Hensoldts win in the dark, but not by that much. The 3D feeling is still not close to what the Hensoldt scope can do, but the small March is on par regarding sharpness and resolution.

The conclusion was; March 3-24x42 is the winner of ”most scope per gram” in all categories! A very well built solid scope to put on a hunting rifle or light tactical rig. Easy to mount low for a sleek smooth setup. After all, it is easy to add accessories to a rig; it is more difficult to decide what you can do without. Do we really need a scope that weighs more than 1 kg? With this scope it just became harder for us to answer ”Yes!” to that question…

P.S. The close-up pics are from a previous occasion, it was of course never shot with with one scope ring... just to show how sleek it can go on a ruger.

Attachments

• DSC_8079.jpg
    DSC_8079.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_8083.jpg
    DSC_8083.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC_8090.jpg
    DSC_8090.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6411.jpg
    IMG_6411.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 43
  • March 3-24x42 Tactical FML1 IR.jpg
    March 3-24x42 Tactical FML1 IR.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 43
The conclusion was; March 3-24x42 is the winner of ”most scope per gram” in all categories! A very well built solid scope to put on a hunting rifle or light tactical rig. Easy to mount low for a sleek smooth setup. After all, it is easy to add accessories to a rig; it is more difficult to decide what you can do without. Do we really need a scope that weighs more than 1 kg? With this scope it just became harder for us to answer ”Yes!” to that question…
There it is... Start saving your pennies. This is the mag range and weight that other scopes don't get? Only scope I'm waiting to see is the new Bushnell hunting scope. If they stop at 12x ill just keep saving.

Hi Guys,

Christmas is upon us and translation is slowed down by its obligations. Currently working on the US optic scopes...

Some pics from the range for now...

Merry Christmas!!!

Emil

Attachments

• Bilder Iphone 2013 167 (1).jpg
    Bilder Iphone 2013 167 (1).jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Bilder Iphone 2013 175 (1).jpg
    Bilder Iphone 2013 175 (1).jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Bilder Iphone 2013 201 (1).jpg
    Bilder Iphone 2013 201 (1).jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 38
Excellent work on this! Thank you for taking the time to share what looks like several long days of note taking!